Shotgun screw threads

Roro

A lockplate screw has stripped on my Trulock bros side by side shotgun. Its the screw that passes through the lockplate on one side, through the stock and threads into the other lockplate. I want to turn up a new one, and assumed given its size that the screw would be B.A. form. Its not. Measuring the diameter gives 0.1695 inches and 36 threads per inch.

I want to buy a die to cut the threads, and looking at the thread charts the closest i can see is no.8 UNF. Does anyone know what threads were used in handmade guns in the Uk and Ireland before ww1, which is when i guesstimate the gun was made.

enfieldspares

First it's a pin not a screw! Second I was also think #8 UNF. But for clarity screws go into wood, pins go into metal.

Threads on pins, unfortunately, can be anything. Many probably turned their own pins (and screws) on the lathe and made, then, their own taps.

But try Whitworth (BSW) as a last resort.

Although, thank Goodness, on most continental made guns such as my 1920's Manufrance the threads on pins are bog standard metric!

Last edited:

Roro

First it's a pin not a screw! Screws go into wood, pins go into metal. Threads on pins, unfortunately, can be anything.

Many probably turned their own pins (and screws) on the lathe and made, then, their own taps. But try Whitworth or RMS as a last resort.

Although, thank Goodness, on most continental made guns such as my 1920's Manufrance the threads on pins are bog standard metric!

Yeah i knew about the pin/screw thing, but did not want to confuse the issue. It is odd though, many threads like pipe threads, cycle threads, machine threads had been standardised long before this gun was made, you would imagine the gun trade would have done likewise.

paul o'

Try Frances Lovel he own grants and has access to all the info needed to help you iam sure .

Found you this .​
Your gun bears the name of a renowned Irish gunmaker in Trulock Bros. of Dublin.
The name dates back to 1814 when William Trulock set up in business. His business was split into two seperate entities, I know not when, but one of these was Trulock Brothers who remained in business at 13 Parliament Street, Dublin. until around 1900.​

Roro

Try Frances Lovel he own grants and has access to all the info needed to help you iam sure .

Found you this .​
Your gun bears the name of a renowned Irish gunmaker in Trulock Bros. of Dublin.
The name dates back to 1814 when William Trulock set up in business. His business was split into two seperate entities, I know not when, but one of these was Trulock Brothers who remained in business at 13 Parliament Street, Dublin. until around 1900.​

Thanks Paul O'. I will try lovels. Yes i knew a bit about Trulocks, the shop in Parliament street is now a fish restaurant, and Rigby's shop on Suffolk street is now a fast food joint :(.

tarponhead

+1. Francis Lovell at Minster Lovell are great to deal with - very helpful and deep expertise and not just about old shotguns, with an Alladin's Cave of a gunshop - well worth a visit or see them at the Game Fair.​

Roro

Francis Loval is on 01993864949, he's in Witney opposite the car auctions and normally closed on Mondays.

Thanks Gunner. I see you are in Banbury, do you ever watch the Banbury run for old motorcycles in June ? I always wanted to go over for it, but somehow never make it.