Schultz and Larsen

big ears

Calling all S&L owners. I'm quite taken by these rifles in principle and am looking for first hand experience from those who own one.

1. Does the stock keep its looks?
2. How accurate are they with factory ammo? Are they fussy?
3. Does the POI change much when barrel is taken off and on?
4. Would you buy anything different next time?

thanks in advance.

BE

stubear

Calling all S&L owners. I'm quite taken by these rifles in principle and am looking for first hand experience from those who own one.

1. Does the stock keep its looks?
2. How accurate are they with factory ammo? Are they fussy?
3. Does the POI change much when barrel is taken off and on?
4. Would you buy anything different next time?

thanks in advance.

BE
I have one - A Victory in .308 and I love it, very pleased with it.

The stock keeps its looks well and if it starts to look a bit tired then a rub down with some linseed oil will restore it nicely. I had mine out in the slashing rain a couple of weekends ago and gave it a rub with some linseed when I got home, and its like new now.

Like any rifle they do have particular brands they like. I'm using Federal 150gr Power Shoks in mine and it easily shoots a 1" group at 100 yards with that load. I've also heard S&L seem to like Winchester and RWS ammo though I've not used them myself. Mine didnt get on with Norma at all and the 170gr GECO Teilmantle wasnt much better so I'm not using those any more.

I've not done much barrel removing as I only have the one barrel, but I did take it off and on again when I bought it up at Ivythorn sporting and it didnt seem to make any difference to the POI.

And to question 4, no definitely not! I would buy this rifle again and if I get another calibre (toying with .243 for smaller deer and foxes) then I would buy another S&L Victory in a flash. Or a spare barrel for the one I have!

Cracking rifles with great classic looks and shoot really nicely, cant recommend them enough.

Wills

I do a fair bit of sales and PR for a certain gunshop and have sold a fair few. Customer feedback has been very positive to say the least, so much that Im looking at getting one in one of the higher grades of walnut. They just feel a solid piece of kit.

diverdave

i have 2 victory's, a 243 and 3006, delighted with them. As said above, the finish dulls in time, but comes alive and looks like new after a 10 second linseed oil wipe. I have a couple of friends who like the look of them dull, but i prefer them when oiled.

Mine has only shot home loads, and i tried them with the loads i had developed for my prohunters, and have simply stuck with it, accuracy is certainly as good as anything else i have shot. No complaints there.

Barrel on and off makes no noticeable difference, but there is a sequence you must follow, it is simple but important.

I can see no reason to ever buy another rifle, these are perfect for my needs, and friends who have looked at and tried them and considering changing to them.

I can see these increasing steadily in cost, as they are so well made, offer so much for so little money in comparison to other brands.

ejg

I hope to get a lightweight tactical S&L in the next year. S&L has quite a variety of different actions and a large selection of moderators.
edi

big ears

Thanks for all your replies. Good to hear about keeping POA. Very positive. Think I need to shoulder one and see how it feels

Moonraker68

I bought a Schultz and Larsen Classic in 30-06 earlier this year and the added a Victory in 7x57 a few months ago. I am impressed with them; very high quality at a good price.

meles meles

We have S&L Traveller in 7.92x57, purchased from Ivythorn Shooting. It's an excellent rifle, outstandingly accurate with factory ammunition (Privi softpoints !), and returned to zero on the (so far only) occasion when we took the barrel off and replaced it - simply to test that capability. It shoulders well, brings the sights (Meopta 6x42) perfectly up to the eye, and is lightweight enough to carry all day. The action is slicker than a slick thing on greased ice. The stock is well made and bedded, it takes only a quick wipe with linseed oil to keep it looking pristine. Service from Louis & Steve at Ivythorn was impeccable: I'd recommend paying them a visit and trying one.

Last edited:

JTO

When Steve Beaty ordered me a S&L moderator, it was there the next day, so I guess a rifle would be just as quick if you wanted a calibre he hasn't got on the shelf.

prm

i have 2 classic dl and they both shoots well with handloads and lapua factory ammo
1 in 6,5x47 lapua 26 "match barrel 19mm and a 300wsm 24"match barrel and flutet
they were ordred without stock and put i a grs decima sporter

big ears

Finally got to Ivythorn and had a day with Steve. The service is second to none, could not have been better. The long and short after many hours of chat and trying guns I have done a deal on a victory in 30-06. As soon as my variation is in I'm off to pick it up.

BE

stubear

Finally got to Ivythorn and had a day with Steve. The service is second to none, could not have been better. The long and short after many hours of chat and trying guns I have done a deal on a victory in 30-06. As soon as my variation is in I'm off to pick it up.

BE
Awesome! Congratulations on the new toy, would love to see some pictures when you have it!

Steve is a top bloke and the service is well worth the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big ears

So today was the day. Picked up my new rifle from Ivythorn. Brilliant service again by Steve. All sighted in and put three billets through same hole with factory federal ammo. Then went with Richard (Devon deer) on way home to try and christen it.there were deer there but none safe to shoot, but a great evening out. Maybe next time!
IMG_0888.jpg

devon deer stalker

Yes that is a stunning rifle, glad you received good service from Steve at Ivythorne.
That was very close to christening the rifle on its first outing, the rule we both abide by, if there is doubt, there is no doubt, we don't take the shot, but they will still be there in a few weeks time BE.
Cheers
Richard

Rupert J

What a stunning rifle. I have admired them for some time at Ivythorne. How are you getting on with it big ears? What do you find the weight like when out stalking? Have you fitted a moderator? I'm interested as I've set my heart of a Victory in .243 with a straight fluted barrel.
Steve at Ivythorne is a great chap, and I would not consider purchase anywhere else.

keith rippin

I have a Victory in 308 calibre - I did not like the shape of the stock (personal preference only) and am therefore restocking it to fit me. It is a stunning rifle and, when new, the blueing (or blacking) is superb - unfortunately in restocking (after taking out and re fitting the metal to the wood a number of times) the blueing/blacking has worn back to bare metal in places and I have never had this happen to the Remies, the Sakos or the Heym which I have previously restocked. I am therefore considering having the action Cerekoted if it can give anything like a blued or blacked finish.

I cannot recommend both Alan Rhone and Steve Beatty (Ivythorne) highly enough for the help they have gone out of their way to provide, in particular the bedding blocks when there were none available elsewhere in the country.