Wanted: Shadowing opportunities Midlands

DrewDD

Hello all

I started deer stalking this year, and I've been on several paid stalks and bagged my first beautiful muntjac thanks to a gentleman on the stalking directory that took me out a few months back (i will never forget the experience - thankyoi so much Rob!). I have DSC1 at Thorseby this July.

I'm keen to learn from experienced stalkers, so would greatly value any opportunity to tag along with an experienced stalker as an observer. I'd be delighted to help carry gear or help with some maintenance or something. Please do PM me if you might be able to help.

Best Wishes,
Andrew.

DrewDD

Thanks for the kind advice Tim.243, I think your right. I learn a lot about technique from foxes. Funnily enough, I have another add elsewhere offering to help with fox, rabbit and pigeons (been doing these things for 20 years or so, but stalking is new to me this year). New land can be very hard to find, understandably so I guess!

Tim.243

Thanks for the kind advice Tim.243, I think your right. I learn a lot about technique from foxes. Funnily enough, I have another add elsewhere offering to help with fox, rabbit and pigeons (been doing these things for 20 years or so, but stalking is new to me this year). New land can be very hard to find, understandably so I guess!
I picked up stalking off my pigeon and fox ground...think you need to go check your ground lol

Putting a round behind the shoulder of a fox is as close to it needs to be... the golden willie wonker ticket is hard one.

BEAR1

It's not an easy thing to get into unless you are lucky . As I have said before on here try getting to know your local keepers and help out with the beating. Attending your local clay shoots is also another way of finding something. People have got to know and trust you and this takes time. Best of luck.

DrewDD

Thanks for that BEAR1 - yes, doing all of these things too, so thanks. We have got to get better and bringing new people into our sport though, or we are doomed!

BEAR1

I have always tried to encourage new people to the sport but quite a few people have let me down over the years . I still try and help but am a bit more cautious now.

BEAR1

Border is quite right , plus people start something on whim and just fizzle out and disappear . I won't go into detail but hence my previous comment.

badbob

Unless you are very lucky you will probably have to pay for your stalking, particularly in your neck of the woods. You might have to travel , south or north. Doing DSC 1 will teach you a lot about deer. You are doing a course in July you say.
Wait until the winter months and book some doe stalking, not too expensive, and no big trophy fees.
Good luck

DrewDD

Thankyou badbob. All advice gratefully received. I've been learning at Thorseby too, so more than happy to pay for stalking. Looking forward to the DSC next month too. I've been practicing the humane dispatch shots with my buddy too. Lots to learn and feel very lucky to be able to do it!

DrewDD

Oh. Guess that's not good when you've taken the time to show someone the ropes. I always assumed FAC = good personality, but experience has taught me otherwise. 🙄
Border is quite right , plus people start something on whim and just fizzle out and disappear . I won't go into detail but hence my previous comment