Send your squirrels too the rspca

Steve curry

Just seen this snippet. Under new EU laws the rspca has too put any gray squirrels or muntjac down they receive. Apparently under old licence they could release these invasive species back into the British countryside no problem. Not any more.so if I catch a gray in a catch alive can I take it too them to dispatch it for me.ive hundreds of the little swine that need sorting.cost them a fortune

TomT3

Just seen this snippet. Under new EU laws the rspca has too put any gray squirrels or muntjac down they receive. Apparently under old licence they could release these invasive species back into the British countryside no problem. Not any more.so if I catch a gray in a catch alive can I take it too them to dispatch it for me.ive hundreds of the little swine that need sorting.cost them a fortune
Bet they won’t be advertising that otherwise their donations will probably take a hit !

Beretta V

A few years back I got involved with a rta involving a muntjac. The police and rspca didn’t want to know about the muntjac suffering.
I called the police back and said that I was going to shoot the muntjac.
They told me to call the rspca which I done and they were over the moon I was going to shoot it as it saved them money.
The police didn’t really care that I was on the side of a road with a rifle.
Muntjac have got lots of people into stalking but they do need to be controlled.
As for grey squirrels all parks should be trapping them not encouraging them.
They are pests and need to be culled.
The visitors spend money in the parks.

Regards Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VSS

Bet they won’t be advertising that otherwise their donations will probably take a hit !
They have publicised it, in a press release, laying the blame entirely on DEFRA and the EU. Stating "sadly that's the law, and we can't break it".

BryanDC

I think there are a lot of smaller wildlife hospitals that did release them without licence and probably still will. Nobody will check up on them.

mudman

one of the biggest problems with grey squirrels is the amount of large pheasant shoots who fail to control them or fail to control them adequately, leading to massive damage to tree plantations. Numerous maize cover crops etc, game bird feed all over for them during the winter. The keepers are far too busy during the winter feeding birds and with shoot days etc. Summer comes along and the vastly inflated squirrel population switches its attentions to stripping the bark off the trees, all done out of sight when everyones attention is elsewhere, hardwood trees that have taken twenty / thirty years to establish get ruined.

Anyone remember the RSPCA's advert which featured a pile of dead dogs with the caption "when they killed the dog license they left us to kill the dogs" perhaps they could use another pile of dead furry squirrel and muntjac for their fund raising efforts :evil::evil:

AGR

one of the biggest problems with grey squirrels is the amount of large pheasant shoots who fail to control them or fail to control them adequately, leading to massive damage to tree plantations. Numerous maize cover crops etc, game bird feed all over for them during the winter. The keepers are far too busy during the winter feeding birds and with shoot days etc. Summer comes along and the vastly inflated squirrel population switches its attentions to stripping the bark off the trees, all done out of sight when everyones attention is elsewhere, hardwood trees that have taken twenty / thirty years to establish get ruined.
Absolutely agree. I used to hammer them to avoid that very issue.

Brittany boy

I had cause to visit a local wildlife sanctuary / rehabilitation centre when I was the local wildlife cop, when I arrived the owner threw a towel over a cage in the hospital. When I asked what was in the cage they were very reluctant but eventually admitted it was a grey squirrel. I reminded them of the legislation about releasing them and the fact that as a charity they could loose their funding. They made some excuse about it going to a private enclosure due to an injury that it wouldn't survive in the wild anyway. On any future visits there were never any tree rats to be seen. They were always appreciactive of any rabbits I took them to feed the foxes badgers buzzards etc. They also admitted that any foxes they had for rehab would be released twice a year , once when the lambing had started and again when the pheasant poults had went into the pens to give them the best chance. Most of the foxes they released were shot in the first few days after being released, they had no fear of people and we're looking for an easy meal. A friend who works terriers and lamped most nights at that time shot 13 foxes in a large field in one night one of which had an operation scar. Bit of a waste of time really. The sanctuary was also full of feral pigeons most of the year.

Finch

Some townie idiot wrote a letter in a local community paper down here last week accusing grey squirrel cullers of racism. How long, she asked, do grey squirrels have to be here before they can be accepted as part of our "community".
FFS... How do people this stupid manage to feed themselves?