Savage Arms Model 42

Territory Hunting

2130martin

Anyone got one of these?.....I am thinking of getting one for carrying when checking the Pheasants,Fox wires and walking the dogs.....looks a handy little tool.....anyone know where to get one?

Mr. Gain

There are usually several on Guntrader/Gun Star (N.B. they were also sold under the Atlas brand).

It's worth trying the trigger and balance on more than one before you buy, because the quality of these varies quite a lot, and the earlier examples are generally the best, though that can be offset by poorly maintained bores.

For a cheapish combination gun, though, I prefer the Baikal IZH-94, also sold under the Remington brand as the Spartan SPR 94, as it has an internal hammer and is easier to fit a scope to. Nevertheless, Savage did some interesting rifle calibres in the Model 24, offering .30-30 and .357 over a 20g shot barrel, something not found in the Baikal.

2130martin

Still considering getting one of these,if I do,can I get it shortened to a 300mm barrel as per rifle barrel or does it have to be 600mm as per shotgun......anybody got a shotgun shorter than 600mm???
Thanks in advance
Martin

Mr. Gain

Still considering getting one of these,if I do,can I get it shortened to a 300mm barrel as per rifle barrel or does it have to be 600mm as per shotgun......anybody got a shotgun shorter than 600mm???
Thanks in advance
Martin

There's no problem having a short combination gun, provided it meets the 30/60 cm (12"/24") rule for S1. You would, of course, be left with an un-choked shotgun barrel that, in .410, would be OK for traps but not so great for other things as the original choked bore.

Another option would be Chiappa's Double Badger, M6-22 or X-Caliber, all of which fold, giving you a more compact package without the need to shorten the barrels. (Edgar Bros. is the UK distributor).

Muir

That Chiappa Little Badger is one unfortunate piece of shooting gear. How did it look before the fire I wonder?? :D ~Muir

Last edited:
UK Outfitters