Shooting organisation and insurance

Malxwal

I have until now been a member of the BASC, it being required as a condition of membership of a wildfowling association. I have given up my place due to time/distance meaning it would be fairer to let someone else enjoy the estuary.
Anyway, options for shooting organisation membership. I feel most inclined to support the Scottish Gamekeepers Association. Anyone care to advise me I'd be wiser to continue with BASC or go elsewhere ?

I am with SACS now. Two people at the same address are covered at a discounted rate. I used to be with BASC but seeing how they failed regarding Doctors' approval and, of course, the Ali fiasco I now realise that there's no point paying a premium price for a less than premium representation as the claimed "voice of shooting" to protect shooting sports.

I am with the NGO but wish to share the following. The shoot where I beat, shoot vermin and foxes, shoot game etc now require all shooters to provide proof of Firearm/Shotgun Certificates and details of shooting organisation insurance before carrying an using firearms/shotguns on their land. Whilst I support this policy I wish to ask if insurance allows only the policy holder to be covered or can a policy holder cover his guest or son, family member when accompanied on a shoot.

I am with the NGO but wish to share the following. The shoot where I beat, shoot vermin and foxes, shoot game etc now require all shooters to provide proof of Firearm/Shotgun Certificates and details of shooting organisation insurance before carrying an using firearms/shotguns on their land. Whilst I support this policy I wish to ask if insurance allows only the policy holder to be covered or can a policy holder cover his guest or son, family member when accompanied on a shoot.

I was able to insure a guest when I had trade membership & I could change the insured person at any time with a phone call. It would be cheaper & an investment in the future just to buy them a membership to encourage them to take up shooting.

It's certainly difficult to ask people for their experiences regarding the legal assistance, as it involves personal information/issues. However, my opinion of BASC is not great generally, many anecdotal tales of very poor legal assistance. I am actually annoyed at the stupid glossy magazine that appears, full of ads for four and five figure shotguns and wondrous recounting of all the great work they have done in England teaching the children of the wealthy to shoot.
There, that's me spilled.... But, as for all other options, its really the insurance you are paying for, so are you getting the backup of a solid policy, or is it the cheapest going that's not really worth the paper the small print is on ?

SACS do "syndicate cover" where all members get a discounted rate and this covers syndicate guests, provided you notify them of the guest in advance.

Our monthly clay club has SACS syndicate cover (most of the members are also members of a game syndicate) and we simply phone and leave a voice message with teh details if a members turns up with a guest. SACS are happy to work like this.

Low cost Shooting Syndicate and Club Insurance | SACS | Shooting Insurance | Country Sports & Field Sports Insurance | Angling Fishing Club Insurance

I am now only in a deer syndicate. Any guests we have are FAC holders and have their own insurance. I am still involved in all other aspects of shooting, and would expect any insurance policy to cover for me for all activities within the UK.
I like the personal touch I get whenever I speak to SGA, and I am also friendly with several gamekeepers locally, so naturally I want to support them to the fullest.
So, it would seem my mind is set, just thought I'd ask in case there were any glaringly obvious reasons this may not be the wisest course of action?

Having recently researched insurance for our deer management group, I concluded that the BASC insurance is by far the most comprehensive by a considerable margin.
Read the policies carefully and seek answers in writing if you are unsure.

Having recently researched insurance for our deer management group, I concluded that the BASC insurance is by far the most comprehensive by a considerable margin.
Read the policies carefully and seek answers in writing if you are unsure.
Thank you. Would you be able to summarise how you felt BASC insurance came out tops ?

I have until now been a member of the BASC, it being required as a condition of membership of a wildfowling association. I have given up my place due to time/distance meaning it would be fairer to let someone else enjoy the estuary.
Anyway, options for shooting organisation membership. I feel most inclined to support the Scottish Gamekeepers Association. Anyone care to advise me I'd be wiser to continue with BASC or go elsewhere ?

SGA £40 BASC £more

To be honest i'd join both Basc and sga and hope that atleast 1 off them is on their toes while the other is sleeping.
Been a member of both for years as well as GWCT.

Seemingly basc insurance is different to most others (i forget the term)but is astand alone policy, most of the others will ask u to claim of house insurance 1st and only use it if house ins doesnae cover it.

Patterdale, basc also used to do a syndicate ins which was very good and any uest was covered without any prior warning, but that was for diy syndicates, not sure is relevant if ur vermin shooting on privaste land, the shoot itself may have a commercial policy for that???
The sga used to sell insurance by the day, u'd buy so many tokens/tickets and then phone up an answer phone number giving details and the ticket number, used to be about £10 for the day

Malc, just watch out for the terms and conditions in the small print. The SGA used to cover you in a professional capacity when stalking, but i think it's now reduced to recreational cover only. If you need professional cover you may have to go to the NFU or I think there's a broker called Lymans (?) who organise cancellation cover for grouse days etc. They may be able to help. ATB Dave

Back