Scope costs v Euro

Deermanagement

Was looking to buy a new Z6i 2-12x50 last December. Called in at the Sportsman Newport, took a look, probably would have bought one but changed my mind when after my interest, staff changed the prices on all the Swarovski items, by not such a small amount. Would have thought that old stock costs should have remained the same until exhausted and not change under your nose.

Anyhow, at that stage the pound was worth 1.25 euros and now it's worth 1.35 euros. Cost of the scope is still showing the higher price at the same shop. I wonder if it's like the cost of fuel?.....goes up quickly when the dollar gets strong but never seems to come down anywhere near as fast.

Just an observation..... Just bought a completely un-associated piece of kit direct from Germany it somthing like 75% of what it would have cost in the UK. Think I'll take a look at what the scope will cost elsewhere.....

DM

exmarksman9870

Yep rip off uk.....what store did you deal with in germany m8 ? I dont agree why we should pay over the odds...its pure greed.

Jagare

Thats the good thing with the web. Have a look for what you want online and order. Simple. I've ordered stuff from Europe with no problem and saved £100 on a Mauser scope mount, ordered from Germany.

Heym SR20

It's like a lot of kit at the moment. Many dealers will have paid for it 6 /12 months ago in Euros / dollars when they were more highly valued and want to recover their monies. Well worth going over to Europe to purchase. Even if you add in cost of travel etc it's often worth it. I am looking at a new paraglider, which are c£2,500 to £3,000. If I go over to a dealer in France I can get a weeks flying in Alps and new paraglider for the same amount of money, and because you are on holiday it's holiday money so it doesn't really count. :D

Shootgun

I saved £120 on a blaser saddle mount and £300 on a Victory V8 last week, ordered from the continent...

Deermanagement

The item I bought from Germany was a Kanzle pressure washer, a stalking related item in terms of cleaning off heads, truck and quad. Out of interest, only bought this after being unable to find a bad review. I was a little unsure of delivery after seeing 2 Stihl washers arrive damaged from the UK, but after receiving the Kranzle, there was no need to be unsure, if they dragged it from Germany it would have still been fine, it's that well made and solid.

Hornet 6

Many dealers will have paid for it 6 /12 months ago in Euros / dollars when they were more highly valued and want to recover their monies.
But even more of them will not yet have paid for their stock, they are counting on selling the stock to pay the bill on the never never.

Neil. :)

Erik Hamburger

Quite a few posts on this Forum recently talking about the 20-25% discount you can get compared to UK retail prices by going to the Eurozone and buy online in The Netherlands, Germany or other Euro countries.
Give your UK retailer the opportunity to price-match or at least meet you halfway, if they don't want to do that....take your business elsewhere.

Shootgun

Quite a few posts on this Forum recently talking about the 20-25% discount you can get compared to UK retail prices by going to the Eurozone and buy online in The Netherlands, Germany or other Euro countries.
Give your UK retailer the opportunity to price-match or at least meet you halfway, if they don't want to do that....take your business elsewhere.
I'm fed up calling UK retailers and asking for a discount or price match. For me is clear they don't want to do business, so i took my business elsewhere.
£420 is a lot of money i can spend on stalking or another goodies.

felix4247

It's a buyers market or at least should be! Many dealers rely on convenience for pricing their goods. The UK mark up is ridiculous for some items. The price tag on most things is negotiable.... And if not I look elsewhere!

the Internet has changed the game:D

Cootmeurer

If it is a big ticket item take a vacation here in the States and make sure you visit a Cabelas or BassPro before you leave.

As much as I have loved my stalking visits to the UK, I was stunned by your pricing on sporting Kit. One item in particular that amazed me was a Husqvarna chain saw. Exact same model, manufactured closer to you than me, and I paid a brand new price that was 45% of the price I saw marked on the saw in Tain. Similar story with my Tikka.

Robb

Dont know how true this is but i was told on certain branded items in shops and stores the Reps set the prices of their own particular items and the shops cant sell under that price, i have heard that a couple of times and certainly when i have tried to get a bit of discount on certain branded stuff the shops wont budge an inch, not all the time and not on all things but it certainly happens in a few shops i know of.

tozzybum

plus 1 for americee ,both my scopes are imports from there.saved 0ver £300 on the two and my night vision monocular cost 68 instead of 195 here.do it do it .buy in britain u might as well put a ring through your nose so they can treat u like a pig.have a holiday take yourself over to the big satan and grab some baarrginz

Boarboy

plus 1 for americee ,both my scopes are imports from there.saved 0ver £300 on the two and my night vision monocular cost 68 instead of 195 here.do it do it .buy in britain u might as well put a ring through your nose so they can treat u like a pig.have a holiday take yourself over to the big satan and grab some baarrginz
Am I right in thinking there's certain restrictions ordering red dot/ illuminated scopes from the U.S.?