Schultz & Larsen Victory versus Heym SR30?

Boogie

Evening all,

I am in the market for a new rifle for stalking reds up north. I have heard many good things about Schultz & Larsen Victory in terms of accuracy and quality, which appeals to me. But I would really appreciate how they compare with a Heym SR30. I already have a .308 (Sauer 202 which I like) but have really enjoyed shooting a 7x57, almost no muzzle flip, can see the bullet strike and the bonus of less recoil (although no big deal with a 308). I have narrowed it down to these the brands, would love to hear how they compare from those who know the, both.
Many Thanks
Boogie

Great question, I too have a Sauer 202 and considered heym and s&l, both lovely rifles, and I could not decide between them, ended up going for neither (for no negative reasons).

So although I can’t answer your question I’m sure either are a sound choice coming from a Sauer 202 background!

Shultz and Larsens and Heym SR30 are of a very similar good old fashioned hewn from solid walnut and steel type quality. Both will shoot well. Choice comes down to a matter of which fits better and which you prefer. The SR 30 is a straight pull, S&L a conventional bolt. The S&L does have an easily detachable barrel so easy to swap calibres.

Thanks Stalker .308 and Heym Sr20. I am not bothered by switch barrel - sounds great in principle but I am not sure it’s a real benefit I my experience.i was set on S&L but not so sure having done some research. 1st world problems....

I've had both and has already been said there is little to choose between them. Alan Rhone who handles S&L really is a top chap as is Steve Beaty who is an S&L Dealer.

I really liked the 202 Sauers I've had and would probably because of that go there again, but it would be a very close race for me between the two makes. Whichever you go for, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Stalker .308 and Heym Sr20. I am not bothered by switch barrel - sounds great in principle but I am not sure it’s a real benefit I my experience.i was set on S&L but not so sure having done some research. 1st world problems....
One good thing about the switch barrel of the S&L is that it is brilliantly easy to clean and especially the chamber. Access is so easy and they go back together and shoot to zero. Brilliant system and if you do shoot out a barrel, no bother getting it sorted. No waiting for rebarrels and smith work.

I have an S&L and don't use the switch barrel part as intended but it is good in other ways. The Heyms are also nice rifles. I would pick them up and see what you feel suits you best.

So I've got an SR20 Heym in .243 and looking to get a 7x57 S&L. The Heym is lovely. But didn't fancy two rifles by same company! Not met anyone who had a bad word to say aout S&L. Speak to Steve Beaty from Ivythorne. He knows both rifles very well: I bought my Heym from him and will be buying the S&L from him also. Very similar in a fashion. The S&L has cut rifled barrels made by themselves and allegedly this is amazing. Don't think you'd go wrong with either frankly.

For travelling the switch barrel of the S&L may be useful, and they do a dedicated take down version where you can get to the barrel screws via the stock. You undo two or three screws and pull out barrel. You then have a stock length package.

On the standard one, you take off the stock - 2 screws and then take off the barrel.

On the Heym (or for that matter any bolt action rifle) you undo the two stock screws and you then have a shorter package - barrel plus action, plus inch or so scope over hang. You can get most rifles into a 30” case.

I really like S&L but some have poor welding were the bolt handle is attached to the bolt.

First thing I look at now alas.

I don’t know the SR30, but have an SR21, which shares many features. They are very nice rifles, and have the potential to be extremely accurate. But they are not free of problems, and you need to be aware of the things that can go wrong with them or you will get very frustrated chasing down the gremlins!

Had two Heym rifles a 7x57 & 8x68s both very fine and accurate.
I have only handled the S&L victory, personally I I would choose the S&L.

Thanks all for the feedback, I have a few weeks before the variation comes through to make my mind up. Will let you know when I have been shopping - seems like both are good options.

I have both a Heym SR 30 in 7x57 and an S&L Victory in .308. They are both superbly accurate and the S&L has the advantage that you can change calibres and get a new barrel if you wear out the original.
My Heym is one of the older versions (I bought it from Litts of Newport before they disappeared) and you have to hold the bolt open in the cocking position against the spring when inserting it in the raceway and this can be a pain - in the newer versions you can lock the bolt open to insert it in the action so that particular problem has been addressed.
The S&L is heavier than the Heym and this could be a consideration depending where you are stalking and how fit you are.
Both bolts are extremely smooth in operation - the Heym locks up on ballbearings which, when sliding the bolt, act as "runners" down the raceway - the S&L bolt is just smooth in any event - neither bolt is sloppy in any way.
I personally prefer the safety on the Heym and it is easier to decock than the S&L.
The trigger on the S&L is better than on my Heym - I don't know whether the Heym triggers have improved since I bought mine however.
I have restocked both rifles so that the stocks fit me - my S&L had too slender a forend for me and the rake of the front of the pistol grip was not sufficiently vertical to fit my hand.
The Heym had a "continental" style cheekpiece which I did not like and the palm swell on the pistol grip was too far back to be comfortable for me.
You really should try both rifles before purchase and, certainly for the S&L I cannot recommend Steve Beatty (and Alan Rhone) highly enough. I do not know who now imports the Heym.

I have handled a few Victory's and have a SR30 . I don't really like straight pull's. My choice would be a SR 21 in stainless over the others. A good friend of mine who runs the Wild Hund Forum in Germany just received his new stainless SR21 with E-Lite. Now selling his T3 rifles.
edi

The SR21 is a beautiful classy lightweight rifle and handles very nicely with a well designed receiver and bolt. It is a very good option and is right up there with S&L and other top end rifles. Proper old school and is particularly suited to 7x57 class chambering.
Ian

Hi @Boogie

I’ve never come across a Schultz & Larsen here in Germany, but I believe that they have an impeccable reputation in the UK. That said, many of my friends here have Heyms, which have a great reputation for precision, reliability and craftsmanship in Germany. I’ve shot the SR30, many of my friends have the SR30, SR21 and older Sr20 rifles and a very good mate has an enviable collection of inherited double rifles and shotguns, because his dad was Head of Sales for Heym many moons ago. I’ve also enjoyed a lengthy factory visit (whilst a mate configured his custom SR30), which I would recommend to anyone coming over; by car it’s about about 1h30’ northwest of Frankfurt.

I’d like to draw your attention to a special that Heym are offering on their website only: they’ve decided to build a batch of standardised SR30 RANGER rifles (no customisation allowed at all) whilst passing on the savings. They’re selling them for an unbelievable price of EUR 1480/GBP 1260! What does that buy you? Right-hand action-only, .308 Win; 50cm standard barrel, M14 threaded, Picatinny rail, no open sights. By comparison, the same rifle (albeit customisable) starts at EUR 1850.- and by the time I had specked to equate the offer rifle, the price was EUR 2350.

My little cabinet’s full (after my son was gifted a pre-war rifle and side-by-side last week), but the response and uptake on the ”Wild and Hund” forum has been very positive, with the first forum members having received their rifles this week. So, if Heym”s special deal meets your needs for a light stalking rifle (3.1 kg), you may want to reach out to them… the saving alone will almost buy you the best, lightest, 3D-printed titanium moderator on the market to take care of muzzle flip and recoil, without adding too much weight (310g).

Evening all,

I am in the market for a new rifle for stalking reds up north. I have heard many good things about Schultz & Larsen Victory in terms of accuracy and quality, which appeals to me. But I would really appreciate how they compare with a Heym SR30. I already have a .308 (Sauer 202 which I like) but have really enjoyed shooting a 7x57, almost no muzzle flip, can see the bullet strike and the bonus of less recoil (although no big deal with a 308). I have narrowed it down to these the brands, would love to hear how they compare from those who know the, both.
Many Thanks
Boogie

The SR30 is a superb piece of engineering and has lovely lines . The bolt lock up is by way of ball bearings locating in to a recess in the breach.
Ythan field sport supplies has a lovely, little used 275 / 7-57 example for sale at the moment. Look them up as Mike has pictures of the lady on their web site.

The SR30 is a superb piece of engineering and has lovely lines . The bolt lock up is by way of ball bearings locating in to a recess in the breach.
Ythan field sport supplies has a lovely, little used 275 / 7-57 example for sale at the moment. Look them up as Mike has pictures of the lady on their web site.
Thanks Doric, I have been eyeing it up! Looks very nice.

Hi @Boogie

I’ve never come across a Schultz & Larsen here in Germany, but I believe that they have an impeccable reputation in the UK. That said, many of my friends here have Heyms, which have a great reputation for precision, reliability and craftsmanship in Germany. I’ve shot the SR30, many of my friends have the SR30, SR21 and older Sr20 rifles and a very good mate has an enviable collection of inherited double rifles and shotguns, because his dad was Head of Sales for Heym many moons ago. I’ve also enjoyed a lengthy factory visit (whilst a mate configured his custom SR30), which I would recommend to anyone coming over; by car it’s about about 1h30’ northwest of Frankfurt.

I’d like to draw your attention to a special that Heym are offering on their website only: they’ve decided to build a batch of standardised SR30 RANGER rifles (no customisation allowed at all) whilst passing on the savings. They’re selling them for an unbelievable price of EUR 1480/GBP 1260! What does that buy you? Right-hand action-only, .308 Win; 50cm standard barrel, M14 threaded, Picatinny rail, no open sights. By comparison, the same rifle (albeit customisable) starts at EUR 1850.- and by the time I had specked to equate the offer rifle, the price was EUR 2350.

My little cabinet’s full (after my son was gifted a pre-war rifle and side-by-side last week), but the response and uptake on the ”Wild and Hund” forum has been very positive, with the first forum members having received their rifles this week. So, if Heym”s special deal meets your needs for a light stalking rifle (3.1 kg), you may want to reach out to them… the saving alone will almost buy you the best, lightest, 3D-printed titanium moderator on the market to take care of muzzle flip and recoil, without adding too much weight (310g).
Indlovu, yes they look like proper rifles - quality steel and wood. I am after a 7x57, already have a Sauer in .308.

I have handled a few Victory's and have a SR30 . I don't really like straight pull's.
Out of curiosity Edi, what don't you like about straight-pulls?

I have no experience of them myself, but imagine that the locking mechanism on a good bolt action is stronger and more reliable? They've certainly stood the test of time!

Reactions: JTO
Back