Savages?

Labrat

Have been hunting high and low to find my new rifle, and confronted by too many choices - have settled on roughly a grand budget for the rifle and moderator

I want a new one, as I plan for it to be a keeper, and a working/practical rifle

Have looked at tikka's (lovely, but just stretch the budget a bit far if I go for the stainless and the stock still seem a bit rough for the price) Howa's (bargain, till you factor in a decent stock) Browning (horrid trigger and stock)

what has crept onto my radar recently is the Savage model 16 weather warriors - seem to have all the attributes and a lovely stock and trigger combination

the more I look at them, the more they seem like an ideal setup - anyone gone one or used one enough to pass comment?

cheers

Mr. Gain

I've owned a couple of Savages and found them very sound rifles. One was pretty accurate, the other -which was older but little used- less so.

IME they don't have particularly smooth actions, and don't have much "feel" or "pointability". On the plus side, there are plenty of after-market bits for them, albeit not as many as for Remington 700s.

The Model 16's "synthetic" stock is better described as "plastic", too, so if you don't like the X-Bolt's stock, I don't think you'll like the Savage's, especially if you compare it to a Hogue on a Howa. The Remington 700 SPS stainless would be worth looking at too, though the stock is still a bit plasticky (basically, they all are at this level), as any bits you don't much like now can always be upgraded in the future as funds allow, something you can also do with Howas, but less so with Savages or Tikkas, and scarcely at all with Brownings.

Alternatively, you could spend a bit more on the rifle now and offset the extra with a S/H moderator.

I'm sorry if this puts a bit of a dampener on your Savage plan, but in the end, only you can decide what feels right in your hands, so heft and fondle as many of the options as you can before making your choice. Hmm, maybe that didn't come out quite as I meant!

Labrat

No, any feedback welcome

the 'plasticky' comment was more over the fact that unlike any of the others the savage had the new 'accustock' with a full alloy bed - which seemed to make it unbeatable in the price bracket.

Claret_Dabbler

What calibre?

I would strongly suggest you look at the SH market. Your budget will buy a fair bit of quality if you are careful.

jthyttin

unlike any of the others the savage had the new 'accustock' with a full alloy bed - which seemed to make it unbeatable in the price bracket.

You can get Howa with the full bedding block Hogue stock. They run maybe 80-100 Euro higher when available at egun.de etc. so expect to pay extra if you find one. I'd just get a barreled action since they're also available, and drop in a stock of my choosing.

alberta boy

I've owned a number of savage 110's, 111's and even an old single shot version in 22-250. They aren't the prettiest rifle you'll ever own , but every one I've owned shot very well. I've shot a 116 in 7mm RM that belongs to a friend and I was impressed at its accuracy. As far as the synthetic stock goes, its no worse than the competitions and better than most due to the aluminum bedding block. The accu-trigger ( first time I tried one, and the main reason I asked to shoot my friends rifle) worked really well. Over all , they are a very reliable, accurate and reasonably priced rifle that IMHO gets unfairly over looked. I still own two and am very happy with them. Hope this helps

AB

Wheesht!

jthyttin: funnily enough i've been thinking about doing just that.

Got a price this morning of £540 for a stainless barrelled action....

Another plus is you can buy the "Weatherby" branded bottom metal/plastic and 3 shot detachable magazine for the Howa from the US for about £65 too.

Last edited:

Hales Smut

Living in the UK, I would consider a quality second hand rifle. Guntrader seems very intresting. A similar service/website is not availble here in Belgium. I never have seen a secondhand Tikka T3 here.
Don't forget a Browning A bolt. They are very cheap at the moment and for about 25/30 pound you get a pair of replacement springs from Timney to bring the trigger down to about 2 pounds. A gunsmith charged my friend 15£ to install them. Light, good safety, practical magazine, .........

MarinePMI

I'll echo the positive comments on the Savages and add that if the model you're considering has the accu-stock, then don't worry, they are very solid. The accu-stock is significantly more sturdy than the standard "tupperware" stocks found on most budget brand/model rifles. I have one on a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I had intended to swap it out. The problem is, is that the accustock has performed so well, I can't really justify moving the action into a chassis system....

​JMTCW...

Mr. Gain

No, any feedback welcome

the 'plasticky' comment was more over the fact that unlike any of the others the savage had the new 'accustock' with a full alloy bed - which seemed to make it unbeatable in the price bracket.

I'll stand corrected on that one. My synthetic-stocked Savage pre-dated the Accustock, which, I have to admit, I'd forgotten about, and is, as you suggest, an altogether different, and better, item. :oops:

Muir

I have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 308 with the Accu-Stock. It is an insanely accurate rifle, and was right out of the box. It will put a bullet anywhere the cross hair is when the trigger breaks. (My way of saying it is far more accurate than I) Savages are a very accurate rifle and the Savages I've handled lately are exceptionally smooth. I panted over a walnut stocked Model 11 in 6.5 Creedmore last Saturday. Didn't do it, but it was worth owning.~Muir

nuttyspaniel

I had a savage 111g in 25-06. It had a wooden stock. As said perhaps not the most attractive but it shot fantasticly. The only reason I dong have it any more is I got an insane deal on a 308 which I need as Im hoping to get to Africa in a year.. Its sitting in Brock and Norris at the moment.

Nutty

I have two Savages, one in 6BR and one 6.5x284. I think these are very underrated rifles, although mine aren't stalking rifles they share many common attributes.
The Accutrigger is good but can easily be upgraded with something like a Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger. These are "drop in" units and can easily be fitted yourself.

The barrels are screwed in and held in place with a locknut, the advantage being that barrels/calibres can be changed and headspace adjusted very easily, another "do it yourself" job, and can be bought ready chambered.

The design of the floating bolt head allows it to self align adding to the excellent accuracy. It has one of the fastest locktimes of any rifle.
The bolt action can easily be improved with a simple well know modification.
So - I'm one happy Savage owner.

Five shots 110 yds.

Eyefor

I have owned two Savages.

One 22-250 stainless / synthetic / heavy barrel and one 7mm-08 16FVSS (Weather Warrior) stainless / synthetic / standard weight barrel.

Echoing Mr Muir they are "insanely accurate" and far more accurate than I am.

I could post pics of groups but that gets boring but the 7mm-08 up to 400 yards was beyond belief. I tuned 175gr, 140gr and 100gr home brews to go through the same hole at 200 yards.

The accutriggers I could not get light enough for my liking so I purchased an after market spring from Savage Shooters in the US which made a lot of difference for (IIRC) $6.

I would have no hesitation in recommending you buy one!

Tom D

I have a savage rimfire, which is a nice wee rifle, and I had a good look at a .308 weather warrior that was in the weldon gunroom while my mate was after a .308. it is a nice rifle, baybe not sako quality finish but in practical terms very nice, no worse than a rem700 anyway.

PS its still there.. Savage Arms .308 Warrior Bolt Action New for sale. Buy for 635.

Its pretty good actually, the pics show how nicely the bottom metal fits, better than some rifles I have seen...

alberta boy

I have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 308 with the Accu-Stock. It is an insanely accurate rifle, and was right out of the box. It will put a bullet anywhere the cross hair is when the trigger breaks. (My way of saying it is far more accurate than I) Savages are a very accurate rifle and the Savages I've handled lately are exceptionally smooth. I panted over a walnut stocked Model 11 in 6.5 Creedmore last Saturday. Didn't do it, but it was worth owning.~Muir

Hmmmm, I didn't know that Savage made a walnut model 11 in 6.5 Creedmore, that would be very cool. I'm surprised you didn't scoop it Andy or are you still not buying any rifles yet?

Steve

6pt-sika

I've sold about 6 of the Savage Long Range Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor to friends and all of them have shot very very well ! Same can be said for a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor as well . Sold a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor to another friend and he seems pleased with it !

When the Savage Hog Hunter came out a friend got one in 308 and handed it to me to make sub sonic suppressed loads and that thing shot about 3/4 MOA at 100 !
And with the subsonic load and the suppressor attached it was less noise then 22LR subsonic unsuppressed !

Labrat

Thanks for all the pointers

Funny you should mention the hog hunter 6pt-Sika - I had my eyes on that one, and have been told by Edgar Brothers that they're not bringing it in... it looks like a pretty nice rifle setup for the price (even better if it had the accustock and a drop box!)