Scope Ring/Mount options

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my shopping list in order for when my FAC comes back with my variation I've applied for.

I'm looking for possible alternative options for scope mounts. I have Spuhr ISMS on both of my target rifles and am very pleased with them so far but it is quite heavy and I'd quite like to not be spending 300 quid on another mount.

Being a vortex fan boy I've had a look at their rings, but wanted to see what everyone's opinions were that have experience with different manufactures.

The rifle will be a Sako A7 .270win and most probably topped with a Vortex Viper PSTII 5-25x50 (30mm tube). If better options for glass are out there I'm open to suggestions. Glass budget is around the £1000 mark.

Cheers

Ben

Stalking style - weaver steel mounts will allow you to use whatever fits a picatinny rail without the actual encumbrance of the un needed slots and metal ware in between. You could choose from Tier 1 who appear to advertise a low which might just fit a 56mm or failing that a medium. Also consider burris signatures which have inserts a la optilock. Any picatinny ring will fit. You could consider Talley screw locks if Talley make a7 bases. The low screwlock 30mm will fit a 56mm objective on a remington. They are slightly more hassle to get the scope aligned but are neat and graceful if you like that sort of thing (which I do)

Tactical - ask someone else.

Having owned two older Vortex PSTii and now having replaced them with Delta scopes that's where I'd definitely be looking. The Delta Stryker is a bit over you budget but it's a whole lot more scope than the Vortex, bit much for stalking mind you and low light performance is compromised by the huge mag range (4.5-30) but the 2.5-15 is superb as a stalking scope and does allow for dialling longer shots but not a dedicated range scope.

Thanks very much for the input all, I'll check out some of that options.
Had a look at the stryker, does look quite nice.
It did get me thinking if I should bump up my glass budget a bit.

With that in mind, I had a look at some of the swarovski scopes, namely the Z6i.
These are obviously twice the price of the viper gen 2 I looked at, and a bit more than the stryker.
Is a Z6i really going to be heads and shoulders above a scope that's half the price?

Cheers

Ben

Blobby159

Having owned two older Vortex PSTii and now having replaced them with Delta scopes that's where I'd definitely be looking. The Delta Stryker is a bit over you budget but it's a whole lot more scope than the Vortex, bit much for stalking mind you and low light performance is compromised by the huge mag range (4.5-30) but the 2.5-15 is superb as a stalking scope and does allow for dialling longer shots but not a dedicated range scope.
Hello again strangely named fella! Yes, alright, I can speak eh?... Hahahahahaaaa!

I have been looking at replacing my Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5x30x50 with 30mm tube with the very similarly spec'ed Delta Stryker but need a few really important questions on the Stryker's options before I take the plunge or relent and stay with what I have...
These are:-
1). What is the objective's diameter for Delta Stryker 4.5x30 please?
2). What is the tube diameter for Delta Stryker 4.5x30 please?
3). Is this new scope a FFP or a SFP (first or second focal plane) please?
4). Can either (if available?) be had with a simplified reticule(s) please? My current Bushnell Elite 6500 has the simplest "double X" reticule - which I tend to lean heavily towards, not liking a cluttered reticule designed for snipers with fussy range-finding elements in the central area of view/sight, which just complicate/(read slow down) quick target acquisition for my part... A dual X reticule with the very center as an illuminated dot would be my ideal...

Kind Regards.
ATB ....... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a 56mm objective, 34mm tube in 1st focal plane.

They do 3 different reticles (possibly more now, you'd have to check the website), I have the LRDP1 I think and it has some hash marks on it but a nice clear central dot with cross which can be illuminated so it's very clear and fast to pick up. I think the beauty of ffp is that with a reticle withknown hash marks on it you can effectively range distances and make corrections very quickly, especially wind calls. Using a reticle in such a manner is still new to me but I'm slowly getting there.