Vacancy: Seasonal Stalking Ghillies on Atholl Estates

NickJ

Seasonal Stalking Ghillie Vacancies for Atholl Estates​

July 2024 to February 2025. Atholl Estates are recruiting for seasonal ghillies through the 2024/25 stag and hind stalking seasons. The Forest of Atholl is renowned for its wild red deer and our team of five deerstalkers are looking for seasonal support with managing the herd. The estate has maintained the tradition of using Highland ponies to retrieve stalked deer as they are more adept than vehicles at accessing the whole hill and do less damage to the land. A driving licence is essential. Experience with ponies and ATV handling is preferred but not essential. Accommodation and training are provided.
Key duties include assisting the deerstalkers with:
  • The health and safety of both themselves, and the wider team
  • Providing a quality guest experience
  • Managing the Highland Ponies both out of the hill whilst working and day to day care
  • Loading ponies on the hill
  • Cleaning and maintenance of equipment
  • Putting deer through the larder
  • General estate maintenance and housekeeping duties at the lodges

To apply, please forward your cv and covering letter to lauram@atholl-estates.co.uk. Should you have any questions about the role, please do email or call Laura on 07894064885

Please note I (NickJ) are not involved with the estate, I just saw this advertised elsewhere. A great start to your stalking career or career break with a top team.

Hmm. I understood that this estate had laid off some of their permanent stalkers (also losing the jeeps and estate housing) - so just wondering is this just a cheap answer to the continuing need?
🦊🦊

Hmm. I understood that this estate had laid off some of their permanent stalkers (also losing the jeeps and estate housing) - so just wondering is this just a cheap answer to the continuing need?
🦊🦊
I think you'll find they take on seasonal ghillies every season, so this year is no different from usual. Great way for a youngster to get a foot in the door of the world of stalking.

I think you'll find they take on seasonal ghillies every season, so this year is no different from usual. Great way for a youngster to get a foot in the door of the world of stalking.
Maybe so but there is a definite pattern of replacing in-house stalkers with contractors then letting their estate houses to others - usually blow-ins!
Don’t ask me how I know but I do know…
🦊🦊

🦊🦊
I don't know the ins and outs of that but, as VSS said Atholl, along with many Highland estates have used seasonal ghillies since time immemorial

I don't know the ins and outs of that but, as VSS said Atholl, along with many Highland estates have used seasonal ghillies since time immemorial
Sure thing - great opportunity but IMHO not if it is at the price of locals losing their jobs, homes and transportation.
Sadly basic economics is taking a dreadful toll on local communities. Contractors can come in for a week or two and shoot as many deer as an estate stalker does in a season - at less than the cost of providing a stalker’s accommodation and transport. Then factor in the opportunity cost of renting out the now vacant accommodation at £6-800 per month.
Sadly I have witnessed this trend increasing dramatically over twenty years…
🦊🦊

Maybe so but there is a definite pattern of replacing in-house stalkers with contractors then letting their estate houses to others - usually blow-ins!
Don’t ask me how I know but I do know…
🦊🦊
As you say this is happening all over Scotland I'm afraid, obviously it's driven by rising costs whereas in the old days the family estate owners would see a greater responsibility to the retainers and their families and take 'the hit'

Sure thing - great opportunity but IMHO not if it is at the price of locals losing their jobs, homes and transportation.
Sadly basic economics is taking a dreadful toll on local communities. Contractors can come in for a week or two and shoot as many deer as an estate stalker does in a season - at less than the cost of providing a stalker’s accommodation and transport. Then factor in the opportunity cost of renting out the now vacant accommodation at £6-800 per month.
Sadly I have witnessed this trend increasing dramatically over twenty years…
🦊🦊
No. A seasonal ghillie doesn't replace a full time stalker. A contractor might replace a resident stalker, but that's not what this is about.
Seasonal ghillies are as much part of the tradition as garrons, tweeds and brass telescopes, so your fears are groundless in this instance.

No. A seasonal ghillie doesn't replace a full time stalker. A contractor might replace a resident stalker, but that's not what this is about.
Seasonal ghillies are as much part of the tradition as garrons, tweeds and brass telescopes, so your fears are groundless in this instance.
I really do hope you are right - time will tell….
🦊🦊

VSS is right. That estate has used seasonal ghillies to assist the permanent hill stalkers for as long as I can recall. These seasonal positions are much sought-after, with many applicants each year. I was told that as a youngster, one of the dukes did a spell as a pony boy.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSS
I was having a similar conversation with others in that area. If deer numbers continue to fall as proposed then inevitably the numbers of full time employees decline with it. Dunno the story at Atholl but others are beginning to think about what they really need.

Wow. What a great opportunity and learning curve - a full grafting year cycle on a highland estate primarily working full time on deer, it’s what dreams are made of

That's something to have on your stalking CV for a young person looking to get a foot on the ladder
In wildlife management particularly amidst all the changes at the moment that’s a perfect opportunity

Back