Shotgun identification

So mine is likely to be a No 3? Yer lives and learns! It was gifted to me by a friend to lend to youngsters/novices on our shoot, and I assumed it was a Yeoman.

In fact it is so similar to the OP's that I suspect they are the same model.

Your's appears to be exactly the same as mine. As there is some confusion I have been recommended to send the serial number to AYA and get them to identify it.
I will let you know how I get on.

Your's appears to be exactly the same as mine. As there is some confusion I have been recommended to send the serial number to AYA and get them to identify it.
I will let you know how I get on.
I'm leaning more to Model 3 thanks to this thread. Mine has 26" barrels, action screws not pins, concave rib, there's some engraving, though to be fair it's pretty ropey, and most of the colour has worn away from the action. It also has a stock oval if that makes a difference? Look forward to your response from AYA

I'm leaning more to Model 3 thanks to this thread. Mine has 26" barrels, action screws not pins, concave rib, there's some engraving, though to be fair it's pretty ropey, and most of the colour has worn away from the action. It also has a stock oval if that makes a difference? Look forward to your response from AYA

Mine is 28". No stock oval. However retains gold 's' and does not say Yeoman anywhere on it. Will be interesting to see what it is.

Reactions: C.J
Looks like a Yeoman to me too.

These low line AYA guns are an odd overlap.

Yeoman (a non ejector).

Yeoman Ejector. Yes there was Yeoman Ejector.

No 3 (a non ejector).

The visible difference is the pins on the Yeoman. On both types of Yeoman they are simply driven through. Like on a Webley 700.

Here's a Yeoman in an advert:

On the No3 you've got them as on the No4. Here's a No3 in an advert:

Supposedly if a Yeoman or Yeoman Ejector it'll have that engraved over the right hand chamber

As with the Countryman sidelock. Or the boxlock English Game. But...

But I've seen both Yeoman AND Countryman where that has been removed.

And I know it has been removed as I have viewed the gun(s) when it had it still in place.

The internet.

A punter's friend as it is so easy to search a gun now in past auction catalogues with make and serial number.

There seem to be both No3's and No4's with pins or screws advertised on the internet

The ones with screws appear to be a better quality gun and also have a square of barrel lump visible through the floor plate like "scapegoats"

Yeoman, No 3, or indeed No 4 they are superior to the Webley 700 as they all have proper replaceable cross pins. The Webley doesn't. Which together with the Webley's odd front lump isn't ideal and nor is its so called cross pin if you need to re-joint.

The safety is the same as I have on my no. 4 (form & engraving). Rib is the same, action screws & engraving all look much the same. The principal differences I can see are the lack of the diamond on the fore-end, lack of ejectors & mine has a 'silver' oval on the underside of the stock. It looks as if your fore-end is slightly brighter than the stock; could it be a later addition?

Try contacting AYA directly with the serial number. I've done this in the past and they (a lady by the name of Carmen if I remember correctly) are normally very quick to respond with the details.

So,trawling through a few more adverts it seems early serial number No 3's and No 4's have pins and those after serial number about 350000 have screws.(for the sears and hammer pivots).

I was hoping that the change happened after the Yeoman was introduced , but I have still found a few Yeoman with serial numbers starting with 2 - Unless they are really No 3's :banghead:

I have a Yeoman ejector, my first and only double barrel shot gun. Could be 40+ years old. Now bored improved and quarter.

D

Back