Shangri La...not!

John Gryphon

I did a bit of GE walking and wanted to get into a small sub alpine meadow of 4-5 acres.It looked good as a likely spot for a sunning deer or two.I had tried to get into the spot a few weeks ago but was beaten by the steepness and the super thick hop bush and other schitt growing on the way.
Today I took a different route and finally got into a barren wasteland,rocky and steep and a small rockpool in the gully where deer had watered prev.Yes for sure they would sun themselves in there but overall the amount of sign was poor imo,anyway I had a look,the dogs had a gallop and I raised a sweat.

The opposite side. Mind you there are those that would, from that side, take a poke at a deer sunning on the photographers side,its only 1000 odd metres.

shangla_zpsb7vh1au8.jpg

Moss and stone,even the cherry tree in the guts of it hadn't been rubbed,now that's unusual!

shangla%20moss_zpsn2dtgzdz.jpg

Bitch pup,dog pup in rear. Horrible terrain to sidle in too,fancy Nancy running shoes wont cut the mustard in here.
Its always good to look at a bit of new ground whether its fruitful or not imo.
I took serious note of the deer crossing points in the bottom of the steeply sided gully for future stalk/ambushing for a Pom or two that have shown a bit of interest.

shangla%20girl_zpsefeemj18.jpg

Loki

Hello John

Intersting photos and the hounds look good too!
I'm sure a 'Big Red' Honda quad could (and would) take the purgatory out of the getting there - leastways some of it............and help the carryout too!

L

John Gryphon

The Honda would only get into there if you dropped it from a chopper mate!

The 4wd quad wouldn't get up into the open sections either,it is a lot steeper but the camera has flattened the hill.

Shanks or rappelling only!

Bring good boots!

Last edited: