Shooting Sticks

fraser

I am looking to buy some shooting sticks for fallow stalking and I can't decide on whether to go for something like knobloch or something a little less expensive. Any advice gratefully received.

caorach

I use the garden canes and following a tip I picked up on here I tie a length of light rope around where they cross and then stand on it and keep it under tension when shooting off them. Works a treat so my advice is to try it before you spend money on buying a pair as the total cost will be a few quid and you might find it works for you.

Cris

Tried garden canes but like to shoot from sitting allot and know use tripod style telescopic legged sticks. Think they are M3 or something like that for about £30. Very versatile and quick to change from prone to sitting to standing. Can use one two or all three legs if you wish.

charadam

Do not p**s about.

Limulus.

His quad sticks have revolutionised not only my shooting, but my approach to my shooting.

Monkey Spanker

I am looking to buy some shooting sticks for fallow stalking and I can't decide on whether to go for something like knobloch or something a little less expensive. Any advice gratefully received.

At a cost of about £10, the best sticks you will ever find as they are tailor made for you, by you!
I can group as well off these as I can in the prone position.
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/63360-Monkey-Sticks-!!?highlight=monkey+sticks
Far better than twin sticks or a tripod as they support the rifle at both ends.
MS;)

palmer_mike

devon deer stalker

flytie

I find wood to be nicer to handle than metal, especially during the winter. I can vouch not only for the sticks produced by Limulus, but the service too. He is a diamond geezer to deal with and the sticks are first rate.

​Simon

2130martin

I use the garden canes and following a tip I picked up on here I tie a length of light rope around where they cross and then stand on it and keep it under tension when shooting off them. Works a treat so my advice is to try it before you spend money on buying a pair as the total cost will be a few quid and you might find it works for you.

​Can you explain this further or post a picture?sounds interesting...

bewsher500

​Can you explain this further or post a picture?sounds interesting...

twin sticks with a third leg of rope under tension by standing on it:

Remstod.jpg

Erik Hamburger

Lots of stalkers are very succesful with a hazel stick cut from the garden. Cheap as well ;)

Saugmann

I wanted a pair of of sticks that were quiet, telescopic and fast/easy to set up.

Knobloch are by far the best sticks I've come across. Yes, they're not cheap, but I think they're worth the price.

Based on my personal experience I'd say if you buy, buy Knobloch. If you want to save money make the sticks yourself, don't buy cheap ones.

All the best,

​Christian

jimbo123p

I have knobloch tripod in the for sales in the ads. It will be way back. Moved on to quads. Suits my needs better. Make me a sensible offer?

lotuseater

How tall are you?

I am over 6' and found commercial sticks were quite simply designed for short-arses.

​Garden Canes the way to go.

Conor1

I made a set of these with the instructions provided by Monkey Spanner. Instead of using a bungee to lash the sticks together, I drilled each pole with a 4mm bit and used plastic zip ties. I taped the ends to cover the sharp edges but will look for something better.

I have little or no experience with shooting sticks and this thread caught my interest. There is a certain satisfaction to making something practical yourself. I tried them with an air rifle shooting at just 22m .........they are rock solid and provide a very stable shooting platform. For the price of a tenner and 30 mins light concentration they are brilliant.