Selling antlers in velvet

caberslash

Anyone in Scotland got a contact for selling antlers in velvet to?

Not going down the Highland Game route as it's a relatively small quantity and I'm not going to sell to them out of principle anyway.

If you have a lot of antler in velvet, but no one to sell to, get it frozen, PM me and if I find someone I'll let you know.

Cheers

IBD

The export game for antler is dead now sadly . Only for dog chews.
For small amounts you maybe get a Chinese herbal shop type establishment buy them but they are hard to deal with.

AliBird

Not sure on Velvet no clue anyone wanted it here in the UK.
Antler Itself though? Ignoring dog chews lots of people still really want it but Its more so for hobbies collectors now (And there's a lot of them!)
A fallow antler with palmation will sell for upwards of £80 a Nice red stag will be upwards of £60 on the skull It starts to hit £150+ depending on antler size. 🤔

Sharpie

The export game for antler is dead now sadly . Only for dog chews.
For small amounts you maybe get a Chinese herbal shop type establishment buy them but they are hard to deal with.
Apparently not, at least this Scottish farmer exported a container load of red deer antler (not velvet) to China in 2017 as a trial project. Don't know whether that was an ongoing success.

Red deer farmer to supply antlers to Chinese medicine market

“At current prices of up to £16 per kg of antler, and many adult stags casting a set of antlers that could weigh more than 15 kgs, there is a valuable return to be gained if we can secure a foothold in this market.”

I presume we have limited supply of velvet antlers, maybe mostly from out of season culls, since we don't saw them off living animals as e.g. the New Zealand velvet farmers do. A controversial, albeit lucrative process. Whereby you take a crop of velvet worth more than the meat, every year for several years. The markets being China and Korea.

The Mutilations (Permitted Procedures) (England) Regulations 2007

Livestock Market Update: Velvet selling season draws to a close

Average prices achieved by deer farmers for velvet this year are around $105 per kilogram net, compared to $128 per kilogram last season. Despite that reduction the industry is generally buoyant, with most trends going in the right direction, including production, which is increasing at a rate of 10 per cent per annum. Farmers are producing better velvet throughout the age groups, with both an increase in the weight produced, and an improvement in quality.

IBD

Apparently not, at least this Scottish farmer exported a container load of red deer antler (not velvet) to China in 2017 as a trial project. Don't know whether that was an ongoing success.

Red deer farmer to supply antlers to Chinese medicine market

“At current prices of up to £16 per kg of antler, and many adult stags casting a set of antlers that could weigh more than 15 kgs, there is a valuable return to be gained if we can secure a foothold in this market.”

I presume we have limited supply of velvet antlers, maybe mostly from out of season culls, since we don't saw them off living animals as e.g. the New Zealand velvet farmers do. A controversial, albeit lucrative process. Whereby you take a crop of velvet worth more than the meat, every year for several years. The markets being China and Korea.

The Mutilations (Permitted Procedures) (England) Regulations 2007

Livestock Market Update: Velvet selling season draws to a close

Average prices achieved by deer farmers for velvet this year are around $105 per kilogram net, compared to $128 per kilogram last season. Despite that reduction the industry is generally buoyant, with most trends going in the right direction, including production, which is increasing at a rate of 10 per cent per annum. Farmers are producing better velvet throughout the age groups, with both an increase in the weight produced, and an improvement in quality.

It’s dead sadly.
Dog chews are the way forward .
I have a buyer for £14-17kg but need 250+ kg

homer

Not sure on Velvet no clue anyone wanted it here in the UK.
Antler Itself though? Ignoring dog chews lots of people still really want it but Its more so for hobbies collectors now (And there's a lot of them!)
A fallow antler with palmation will sell for upwards of £80 a Nice red stag will be upwards of £60 on the skull It starts to hit £150+ depending on antler size. 🤔
Where would someone sell antlers online?