Scope mounted lamp - Red or Green?

FrenchieBoy

Now that I am feeling "much more mobile" than I did in the latter part of last year it is time I started thinking about a new gun lamp. At the moment I am focussing my attention on either a T50 or a T67 as they have some pretty good write-ups and are quite well priced. The lamp will be used as a "dual purpose" lamp for both rabbits (And foxes if within effective/humane killing range) with my .22LR and for foxes with my .270 out to about 200 yards or so. I really don't want to/can't afford to have to invest in a seperate gun lamp for each rifle so the one lamp will have to cover for both rifles and lamping situations.
My problem is that up to now I have only bothered with either a red or amber lamp, which I have done quite well with so I have no knowledge of how rabbits or foxes react to a green lamp, therefore I have to ask you guys which colour you would be more likely swayed to.
I will add that I could (if really deamed necessary) stretch my budget to say a red T50 or T67 lamp with a spare green pill but if that were the case are the pills relatively easy to change over?
What would your thoughts be please guys - Especially T50 or T67 owners/users?

For me they react to the colours differently at different times. I swap over often - I find green easier on the eye and especially on stubble. Swapping pills is not that hard - I can do it in the field if necessary. Makes for a very flexible lamp. Don't discount white.

For me they react to the colours differently at different times. I swap over often - I find green easier on the eye and especially on stubble. Swapping pills is not that hard - I can do it in the field if necessary. Makes for a very flexible lamp. Don't discount white.

Got to mirror the comments above,

Got a t50 with green red and white pills and if they did an amber I'd have one as well,

Bob,

Pills are easy to change in the field too,

Got to mirror the comments above,

Got a t50 with green red and white pills and if they did an amber I'd have one as well,

Bob,

Pills are easy to change in the field too,

Can I ask what sort of "effective range" you get from your T50 please Bob in both target identity and eye shine?

I bought one of the T67 kits off the guy selling them on here and went for a red and IR as I've already got a green in my NM800. Swapping the LEDs is as easy as unscrewing the cap on a bottle of water. The T67 (and I assume T50) can be focused from spot to flood so perfect for adjusting between rifles and the varying distances you'll use them at. You can get the LEDs seperately as funds allow and they're only £15 (vs £45 for the NM and £69 for an NM IR)

the he places I shoot are all grass fields and hedgerows and I find it hard to make out definition of the background with the grEen LED, sometimes I can't see where the grass stops and the hedge begins. This can make judging a safe backstop more difficult. A friend has a red NM800 and it is much easier to get clear definition of background and quarry.

with a decent scope target ID would be easy to 200m and eye shine a lot further. If I hadn't have been swayed by the NM marketing I would not have bought it and stuck with the T67 as it is equally as good in terms of distance nut the wider range of spot to flood beam makes it much more practical.

i have used a t50 green for just under 12 months on a 25-06 and a 223 out to 300 yds ish for a positive id not eye shine and at that range its more than enough at night for me ,as above for other comments as well ! certainly improved my success rate solo .its nice having a variable especially if you want to use it on a rimmy as well ,i tend to shoot from a fixed point and scan with a hand/vehicle mounted lamp and take the shot with a gun mounted t50 if im using the lamps or else scan with nv and t50 for the shot .

I have been using an ND3x50 Subzero for the last two years on wild boar and foxes. I can honestly say that it is the only torch whose light seems to be invisible to the animals. Boar run a mile when using white light, the same when using IR on night. The vision. The green light of the ND3 lets you look through your normal scope and you would think that you were looking through a genuine NV scope. I took a 40kg boar yesterday morning in temperatures of minus 6 C at about 70 meters. Even though there was plenty of snow on the ground, I wouldn't have seen the boar without illumination. The ND3 did not spook the animals and they seem to be completely oblivious to the green light. I don't know why some people don't rate them. I think they are the bee`s knees.

been using red (over white) for years
only just got a green pill and a T50

never had a problem with the red but did get a few that would run like the clappers with white

Green is great on the eyes and works well, but amber is my all-time favourite.
Don't like red at all, would rather not shoot, hurts my eyes and doesn't seem to work that well for me anyway.

Neil. :)

I would also opt for green over red, I suggest going for a 3 mode, which allows to dim the beam. As above check out Ian Sirrel Ir light builds, he has some fantastic illuminators

I have been using an ND3x50 Subzero for the last two years on wild boar and foxes. I can honestly say that it is the only torch whose light seems to be invisible to the animals. Boar run a mile when using white light, the same when using IR on night. The vision. The green light of the ND3 lets you look through your normal scope and you would think that you were looking through a genuine NV scope. I took a 40kg boar yesterday morning in temperatures of minus 6 C at about 70 meters. Even though there was plenty of snow on the ground, I wouldn't have seen the boar without illumination. The ND3 did not spook the animals and they seem to be completely oblivious to the green light. I don't know why some people don't rate them. I think they are the bee`s knees.
I have been using the same ND3x50 for over 3years on .243 at night, Have used white hand lamp for spotting at distance, a bit of calling ensued, rifle up n dead. Have also used Green filter on hand lamp and also a red one which was not bad but felt this cut right back on the distance of spotting. I also recently picked up a long distance green pill torch from someone off here and have used it on my .22 and .17 rimmys. Have not seen anything to touch the ND3x50 for distance and clarity and as said it is like looking through night vision scope that I also use. I think for ease it would have to be the small pill torch for on and off the rifle, the ND3x50 is quite a bit of working to put on and off any rifle. Colour I would pick would ultimately be Green as my eyes adjust very easy to it and have the amount of Rabbits, Fox kills to show for it over any other one

I have been using the same ND3x50 for over 3years on .243 at night, Have used white hand lamp for spotting at distance, a bit of calling ensued, rifle up n dead. Have also used Green filter on hand lamp and also a red one which was not bad but felt this cut right back on the distance of spotting. I also recently picked up a long distance green pill torch from someone off here and have used it on my .22 and .17 rimmys. Have not seen anything to touch the ND3x50 for distance and clarity and as said it is like looking through night vision scope that I also use. I think for ease it would have to be the small pill torch for on and off the rifle, the ND3x50 is quite a bit of working to put on and off any rifle. Colour I would pick would ultimately be Green as my eyes adjust very easy to it and have the amount of Rabbits, Fox kills to show for it over any other one

I thought I was speaking to deaf ears! Finally somebody who can also attest to the virtues of these little torches! I shot a 40kg (clean) überläufer last Monday morning using an ND3. He was 70 meters away and I had the light on him from the moment he stepped beneath my high seat and walked out to the field. NY Swiss friends are beginning to see the virtues of these torches.

Back