Section 5 to Section 1 Ammo??? Laymans terms please

phillips321

Hi guys,

I know the law changes tomorrow but what i don't understand is how it affects me.

I currently have an allowance for 150x 243 and 150x 222 bullets. What i've been doing is waiting till i get to 50 or less and then buy another box of heads (expanding).

Due to the law changes can I now have 150 loaded ready to fire and as many heads as I want? (Will make testing reloads with different heads much much easier!)
Do the heads still need to be locked in my ammo cabinet?

Thanks in advance

Defender 130

As far as I understand it bullets will not be controlled in any way and count towards nothing

Until such time as they are assembled with powder,case and primer to make a round of ammunition then they will count as a section one round of ammunition and must be locked away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orion

Hi guys,

I know the law changes tomorrow but what i don't understand is how it affects me.

I currently have an allowance for 150x 243 and 150x 222 bullets. What i've been doing is waiting till i get to 50 or less and then buy another box of heads (expanding).

Due to the law changes can I now have 150 loaded ready to fire and as many heads as I want? (Will make testing reloads with different heads much much easier!)
Do the heads still need to be locked in my ammo cabinet?

Thanks in advance
Unless you use the correct terminology for the component parts and complete rounds, and state exactly what the ammo allowance section of your FAC says, it's impossible to answer your question.

By 'bullets' do you mean complete assembled rounds?

walshie

Only made up rounds will count towards your allowance. You can have a many bullets as you want and no you don't have to lock them up.

Lupus

This illustrates beautifully why we should use correct terminology when discussing technical subjects. Got the point now where I usually won't read a post where the term 'heads' is used in relation to 'bullets'. If people can't be bothered to use correct terms why should they expect others to be bothered to read their posts.

Same with some of the awful writing styles on here, like the fella who uses no punctuation, or even capitals to give a clue as to where sentences begin and end; but I digress.

Wolfie

JTO

Same with some of the awful writing styles on here, like the fella who uses no punctuation, or even capitals to give a clue as to where sentences begin and end; but I digress. Wolfie
Agreed! It means reading some comments several times to decide where the missing commas should be, to decipher what is being said.

Pedro

I agree that there are some people amongst us that really don't help themselves by posting in pidgin "cellphone" English (lol :rolleyes:) or really didn't pay much attention in English lessons at school, with the result that what they are trying to say is lost.

But they usually shoot themselves in the foot because if you write like an idiot, how do they expect what they say to be taken seriously? Quite often, I'll gloss over those comments.

But at the same time, I try not to dismiss all comments because of the odd spelling howler or punctuation mistake, we all have our talents and failings. As for calling the various parts of rounds what they should be called, there again, I agree it's much more useful to use the correct terms, but really we have to make allowances occasionally as not everyone has the decades of experience or attention to detail as others. We should be wary of putting people off needlessly where we should be encouraging.

Last edited:

mealiejimmy

I totally agree that the poor grammar and punctuation of some of the contributors to this forum (and every other forum I frequent) does make make me weep at times and can make deciphering the exact meaning of their posts very difficult.
It appears that many contributors don't bother to proof read what they have written before posting, so they are unaware that their post is difficult to read, is full of typos, or just doesn't make sense
As my old English teacher used to say "don't write the same way that you speak"
People who know that their grammar and punctuation is not up to the mark can get very upset, when it's pointed out to them.
I had such a person accuse me of bullying on another forum when I pointed out that his posts would be more understandable if he used capital letters, full stops and the occasional comma.
However, having had a good moan about it, I don't think we should set up a branch of the grammar and punctuation police on this forum and chastise or ban anyone who is not familiar with the correct use of the English language.

Cheers

Bruce

SteveFisher

The problem is our lords and masters are becoming just as sloppy, and this legislation - and the guidance around it - are perfect examples. I have had dialogue with the Home Office & others where the distinction between "ammunition for pistols" and "ammunition intended only for pistols" was totally lost on them.

JockStalk

FFS - the guy asks a simple question :doh:

To the OP

Due to the law changes can I now have 150 loaded ready to fire and as many heads as I want? YES

Do the heads still need to be locked in my ammo cabinet? NO

tikka_madras

Agree with JockStalk. I understood what the OP meant, and it was a sensible and relevant question. I've just ordered a load of heads which would otherwise have taken me way over on my limits, so I'm clearly interested in the answer (although being of a somewhat careful nature I chose to find and read the legislation rather than rely on a forum, no matter how helpful and well-informed its members!)

phillips321

All, apologies, however I don't think my grammar was that bad. Some of us are dyslexic, but I don't think this caused a problem here. I think my question was clear enough, but my terminology used was incorrect for bullets, heads, rounds, etc... a simple mistake to make but for everyone else here to jump on and say poor grammar?

Walshie, thanks for answering my question.

Remember, for every weaknesses contains within it a strength.

phillips321

Agree with JockStalk. I understood what the OP meant, and it was a sensible and relevant question. I've just ordered a load of heads which would otherwise have taken me way over on my limits, so I'm clearly interested in the answer (although being of a somewhat careful nature I chose to find and read the legislation rather than rely on a forum, no matter how helpful and well-informed its members!)
I did try and read the official legislation but it was pretty confusing. I then read the BASC summary of it, but wanted to ensure what I thought was actually true. Thanks for confirming. :)

phillips321

FFS - the guy asks a simple question :doh:

To the OP

Due to the law changes can I now have 150 loaded ready to fire and as many heads as I want? YES

Do the heads still need to be locked in my ammo cabinet? NO
Thanks for the constructive reply. Much appreciated. :thumb:

Laurie

Now get out there and start stockpiling :D
As others have said, expect a lot of classified sales now between individuals with there being no need for a face to face transaction / FAC stamp. I've got a lot of 270s in all weights from 110 to 150gn for instance that I've not bothered advertising because of the hassle currently involved. As soon as I see it in writing via my FLO, I'll put them up for sale and I'm sure there will be many others on this forum and elsewhere doing the same thing.