Shooting Deer in a 3 Acre Garden

Sako Hunter

I've have just had a request to shoot some red deer which are causing extensive damage to a friends garden, his house borders a moor!

Can I legally shoot these deer in his Garden?

1. I have an Open Certificate.
2. The garden has a safe backstop, the round will not exit the property.
3. I have his written permission to do so.
4. My rifle is moderated.
5. His house is far enough away from neighboring properties not to cause any alarm.
6. I shoot the deer within the legal seasons.

I would value your opinions here guys.:)

bogtrotter

If the circumstances are as you say, I can see no reason why not, I have shot them on smaller property's , however you might find you are not popular with the neighbouring landowner, you might need to develop a thick skin.

nun_hunter

If the circumstances are as you say, I can see no reason why not, I have shot them on smaller property's , however you might find you are not popular with the neighbouring landowner, you might need to develop a thick skin.

If he doesn't like it you could always suggest he pays to have a fence erected to protect their garden. From what you have said you have no issues preventing you from shooting them.

kimh

nice short drag that one, crack on and reward your friend handsomely

presuming you have a deer legal caliber rifle that is...

Last edited:

baguio

If you have an open ticket then you should know what things that you need to satisfy before shooting surely?
Baguio

Tim.243

I've have just had a request to shoot some red deer which are causing extensive damage to a friends garden, his house borders a moor!

Can I legally shoot these deer in his Garden?

1. I have an Open Certificate.
2. The garden has a safe backstop, the round will not exit the property.
3. I have his written permission to do so.
4. My rifle is moderated.
5. His house is far enough away from neighboring properties not to cause any alarm.
6. I shoot the deer within the legal seasons.

I would value your opinions here guys.:)
Sounds ideal,

One thing is to make sure you have a chillier ready to hand, as they are big enough in the scope let alone when you are trying to hang it up....!!
It is a lot of meat, also a lot of meat to manage.

Good luck

Tim.243

xavierdoc

No theoretical issue but it pays to play out "worst case scenarios" in these circumstances.

Could a dead-running deer exit the property and get somewhere unfortunate, for example?

teyhan1

As has been said there is more to think about than just shooting it.
Are you going to really annoy the neighbour?
Are you willing or able to take head or neck shots to avoid the deer running off?
What will you do with the gralloch afterwards?
Will the landowner mind you gralloching on his land? There will like likely be a large amount of blood spillage.
What calibre do you have? A big bullet and pinning shot will help to avoid running if your not comfortable with a head or neck shot.

6pointer

Account Suspended
As has been said there is more to think about than just shooting it.
Are you going to really annoy the neighbour?
Are you willing or able to take head or neck shots to avoid the deer running off?
What will you do with the gralloch afterwards?
Will the landowner mind you gralloching on his land? There will like likely be a large amount of blood spillage.
What calibre do you have? A big bullet and pinning shot will help to avoid running if your not comfortable with a head or neck shot.
Good post teyhan .ps go and fill the freezer

Sako Hunter

Thanks Guys, that's answered my questions. Teyhan, you raise a good point:-
- Yes they have enough scrub area that I can bury the gralloch.
- Neighbor's are on board so that should not be an issue. (Might even give me some neighboring properties to shoot on) they are all suffering the same damage.
- At the range I will be shooting at I am comfortable with head / neck shots.
- I have a framer friend with a chiller, who has clients wanting venison.
- I shoot a .243 rifle and have both DSC Levels 1 & 2, and an open Firearm cert.

Do you think its worth having a chat with the local constabulary?

8x57

Distinguished Member
"Do you think its worth having a chat with the local constabulary?"

Please don't take this the wrong way as its not intended to cause offence but No. It's your decision that's why you have an open certificate, because you have been entrusted to make such decisions as to whether a shot is safe or not.
If you have any doubts about it you should seriously think about just walking away from it.

finnbear270

Number one:
Log this intended shoot with local plod, I wouldn't normally suggest this course, but for the mention of nearby neighbours, If only one of them is anti, you will have sh*tstorm to deal with.

Everything else sounds OK, just make sure you have WRITTEN request/permission.

caorach

Everything is fine in terms of shooting the deer but is the owner actually in a position to give you permission to shoot over the land?

It is not always the case that the landowner also holds the sporting rights which, in my experience, are often held by someone else.

Whitebeard

Do you think its worth having a chat with the local constabulary?
Absolutely NOT! as has already been pointed out you have an open cert so the decision is your, by involving the police you give them the oppertunity to say "Oo no we dont like the idea of that" then where do you stand?

Ian.

tumbleweed

"Do you think its worth having a chat with the local constabulary?"

Please don't take this the wrong way as its not intended to cause offence but No. It's your decision that's why you have an open certificate, because you have been entrusted to make such decisions as to whether a shot is safe or not.
If you have any doubts about it you should seriously think about just walking away from it.
Everything is fine in terms of shooting the deer but is the owner actually in a position to give you permission to shoot over the land?

It is not always the case that the landowner also holds the sporting rights which, in my experience, are often held by someone else.
+1 Open Cert.

This is your decision alone.
As per others quoted, there is no way would i ask the Feo or anyone else whats ok and whats not, ultimately your the one pulling the trigger,
1- Permission Confirmed, Yes
2 - Legal Rifle, yes
3 - Safe Shot (risk assessment) Yes
4 - Fire away and fill yer freezer and if you want a with a wee gift of some veni to the person asking you to take care of the Deer, win/win for everybody.