scope frosting up

Woodsmoke

As above. Let the scope get to ambient outside temp' and you won't have any issues with condensation settling on the lens and then feezing

stubear

I was watching one of the "My Self Reliance" videos on YT about a guy who has built an awesome log cabin in the wilderness in Canada.

He was saying that he always leaves his rifle outside all the time because if he has it indoors, sees a deer outside and goes out to shoot it then the lens immediately freezes up.

About ten or twelve years ago or so I bought a used Zeiss Diatal-C 4x32, used, in Paris. Some idiot had glued their 26mm continental size rings to this 1" tube 'scope with Araldite. The rings eventually came off but they left a ring or Araldite around the 'scope tube in the two places where the rings were. I had read that Araldite doesn't like being frozen. So this Zeiss went in the deep freeze for one day, then two days, then three days trying to enable me to remove the Araldite. It did eventually work with enabling me to pick off the Araldite. But what I can say is that after you'd taken a half a minute and wiped the ice from the front and back lens the 'scope worked perfectly. No fogging at all. Ever since then I've used nothing but Zeiss 'scopes.

Some people apparently rub the lens with a cut potato.

I was watching one of the "My Self Reliance" videos on YT about a guy who has built an awesome log cabin in the wilderness in Canada.

He was saying that he always leaves his rifle outside all the time because if he has it indoors, sees a deer outside and goes out to shoot it then the lens immediately freezes up.
Yup , rule number one if you're hunting in the cold . When we're out in the late season , I leave my rifle , cased , in the back of the truck . I hunt in some pretty remote country though , I wouldn't recommend doing it in the UK lol .

AB

A leather doeskin? or thin sheet rubber cover held onto the scopes mid body with a cable tie it is homemade looks like shiite but is like a flip off cover for the front lens? works for me and we do get -10C. When you are in a shooting position it falls away naturally

You have to make sure your breath doesn’t go near the scope. It’s very easy when getting set up to breath all over the eyepiece. See through lense covers can also help. Keep on an wit them off at last moment. I have never with flip up scope covers - they just break. More of an issue can be snow.

Or use open sights - they can never fog or get disabled by snow.

Oh! to be able to do open sights again.
After my double cateract operation it"s either distant is very clear but near is all blurred.
Same story goes for sexual athletics but that"s for another day.

Last edited: