Scope moa

Gm81

I have a question on moa on the swarovski x5i. The scope is available in 1/4 or 1/8 adjustments.
Question is from the reviews I've seen it's got 6 rotations on the turret. So for 6 rotation and/or clicks the 1/8 will not give as much adjustment as 1/4 is that correct?
Or will it rotate to the max moa travel the scope has from its zero point regardless of it being 1/4, 1/8moa or 6 rotations?
So I'm OK with 1/8 but I don't want to lose the amount of drop I have due to turret rotation limit to sum it up I guess.

Alantoo

Depends whether the overall adjustment or the number of clicks per rotation is the constant parameter? Coarser or finer indents in the click mechanism.

Were the "6 rotation" reviews of both models or just one?

Best to ask Swarovski customer service/sales/technical?

Alan

P.S. As one would suspect, according to the technical spec. both models have the same max MOA elevation and windage adjustment of 82/50

Last edited:

Gm81

Depends whether the overall adjustment or the number of clicks per rotation is the constant parameter? Coarser or finer indents in the click mechanism.

Were the "6 rotation" reviews of both models or just one?

Best to ask Swarovski customer service/sales/technical?

Alan

P.S. As one would suspect, according to the technical spec. both models have the same max MOA elevation and windage adjustment of 82/50
Hi Alan,
I watched the review from Richard utting then the euro optics I think. But I couldn't say which was which on the MOA value.
I will see if swarovski can help.
Thank you for the tip

Alantoo

Hi Alan,
I watched the review from Richard utting then the euro optics I think. But I couldn't say which was which on the MOA value.
I will see if swarovski can help.
Thank you for the tip
As my PS said the technical specification on

SWAROVSKI OPTIK - X5i 5-25x56 P 1/8 MOA Rifle Scope

says they both have the same MOA range...

Whether the difference is in the number of clicks per rotation or the number of rotations Swarovski would be the best source of information...how do you see it as being a problem now the you know it does not limit the total MOA adjustment?

Alan

P.S. Interestingly, having had another look at the spec on the link above it would appear to be a bit of both....80/72 Clicks Per Rotation on the 1/4, and 100/90 on the 1/8....but neither of the sums seem to add up to the 6 rotations...to achieve the 82 MOA would need 4.1 rotations at 80x1/4 CPR, and 6.56 rotations at 100X1/8 CPR

Last edited:

DVS1

My understanding is that 1/8 clicks is a fine adjustment than 1/4 so in effect will need twice the adjustment to reach same distance. Whether the turrets are marked different I don't know I'm afraid

Tomcottrell

I’d imagine that the 1/8 turrets have much finer and smaller clicks than the 1/4? Maybe less audible and less feel to them but I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alantoo

I’d imagine that the 1/8 turrets have much finer and smaller clicks than the 1/4? Maybe less audible and less feel to them but I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
??

No need to imagine....did you not see the numbers from the Swarovski spec. sheets quoted in my post above? On the elevation turret it is 80 clicks per rotation on the 1/4 and 100 clicks per rotation on the 1/8...

1 rotation of the 1/4 gives you 20 MOA... hence 4.1 rotations needed for the 82 MOA
1 rotation of the 1/8 gives you 12.5 MOA... hence 6.56 rotations needed for the 83 MOA

Alan

Gm81

Hi Gents
Thank you for that
Alan, it is no problem for me to have 1/8 as long as I can get the adjustment.
Im going to buy a 6.5 cal and have got a 1000yds to play with. But I also want to be able to shoot deer with it too. If I can get the scope to do both then that's a win for me. So really deciding if 1/8 would do it. I saw a used one so that's why I was asking. I would normally pick a 1/4 one as most scopes seem to do that.
I know I would need the extra rotations for hunting. But if I have time to make rotations I had time to range it. Rather than hold over.
If that makes sense.
But thank you for your time looking and helping me. Longer range and moa adjustments are a new thing for me. My friend and I are getting into it.