sheep and roe. advice please.

Offroad Gary

i have a stubble field where i have seen a few roe over the past few weeks. some sheep were put in there for a few days, but have been gone for about a week now.

i was going to try a high seat there saturday morning, am i wasting my time?? will the sheep have put off the roe?

seat

Depends how many sheep were in there and how much they have contaminated the ground and how much rain you have had since. If I was you I would have a look down there and see if they are coming out on there again. If they are try your high seat if you cant stalk in to them. If they are not there then dont bother for a few weeks or until you see them on there again.

Dave

I agree with devilishdave,

The main factor in my opinion is whether there has been enough rain to wash out the stink of the smelly tick ridden b******s.

It might be worth having a word with the farmer.

He might have seen the deer back in the field and to check if and when he is going to put stock in the field before you waste your time and effort putting the highseat up.

Nick

highseat is no effort at all, its a portable jobby, i'm putting it up tonight whilst out looking for a ginger one! i wont have chance to check if deer are back before saturday so i'm going to risk it. even if there not using it i might get some action as field borders free range chicken fields!

As a rule over the years I have noticed in general Roe avoid fields with sheep in them. Although I have no doubt that in some areas they will tolerate them, but I have noticed in many of the areas I have stalked over the years, they do not like them.

They also seem to avoid fields that have had a great number in when empty of sheep. I have only a theory, in that sheep are greasy things, and I think the grease/lanolin from their wool contaminates the grass and makes it unpalatable. But a good down pour puts things back to rights.

Now this is only a theory, I have no idea if I am right or wrong, but I have one or two other stalking friends who also think there is something in it.

On the other hand other species like Sika and Reds dont seem to bothered by sheep. I am sure someone else will come up with another theory.

Sheep and Roe

Hi Bucksden, its not just the roe that dislike sheep soiled fields. Rabbits too will leave ares where large numbers of sheep have been grazing and not return till there has been rain. I have seen roe on many occasions come into a field where there have recently been sheep and have left almost straight away. Only good thing about sheep is that they bring in the foxes!

i have the same problem with fallow and sheep when the farmer have sheep there on tac for a couple of weeks the fallow deer wont use the field then about two weeks after there gone the deer return

On my way home I pass a field that is used for grazing at least two horses.

At this time of year I regularly see roe in the field as well.

Absolutely no experience of fallow so can't say.

Nick

In the Wyre Forest the horses regularly share their hay with the fallow.One owner complained that she was feeding half the deer population.
Morena

Sika, Fallow, Reds and Roe do no seem to mind horses in my experience. However large numbers of cows in a field can put Roe off, they do show but seem to stick to the edges rather than cross the field.

Sika and Fallow I have seen right next to cows, and eating the silage with them.

the fallow on my ground never seem bothered by horses or sheep it,s just the lekky fences they don,t like ,the roe hav took an instant dislike to the fences too and seemed to hav moved off for a bit , but the muntjac could not give a damn they hav their territory and they are keeping it
stone

well guys, put the seat up thursady night and saw 3 roe and a big fat ginger in the field. roe wern't bothered by us and charlie buggered off and sat on skyline with neighbours farmhouse behind.

sat in seat this morning at 05.40 hrs waiting for charlie or see if deer were around.

saw the deer about 200m away, so at about 07.00 hrs decided to get out of seat and stalk up on them. only going to shoot one if i could get close enough for neck shot. got to 100m, got spotted, sat still for eternity, got down on bipod, wound vx111 6.5-20 scope up to 20x mag, sent 55gn .243 silvertip on its way. destroyed her neck, big style, although no exit wound. she dropped like a sack of sh1t tied to 3 lead balloons! she is now in my fridge. :p :p :p

my first kill with new scope and my first neck shot, well chuffed.

who said prohunters dont work off bipods.....

sheep and roe

First of all i have to say anything that Mr Prior says i am with.

as for sheep on stubbles.
I think that the roe tend to browse and feed selectively on plants and weeds and not the grass.
so maybe a field that has been sheep grazing for a while and is covered with very short, dense grass hasn't got much for the deer.

swampy

A pensioner friend of mine often goes on a bus to Keswick in the Lake District and for many weeks has been telling me about the Roe she sees each time in a green field adjacent to a small scrappy forest.
As many as 5 have been seen at once often even at mid-day.
On the same return journey a couple of days ago she told me sheep were now in the field and the Deer were not to be seen.
In my experience also Roe do not like Sheep but our mountain Reds do not seem to mind and can often be seen with Sheep.

HWH.

Marauding mountain Reds early evening, Martindale.
HWH.

RedsatMartindale003.jpg

good enough backstop for a cruise missile i reckon.
stag every picture you post is fantastic, i think you should post all you have.

Back