SD going down the Ebay route?

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
Ebay once was a great medium for folk to buy and sell unwanted and items no longer of use and now is ruined by shops and trade members basically selling their stock at no or little discount and i see the SD trade members following suit on here. Used to be for joe public offloading gear but now it's shop after shop clogging up the classifieds?
PS, i have nothing for sale or intend to.

Yoda

Ebay once was a great medium for folk to buy and sell unwanted and items no longer of use and now is ruined by shops and trade members basically selling their stock at no or little discount and i see the SD trade members following suit on here. Used to be for joe public offloading gear but now it's shop after shop clogging up the classifieds?
PS, i have nothing for sale or intend to.
My god you don't mind upsetting the brownshirts do you?

I.agree that some of the ad sections are a bit cluttered, but on the other hand trade members pay fees which keep the site going and fund the bursary scheme. That allows them to advertise here. Nobody's making you buy it and it's not as if they're pushing aside the users who.are buying and selling used stuff.

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
The Classifieds section was something only originally offered for the convenience of our members - remember back when it was only one section! :eek: But it has turned out way more popular than we ever anticipated. Maybe you consider it 'ruined' because it isn't just a few items of second hand goods any more but plenty of others find it better because of the diversity of stuff now available. And discounts are available from some of our trade members too. And it's fixed price. Oh and it's free to ordinary members.

So not really like eBay at all... ;)

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
Just looked at the "clothing & footwear" first page and of 20 listings 12 are by the same member. I have bought and sold many items on SD to and from private members at an agreed price but if i want new kit i find it is cheaper on the search engines.

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
It's the sellers' prerogative to price them how they like (too high and they won't sell.... as you know ;)) just like it's your prerogative to go elsewhere to buy. The popularity of the Classifieds suggests to me it's far from 'ruined'.

PKL

the risk I suppose is that any tom dick or harry can buy a trade membership and upload their entire retail premises stock on here, clogging up pages and pages...for that I believe there should be an element of 'control' by admin, ie, it's not an outlet and perhaps a trade member can only advertise max 5 items at a time...
just to stir things up, funny how chap from valkyrie is allowed to advertise that custom rifle on behalf of their client (someone else) who bought it. :stir::lol:

Cadex

I've bought and sold loads on here, everything from scopes to a van and a number of rifles.
No complaints from me.

I've seen you buying and selling plenty of guns on here Red Dot, pot calling the kettle black :lol:

weeman

At least those who sell regularly take out trade membership.

I always do a google search to compare prices........I've had good deals off here from trade and none trade members.

Cant please all.....

PKL

I suppose a 'trade' classifieds section could be set up, so members can choose if they want to look in the joe blogs sales, or they can go into the trade section where there could be billions of retail listings.

I see what RD is saying though, if it goes too far, it will just be annoying scrolling through tattersal shirt adverts and bumbags and other such, and the non-trade members ad's will just get buried in the masses, people won't bother look for them and sales will stop for non-trade members

weeman

Or what about trade members have there own page allowing us to click on there user name so we can see what they are selling in the class field section. That way they won't be fighting, bumping amongst each other etc..

I’ve yet to sell anything albeit when withdrawn through either lack of interest or unwholesome PM’s, the only option is to close the read as “sold” which is somewhat misleading.

K
:cry:

Last edited:
FWIW I would have though that some sort of "trade filter" in Classifieds might be useful, so that you could leave it unchecked and see everything, or check the "trade filter" box and only see classifieds from those members who aren't also trade members.

Personally I don't have any problem with the trade members classifieds and I feel we should support trade members wherever possible, as their membership fees help keep the site going. I have utilised the services of trade members several times, and they've even prompted me to buy stuff I didn't know I needed :D, so I can see why the trade members like the facility.

I would take more issue with non-trade members who offer items without a price, or "for a friend", or who post unhelpful comments in others' classifieds - i.e. basically those who ignore the rules!