Shooting Clubs

Good Afternoon ,

Just wondering what sort of shooting takes place generally with shooting clubs on MOD ranges ? Have applied to join a local rifle club that shoots on lots of MOD ranges and have no real idea what happens on a typical range day, is there any etiquette o should be aware of ? Do you leave your rifle at home the first time to get a feel for the day , do you use a club rifle , do you even shoot the first day ?

What sort of kit should I be taking ?

Loads of questions but looking for some general advice really.

I haven’t emailed the club directly (probably the best idea ) as I haven’t been accepted so thought I would just try to gather a general understanding of the day : what to expect.

Regards

Matt

Is there

Asking the club before you go is definately the best way to go, the club I am in shoots on a private rangeso we tend to be a bit informal,,,,,,But Safety is enforced 100% of the time, each club has thrie own rules and should be followed without question
Cheers
Ray

Thank you for the reply , is it mainly zeroing and target shooting you / your club do ?

What sort of disciplines are usually involved ?

Matt

They did to be fair , I was unfamiliar with a lot of them !
I just assumed it was shooting various targets at certain ranges however it seems lots of different disciplines with a variety of weapons that I don’t really know anything about.
Black powder muzzle loaders , short pistol , long pistol ,gallery rifle carbine ?

They did to be fair , I was unfamiliar with a lot of them !
I just assumed it was shooting various targets at certain ranges however it seems lots of different disciplines with a variety of weapons that I don’t really know anything about.
Black powder muzzle loaders , short pistol , long pistol ,gallery rifle carbine ?
Think you should speak with the people in the club, and let them explain all the disciplines they shoot, and how they shoot each discipline, it is going to take you a long time to learn the disciplines, go to the club listen to them and be patient , its not something you pick up overnight, and dont worry about the stuff you have never heard of before these are choices not compulsary
Cheers
Ray

enfieldspares

All clubs should take safety seriously. But some take formal target shooting as something that is deadly serious whilst others are "plinking" clubs. And there's nothing wrong with that. It is after all meant to be an enjoyment! So some have no competitions, others have almost weekly, or internal "ladders" and some just shoot for the sheer pleasure and some members, if smallbore, may shoot postal events.

That is people go out to try a new load or new factory ammunition, zero, fire a few shots and then have social intercourse with other members present. That may involve bring cakes, pork pies or sausage rolls. Some enjoy sharing the pastime of keeping old weapons shooting and finding a load that matches the original factory sight graduations. And even more so by shooting them on Courses of Fire that the weapons would originally have been shot against. Some though like all the latest new kit and to see what their colleagues are using that is bang up to date. Some clubs might even organise a shared car to a gamefair or shooting exhibition.

Bottom line? There's shooting clubs where the shooting is the be all and end all. And there's shooting clubs where the social side is actually more important....that the members do more than just "rub along" but actually do things on the range, yes, but as noted involving pork pies, tale telling, setting the world arights. If that's OK for you it works well. But OTOH you have to avoid the development of a clique or a "club within a club" by such means. Be inclusive, not exclusive, if you do have a social aspect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up , I am hoping it’s a proactive club with multi discipline shoots and some good experienced shooters to learn from.
Social side would be nice as long as it’s not all flat out social.
Keen to improve my shooting and learn a thing or two along the way.

I know nothing about distance shooting , home loading and other disciplines of shooting. Looking forward to finding out hopefully.

finnbear270

You should be getting an induction, either formal or just a friendly meeting giving some do's & dont's, a normal probation period .. then followed the issue of a competency card, until then you should be one to one supervised on MOD ranges, expect to be introduced to butts duties too.

gonzo

I've seen clubs go from being just a facility, to being a good social environment, almost overnight. It just takes one or two 'characters' to make it happen.
On one of my clubs, it's not uncommon for people to come and book in, but spend the whole eve chatting. Or showing off something, letting everyone else have a few shots and not taking a shot themselves.

Sounds like a good environment with a good social side.
Membership application sent off and payment , time willtell I guess. No doubt learn a good few things and enjoy it regardless.