Sell 17 hmr and go for hornet

Tikka216

Been thinking about selling my hmr and getting a 22 hornet or a 17 hornet as I reload and think this may be a better option any ideas

old keeper

All three are rather different and a lot will depend on the use you're putting them to. The17HMR is an excellent 125-yard rabbit round and good for a fox out to 75 yards or so. The 22 Hornet has a bit of a loopy trajectory but, in the right hands will stop a fox out to 175 yards. It's a bit rough on rabbits though, should you want them for selling. Easy to load for and gives excellent results with Lil Gun.
The 17 Hornet is a brilliant round for long-distance rabbiting out to 200 yards at least in the right conditions. and I've dropped foxes at 150 yards but also had the odd runner. A bit of a fiddle to reload for but can be done.
I've got all three but I find I'm using my 204 Ruger more and more, but both the 17Hornet and the 204 Ruger can be very destructive on rabbits!

Blobby159

All three are rather different and a lot will depend on the use you're putting them to. The17HMR is an excellent 125-yard rabbit round and good for a fox out to 75 yards or so. The 22 Hornet has a bit of a loopy trajectory but, in the right hands will stop a fox out to 175 yards. It's a bit rough on rabbits though, should you want them for selling. Easy to load for and gives excellent results with Lil Gun.
The 17 Hornet is a brilliant round for long-distance rabbiting out to 200 yards at least in the right conditions. and I've dropped foxes at 150 yards but also had the odd runner. A bit of a fiddle to reload for but can be done.
I've got all three but I find I'm using my 204 Ruger more and more, but both the 17Hornet and the 204 Ruger can be very destructive on rabbits!
If you are wanting any of the rabbit to EAT that you shoot with any of these tiny but quite destructive rounds inside of 100yds or so be aware that you will absolutely need to be truly accurate with your bullet placement. NOT something one initially thinks of here with such tiny rounds (more the game animal bullet type predicament, but inside of that kind of range the .17 calibers (ANY .17 cartridge) will likely fragment inside of the critter's small body and leave tiny flecks of the lead core all over the insides around the bullet path and for a bit of distance to the sides. Similar CAN happen with the .22 Hornet, but more likely is that the rabbit will be just a nasty mess, certainly with a body shot, depending on the bullet construction used.

If one can hit the target bunny in the head then that is a definite (and in my experience) ONLY way to be fairly certain that the carcass is free of lead bits contamination. With my .22 Hornet (originally) and .22K-H now that I had the chamber reamed to make said Wildcat a couple of decades back one can be initially surprised with complete or near complete rabbit decapitation at the closer ranges if true "Hornet" frangible rounds are used or better yet, one reloads with the likes of several of the truly amazing "Hornet" bullets available from say Sierra or Hornady.... But again, VERY destructive on the body shots!!

As far as swapping out your current .17HMR in favour of a standard .22Hornet, for me that would be a no brainer.

The "looping" trajectory of this excellent, really economical (assuming you reload) medium range foxing round is a bum steer my friend!!.. The standard ballistics given same barrel lengths of say 22" to 24" for BOTH the .22H and .17HMR are really similar as to makes little difference out to maybe 150yds or so, with the .22H gaining ground in that area as the ranges extend due to very slightly better BCs depending on the bullet chosen for the .22H (especially in reloads). Remembering that getting 3,000fps with a 40gr projectile from the standard .22H is not that difficult to manage and the best M.V.s for the fastest (17gr) .17HMR START out of the muzzle with several hundred fps in arrears!!, at around 2500fps if up to factory specs (and how often does THAT happen eh??).

In standard over the counter configuration the spec's for the .22H are in the order of 2650fps (again with the above caveat!)..., but certainly a little faster - 100fps or so faster - and with a reasonably shaped 45gr bullet (note here comfortably more than TWICE the .17HMR mass!) the terminal impact will be much greater and making that wee round quite effective on foxes given you are a good shot ....

Again, to me, a "no brainer"...
But it is a matter of shooter choice of course, and if reloading is not your style or you can't afford the kit involved (and some pieces can be quite expensive, if one-off purchases) or can't afford the time it takes to do a GOOD and SAFE reload, then a non reloadable rimfire cartridge like the .17HMR is a God-send as long as one watches out for those close in body shots and accompanying lead shards, and is really circumspect with the ranges for foxes compared to the .22H. Even THAT tidy little c/f round needs careful management if runners aren't to be the unfortunate end result of over-egging it's capabilities on larger than rabbit prey, so take note...

PLEASE NOTE These are views held by me with years of experience and a lamping buddy (who is a really excellent shot I might add here) who has had a .17HMR for some years now. In general he drops back and lets me take on the foxes unless it is an ideal shot for him. A GOOD shooting buddy to be sure!!

ATB ....... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sc7

Been thinking about selling my hmr and getting a 22 hornet or a 17 hornet as I reload and think this may be a better option any ideas
Research probably more reliable for answer. First idea is to hang on to HMR until the replacement is successful. I had a 17 hornet - influenced by latest new thing, forums, you tube etc. Sold it as didn't offer anything I couldn't do with 17HMR/20 practical/.223

TriggerPull

Volume rabbit control, stick to the HMR. Ocassional few rabbits and the odd fox opportunity, go 22H.

I quite like stretching the range with the Hornet. Had the odd rabbit out to 400 yards. Usually, sub 300 yards, though.

Not bad at dumping foxes out to sensible ranges. Keep them sub 200 yards and it's great. Im my mind, it's superior to the 17H due to being easier to reload for. Its certainly more convincing on foxes, too.

My pal has had two 17H's and they've been a pig to get consistent. I'm reloading the 22H with Lil Gun and 40gr V-Max. Just over 3,000fps.

I sold my HMR to buy a Hornet, then got a permission with loads of rabbits. Reloading can become a faff after a while.

Miki

Why sell your 17HMR ?
It's a great round but being supersonic the 'crack' is loud.
As everyone says it's a good bunny basher as meat damage with the light/fast, flat shooting bullet is minimal and out to 70M I trust it to stop Mr Fox. I guess the 22H would be better for this quarry (as @Blobby159 points out) and so begins the 'horses for courses' discussion.
Get both :)

pj1

I had a hmr for a little while for use when the ground was hard in the summer. Soon swapped it for a 22 hornet. Which is great. Easy to load for and if homeloading can be silly accurate. Very convincing on foxes sub 200 and it’s that accurate that head shooting rabbits so they can be eaten is normally very easy. My go to gun for rabbiting now and I was surprised how nearby rabbits to the one just shot don’t really seem to fussed buy the bang.

Andy-shooter

I really like my .17 hornet, I’ve worked up loads with both 20gn & 25gn Vmax which were excellent. I’ve also used the cheapo 17gn bullets which you can buy in bags of 500 which were fine unless pushed too fast (in which case they exploded mid air)

The plus side of the 17gn bullets was a total reload cost of about 20p (ignoring brass). 6p bullet, 5p primer and about 10p of lilgun.

In all cases they have been ok on bunnies when head shot between 25 and 200yds although the 25s did make a bloody mess if I shot low though

del47

av just having the same headache lol i had 17 hornet on my cert was wasn't was wasn't getting one and have now sent it in to change it to 17 centerfire as am now looking at the 17 remington but when i sent in for varation i also got 222 and 22-250 put on my cert . i also got rid of my 223 and realy wished i had kept it

good luck with making your mind up (am sure thats a bucks fizz song lol)

Dave881

Hi, both my dad and I had 17HMRs and both got rid of them due to ammo being a nightmare to get hold of at the time. Dad went to the 17 hornet and I went to the 22 hornet, neither of us regret changing, the 17 hornet is fast, flat and very accurate, it's a bit tricky in the wind but other than that it's a fantastic bunny gun and good for foxes if you head shoot them in my opinion. The 22 hornet is also a great cartridge, not as fast and flat but hits with authority and is unbelievably accurate, also I have found it to be a little less picky on loads than the 17 hornet, it also bucks the wind a bit better and is better for fixes in my opinion. I wouldn't say either would be a bad choice. I will really upset things and say that the in-between option that I think takes tge best from both of these two is the 204 ruger, it's fast, flat, accurate, OK in the wind, devistating on foxes and rabbits and anything else it touches. Just food for thought but I hope I have helped in some way.
Dave