Sausage advice

griff

Where are people getting the sausage skins from? I'd like to try this. I've not yet got my mincer but will certainly be giving this ago when I do!
Try Scobie and Junior in Glasgow..
I use quinoa instead of breadcrumbs it adds and nutty flavour and is suitable for Celiacs/gluten free.

jb1

Where are people getting the sausage skins from? I'd like to try this. I've not yet got my mincer but will certainly be giving this ago when I do!

1/4 of a hank will doe you about 5 kilo, use hog casing, dont be tempted to use lamb casing, not for starters, you may end up with a load of split skins.

gelert

Each to their own of course.

Using pork has been the old proven trad method for centuries,that we do know.
Adding minced pork would make minced Wombat meat palatable.
Alot has been done over the centuries doesn't make it right.
I did them for a long time untill I turned over to beef using a 60/40 spli.
My pheasant ones need the pork to get the fat content just right.

dazb1967

Alot has been done over the centuries doesn't make it right.
I did them for a long time untill I turned over to beef using a 60/40 spli.
My pheasant ones need the pork to get the fat content just right.
60/40 which way, Is that 60% Venison 40% Beef or other way round.

Yokel Matt

Tongmaster was good for small quantities of casings when I used to only do a few kilos every now and again. Last ages in the fridge and you could buy a hang in 10 individual vac packed pouches.
1 spool should of 34-36 mil hog casings should fill between 4-5 kg depending which is ideas for a roe forequarter plus pork and seasonings.

griff

Tell me more - I have GF people to cook for, would be interested - is this cooked and used whole/ blitzed/ dry?
Hi,
just cook it, it expands tremendously then rinse with cold water to cool it down, I use about 100 gms per kilo of cooked Quinoa..We use to make about 200kg a week of venison sausages and this method suited all those that require a GF diet.
3kg of venison
1 kg pork fat
100gms Quinoa
18gms per kilo of our Cumberland spice mix.

Cube it all, then coat with the spices and Quinoa and then mince once with 5mm plate.. if you require burgers then we mince them twice..

regards
N

gelert

No, not beef. It wrecks the subtle flavour of the venison. For the same reason, never use beef stock in a venison casserole, stew or soup.
When I did my apprenticeship with my local butcher 20 ish years ago this is how I was taught.
Still make them the same way and sell a lot, never had any complaints yet.

VSS

When I did my apprenticeship with my local butcher 20 ish years ago this is how I was taught.
Still make them the same way and sell a lot, never had any complaints yet.
Fair enough, if it works for you :tiphat:
But maybe your customers haven't sampled the alternative?
Having tried venison cooked with beef stock / fat alongside venison cooked with pork fat or vegetable stock, I do feel that the beefy flavour is too overpowering.

TheCornishman

Fair enough, if it works for you :tiphat:
But maybe your customers haven't sampled the alternative?
Having tried venison cooked with beef stock / fat alongside venison cooked with pork fat or vegetable stock, I do feel that the beefy flavour is too overpowering.
Have to concur... venison sausages often benefit from the addition of fat but it should be pork, goose or duck fat if you truly want to taste the venison. Both pork and beef fat are too strong in flavour profile. That said, food and how it tastes is a very personal choice. Let’s hope those vegans never realise just how tasty venison is!...

JockStalk

Have to concur... venison sausages often benefit from the addition of fat but it should be pork, goose or duck fat if you truly want to taste the venison. Both pork and beef fat are too strong in flavour profile. That said, food and how it tastes is a very personal choice. Let’s hope those vegans never realise just how tasty venison is!...
I tried vegan fat, but there's nowt on them.