Scope recommendations for a 17 Hornet?

Jeffsy

Having recently acquired a 17HH from member @-ben- on here I’m after advice for a decent optic to put on it.
Currently using an MTC Viper SBC type Ret with a gazillion dashes which is just unnecessary and cluttered bearing in mind the relatively flat trajectory of the round out to around 250 metres.
I would like something fairly simple and uncluttered, not quite Duplex simple, preferably with an illuminated dot.
Does such a reticle exist?

Overlay

Schmidt and bender 2.5 - 10 x 56 zenith FD7 reticule is what I use, plenty good enough with a brilliant flash dot illumination fits the Bill perfectly
you can pick one up secondhand if you look around, well worth it

David N

I would say depends on
1: how much you want to spend
2: what you are using it for?

do you what to us an add on NV like PARD?
Are you trying to keep the set up as light as possible?

on my CZ American I have a Vortex Viper pst gen 2 3- 15* 44. it work for me, not too heavy, great in low light, and works with my pard 007 at ranges that i am happy to shoot at. I also like my Nikko sterling long range 4-16*50 which is mill dot.

Jeffsy

I would say depends on
1: how much you want to spend
2: what you are using it for?

do you what to us an add on NV like PARD?
Are you trying to keep the set up as light as possible?

on my CZ American I have a Vortex Viper pst gen 2 3- 15* 44. it work for me, not too heavy, great in low light, and works with my pard 007 at ranges that i am happy to shoot at. I also like my Nikko sterling long range 4-16*50 which is mill dot.
No budget but perhaps a choice between £500-£1000 and anything over as a suggestion is fine as well.
Lightness would be preferred as the gun is the same as yours, CZ American, I prefer the lighter set up compared to the hefty Varmint version.
Mostly used for small quarry such as rabbits up to around 350 metres, with the occasional Fox if it ventures closer.
No plans for NV add ons as when it gets too dark to see I will get the HMR out with the Pard, it’s much easier to get closer to stuff after dark so no need for the longer range, and more expensive feeding habit, of the Hornet.

David N

No budget but perhaps a choice between £500-£1000 and anything over as a suggestion is fine as well.
Lightness would be preferred as the gun is the same as yours, CZ American, I prefer the lighter set up compared to the hefty Varmint version.
Mostly used for small quarry such as rabbits up to around 350 metres, with the occasional Fox if it ventures closer.
No plans for NV add ons as when it gets too dark to see I will get the HMR out with the Pard, it’s much easier to get closer to stuff after dark so no need for the longer range, and more expensive feeding habit, of the Hornet.
Sound as if we are using it for same thing. I sold my hmr.
If you reload buy some 17g ballistic tips from SPUD cheap as chips. Work really well on rabbits.
My vortex works well with a red touch and 007 to 150 + yrd with additional ir. I have had my pard 008 on it as well.

Mounts I am using sportsmatch. I did have a rail on but prefer the set up without it.

Jeffsy

Sound as if we are using it for same thing. I sold my hmr.
If you reload buy some 17g ballistic tips from SPUD cheap as chips. Work really well on rabbits.
My vortex works well with a red touch and 007 to 150 + yrd with additional ir. I have had my pard 008 on it as well.

Mounts I am using sportsmatch. I did have a rail on but prefer the set up without it.
I do intend to start reloading soon. Will look into the Spud option.
Thanks for that :thumb:

Jeffsy

There is a lovely Swarovski Z6 in the sales section with a 44mm objective lens. That would be a great match.
The 1-6 X mag?
Rabbit sized targets at 300 metres might require a little more magnification otherwise that looks like it could tick a few boxes :thumb:

scotch_egg

The 1-6 X mag?
Rabbit sized targets at 300 metres might require a little more magnification otherwise that looks like it could tick a few boxes :thumb:

Just found the one I meant.

Stalker-of-the-deer

I'm saving my penny's and getting a nikko sterling diamond ffp. not to pricey good mag range and will do just fine on a small rifle. Will be just right for some extended range rabbits me thinks. also don't have to mess around with diffrent aim offs on diffrent mags.

Jeffsy

I'm saving my penny's and getting a nikko sterling diamond ffp. not to pricey good mag range and will do just fine on a small rifle. Will be just right for some extended range rabbits me thinks. also don't have to mess around with diffrent aim offs on diffrent mags.
Would certainly leave a lot more in the kitty for ammo.
Heading back to fussy reticle territory though…..