Seriously heavy Duty and actually Waterproof trousers recomendations please

wellyboot

Dear All,

I am after a pair of waterproof trousers or bib and brace that are ACTUALLY waterproof and not just capable of keeping you dry for an hour at max.

I am fed up of perpetually getting wet. I have had a great many different jackets and trousers over the years ranging from the super expensive to the cheap, from Paramo, ventile, waxed clothing, goretex, tweed and a whole range of other membranes to the very cheap £14.99 waterproofs from your local outdoor shop.

Nothing seems to be actually waterproof, despite all these claims from manufacturers the only thing i have come close to is deerhunter gear and paramo, however by profession i am in the deer/forestry and fencing industry so wear them most days this time of the year (and many other days through the year at times) so need something not too expensive (no Harkila type suggestions and prices please) really durable and resistant to abrasion that can cope with kneeling in a muddy puddle whilst you do something, cope with bits of wire and thorns/brambles reasonably well and ultimately keep me dry.

I did try the sherwood kingswood trousers last winter (amongst some others) and in principle they seem to tick a lot of boxes being very tough and durable but kept the rain out for about 30 mins - 1hour of each wet day. When i took them back to a certain country store and said please could i return them for a refund she asked why and i said they aren't waterproof, and she looked at me blankly and then said "what do you mean, they aren't waterproof? Do you mean they leak?" I said no they aren't waterproof, the fabric is not waterproof, the water seeps straight through the fabric,

also before any of you suggest it, it is not sweat or perspiration condensing and wetting out inside, but thank you though.

any way, enough of a rant, if anyone can help let me know please.

thanks

I thought gortex was 100 percent, I dont use any gortex garments myself, stuff i tried was too noisey

I make a bit of clothing so have a bit of an understanding of the subject.

A totally waterproof, breathable, durable pair of trousers at under £200 is the holly grail. The abuse we give our kit, fences, brambles, hawthorne, crawling is like no other anyone gives kit in any other sport. We all want breathability these days otherwise you get just as wet from sweat as you do from external water. It also has to be soft and quiet or we all complain it scares the deer off.

On one hand you need to build something that's built like a brick out house, on the other it's got to be quiet, soft and breathable. In terms of fabrics alone, forgetting garment design, the combination doesn't exist, there has to be compromise.

We have tested a great many fabrics. The most durably waterproof, breathable fabric available is Gore Tex. Lot's of other people make claims, but none measure up to it. Unfortunately it's expensive, and it will not stand up to a barbed wire fence or a hawthorne bush.

If you want durable, relatively cheap and waterproof if you treat them regularly, get some good quality waxed cotton over trousers. For people beating there is little that out performs it. Something like the heavy duty Barbour ones will last a few seasons if re treated each year.

If you want breathable and waterproof get some laminated gore tex trousers (not drop lined), but be prepared to shell out £250. If you stalk on the hill, working hard, covering long distance and vertical ascent they are well worth the cash. But don't expect to be able to drag them through a hawthorne bush.

It is unfortunately a game of compromise.

Thanks for the info guys and Nigel too.

It is more for the fencing/forestry/landscaping side of work as opposed to stalking so the need for quiet clothing or soft and pliable fabric is not important, but you are right its a compromise and trade off.

I must admit I do like the barbour type material, am currently using one of them coats at the mo, they have a cold feel to them, to be honest ive never noticed a coat or trousers breatheable, seem to sweat like a rapist whatever I am wearing

If you're not worried about noise then look outside our sport. Something in a tough 4oz nylon from a sailing manufacturer which will also be breathable. They are about as tough as it gets.

I know you say that it is not condensation from the inside but...

I've also worn trousers which seem to leak on occasions. In some circumstances maybe they are OK but after a while or after kneeling in a puddle or whatever I find that I get a little damp on the inside. It doesn't always happen and depends on conditions and such factors.

I've also sat on a cold day and watched the steam rise off the waterproof trousers on my thighs where they are stretched over my warm legs and where the trousers have got wet on the outside through rain or crawling about.

It seems that the trousers are waterproof as I can take them off and put the hose on them or do other, similar, things and they are never wet on the inside as a result. They only leak when I'm in them.

So, I've got waterproof trousers that sometimes appear to leak and legs that get hot enough to cause steam to come off my trousers on a wet day. This caused me to consider that, even though I didn't think it was the case, it seems likely that what I was seeing was condensation on the inside of the trousers. If you imagine that with some sweat my bare legs may also steam like my trousers do and then consider the effects of putting part of the trouser leg into a cold puddle, or having cold rain run down it, then it would appear almost impossible for condensation not to form on the inside of the trousers at times. I have seen considerable condensation form even on very breathable non-waterproof clothing when working hard in certain conditions, the condensation was forming large drops and running down the inside of the jacket. I have also observed that the conditions most suitable for this condensation effect to occur are also the conditions most likely to see me wearing my waterproof trousers.

Given this it may be worthwhile remaining at last a little open to the possibility that sweat/condensation or similar might be at the root of your problem and it may be profitable to try some experiments to eliminate some of the factors I've mentioned.

I find the trousers soon lose there ability to be waterproof around the bum area and between the legs.i generally buy deer hunter with the remove able lining.i found them with a fixed deer text membrane tore due to fabric wet from sweating then stretching tears them.cant say I am a believer in breathable clothing.

wellyboot,
I am happy with the British Military Surplus Goretex trousers. I have the MTP Pattern which I bought new and they work. I think I paid 40.00 for them. You could always wear military surplus MTP or DPM windproof trousers over them to protect from the environment and also to dampen down the noise..

Hi Caorach,

I totally agree, i too have been through a similar process to try and work out whats going on but with some trousers i have had it was definite leakage as opposed to condensation. I had a pair of Ocean bib and brace two winters ago in olive green and they had to be one of the better trousers i have had for a while in terms of waterproofness except the seams were all heat sealed and started to tear in a variety of places after a while and the fabric was a little too delicate but they used to condensate a little as opposed to leak which felt very different.

GRUNDENS is the best on the market, not cheep but they are made in Sweden,

Learn something new every day. Grundens are based in Borås not that far from me. I'm in need of some waterproof gear for when i'm thinning in the forest and just useing the strimmer. Fed up with getting wet useing my chain saw gear. Blåkläder, Swedteam and härkila are all from this part of Sweden.

I the South, quail hunting in broom straw and briars covered with heavy dew and melting ice, Filson Tim Pants or Browning upland canvas pants with Cordura or leather facing.

Back