Sausage skins

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

GWP

Which skins are best for venison sausages natural or collagen just used some natural and not over impresed they seem a bit thick these came from butchers sundries are there any better or are they all the same

Dave Lakes

Which skins are best for venison sausages natural or collagen just used some natural and not over impresed they seem a bit thick these came from butchers sundries are there any better or are they all the same
I’ve had good natural ones from Weschenfelder. Have you tried soaking for longer and giving the insides a scrape? I find collagen can be a bit plasticky if you don’t prep them exactly as directed

Woodsmoke

I tend to use sheep casings these days. Hog casings are ok for larger sausages, but as you say they can be a bit tough on occasion. Using lemon juice in the soaking water, and changing it a couple of times helps. They also need a longer soak. I don't use collagen for anything other than snack sticks these days, myself

StephenToast

I started with Collagen but they are shite. Unless you like fake processed sausages like that Richmond irish crap, and if you did you'd not be making your own I guess.

I prefer hog casings as I do enjoy a big sausage. I've not found them tough but I'll be trying Woodsmoke's lemon juice tip as his skimmed milk powder tip has revolutionised the moisture in my meaty morsels.

takbok

I use collagen casings from Weschenfelder. Very easy to use straight out of the box with none of the problems mentioned above.

IMG-20211012-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20211012-WA0019.jpeg

IMG_20211013_205748508.jpg

StephenToast

I had a sausage making book that said collagen is best for beginners because they don't split as easily and are more uniform. The more uniform bit is true but the splitting bit is total tripe.

Why would you want uniform, home made sausages anyway? I enjoy them fat and wonky.

sauer

Sheep casings or collagen nowadays…. Found hog casings too rubbery and chewy …

The two above never had issue … waaay better

Paul

aris

Sheep casings or collagen nowadays…. Found hog casings too rubbery and chewy …

The two above never had issue … waaay better

Paul
Rubbery casings can be due to either poor quality or old casings, or casings which have not been soaked in fresh water long enough.

jb1

Bear in mind you will get a little in consistency with natural casing as against collagen.

If you do use sheep casing make your mix slightly moister than normal, you reduce the risk of splitting the thinner casings, specially for beginners.
Personally i dont use them with hand cranked stuffers (too much of a pain), industrial knee operated stuffers yes, its easier to guide the sausage from the tube and reduce splitting.

You should always flush the casing inside under the tap for few minutes with a slow trickle, i pull the case over the end of the tap and flush though into a bowl. This is done before i start doing anything else its then left to soak for quite a while. I then start the process of trimming and weighing all the ingredients, only when i'm ready do i feed on to the tube's.

UK Outfitters