sat nav advice needed

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
guys need some advice on my tom tom xl sat nav
it stopped working a couple of weeks ago so i returned it to halfords for a check
was told that because i didnt use it much the batterie has probably died
and not much i can do about it halfords would not replace it and nor probably tom tom
trouble is its like new condition and been used about 20 times in four years .

should i try and push it a bit wiyh halfords tom tom etc .
through it out and give it up as a bad job
or does anyone on here repair them or could get it swapped out .
advice welcomed regards pete .

TomTom will replace the batteries, at your expense.
Probably be cheaper to buy a new one.

Neil. :)

guys need some advice on my tom tom xl sat nav
it stopped working a couple of weeks ago so i returned it to halfords for a check
was told that because i didnt use it much the batterie has probably died
and not much i can do about it halfords would not replace it and nor probably tom tom
trouble is its like new condition and been used about 20 times in four years .

should i try and push it a bit wiyh halfords tom tom etc .
through it out and give it up as a bad job
or does anyone on here repair them or could get it swapped out .
advice welcomed regards pete .

Pete

A few thoughts...

Does it work with the power led connected? If so I'd agree it probably is the battery. In which case, you could probably use it as is? Not ideal maybe but better than nothing.

If it is the battery and Halfords won't do anything and you don't want to use it on a power lead then as Hornet says, probably best to buy another one (not a TomTom?!). If you felt like it, you could try and get into the thing and see if the battery is in fact replaceable - not a not to lose.

Andrew

Pete, is the back not screwed on?
As Andrew says probably worth a go just to see if you can replace the battery.
basil.

Tom Tom had a known fault with them, ring them up Pete and see what you can get out of them. a guy at work has done this and got a new one out of them.

Jonathon

And Halfords say it can't be done???? They'd obviously rather sell you a new one. As Jonathan says, worth trying to get something out of TomTom before you take a screwdriver to your unit!

Andrew

I have had a tom tom for quite a few years and about 4 years ago it just went blank and would not power up.
If you look at the bottom there is a small hole that resets it i just used a paper clip, and jobs a good one always have a paper clip in car ash tray now..
It stll has the same batteries they have never been changed since i got it round about 2005..:D

update tried the reset button no joy power light on but will not fire up at all
been on to tom tom went through procedure still no joy .
quoted me 70 pounds repair fee or would replace with new if could not fix
still waiting on a call from them that was yesrerday lunchtime
regards pete .

Back