Sensible things to do in Isolation, but not on our own.

Fadcode

As we are all grounded and have to stay in, we will no doubt be forced to watch the meagre offerings on TV, and you will soon be fed up with the ads, especially the morbid life insurance ones, the charity ones, and the Equity release ones, incidentally if you got Equity release why would you want to build an extension with the money?, I digress, some of the other offerings are quite banal, especially the Salvage hunters, car chasers stupid quiz shows,etc.

Now what is apparent (to me anyway) is that some of the TV stations are basically running out of ideas for TV shows and would be quite willing to listen to new ideas if they think the public and advertisers would be interested. So my question is, could we as a hunting fraternity come up with a formula for a good interesting show about Guns, and Hunting.

There are obviously things we couldn't/wouldn't show on TV, but we could still make it interesting and acceptable, we could make it educational, informative etc, etc,
So could we come up with sensible ideas, like things we tend to look at on YT, reviews, procedures, conservation, woodland management, laws etc, and a format that would put us in a good light with the general public.

I am sure there are members on here who may have experience in this sort of thing,
If you think this is a stupid idea, please say so,( as I know you will) I just thought as we will all have a bit of free time it may be something we could think about, and I am sure we could come up with some sensible ideas and topics..

Pedro

For a start, putting some more movies on would be a good thing. There have been some epic films made over the last few decades and to have a slot sometime in the day to show one would be good. You'd be bound to have a couple every week that would be your thing. I know you can subscribe to movie channels but that costs MONEY! An hour or two watching Zulu, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator or maybe some good thriller would be a good break from the incessant gardening.

Also I think an outdoors type programme would be good. By which I don't mean city dweller type presenters yacking over some good photography work, which seems to be modern fare. But something that would, say, follow someone who works in the countryside each week. A stalker, a gamekeeper, a Jack Hargreaves type, maybe a tree surgeon, a hill farmer, an auctioneer. I'm sure someone could come up with enough to fill a series.

But really, the best thing to happen for a while in TV land is Coronavirus because it means they have had to stop making all the soaps. Which to me (if I were to watch them) are a cruel and unusual punishment. It also seems to have made all the sofas on TV quite a lot wider. :)

Last edited:

Freeforester

If such a thing were to transpire, the emphasis should be firmly on the basic education of those who don't know about what we do; the conservation work and management efforts that precede, and permit any form of shooting thereafter.

Twenty years ago the hunters in Denmark (where there is a far higher proportion of participants in their population as compared to here) were reviled by MSM and the gullible viewers; they began an educational programme and got people interested in the conservation and other good news stories resulting from their efforts, and over time the tide turned, and now they are afforded far greater respect by the public at large.

Cwis is but one loud mouth given a platform; many real wildlife managers throughout the land could wipe the floor with him, but are prevented in doing so, as their narrative does not fit the one pushed by the producers/programme commissioners. The irony is, everyone wants the same thing: increased biodiversity, but like adversarial politicians, the left leaning cannot contemplate any other pathway to the 'sunlit uplands' ringing with birdsong and humming with insect life than theirs, so do all they can in terms of black propaganda to discredit the methods and practitioners of those who can actually effect changes for the better in the real world. Time and again the more scholarly and well-read/'educated' belittle and sneer at the practical efforts of those with generations of practical experience and expertise in the actual field or woods; the former only make the problems worse and injure/lessen the biodiversity overall, despite their learned 'expertise'.

All the while, at the expense of the commonly held treasure.

'..and damn a finger, will they raise, to ease their plight today,
Preferring 'expert chiels' to praise, whilst watchin' their decay...

bogtrotter

Great but would need to be more than just shooting orientated encompassing a range of country skills and
lifestyles.
Something along the lines of the classic "Out of Town"
Alan Titchmarsh would be an ideal presenter, he is much more than a gardener he is an all round countryman.

Orion

The question I have been pondering is this, who is worse off, those self isolating with their wife.
Or those doing it alone ?
Something similar was recently raised:

“Having presented with the initial symptoms of Covid-19, do you:”

a) self-isolate with your wife and eighteen month old child,

or;

b) ...... “b, it’s b, I’ll take b, whatever it is”

kes

I'm finding this isolation a bit like normality. Cutting the grass, weeding, changing failed DG units, painting, lighting fires in and out of the house.
I have fixed all the problems with the mechanical kit. Sawing logs tomorrow and if the weather holds maybe painting a bit (it needs it outside). I have been 'given permission' to buy some new joists to fix the workshop ceiling, and will be buying some sawn edge douglas fir to weather proof the outside. Just need a cheap staircase to access the loft space for a 'design office' - aka 'my' space.
Lots to do and most of it by myself, heaven when you have a new double bevel sliding saw !
I've ordered a Stanley wood plane to finish some old oak to make another 'fireside feature table'.
I'm glad I have a fair bit of land to pad around keeping me out of 'harm's' way. 11 and a half more weeks though and no pub !