Should plastic wad shotgun cartridges be banned?

Should plastic wad be banned?

• Total voters

shotguntom

Chaps,

Just a thought really as to why plastic wad is still used? They clearly are not good for the environment and a fiber wad alternative is only slightly more expensive.

Im sure someone on here can explain why they both are available but i the mean time what are your thoughts on their use? Yes or no?

49ERIC

Thinking many clay Grounds , and maybe Most , game shoots already insist on fiber wads only , ?? or is it me , anyway here's a ''yes '' for fiber wads

:) NEW Law coming out soon all plastic wads must be recovered and taken home by the shooter at the end of each day :D as for voting
do like not the word '' banned'' maybe some common sense here , if you are able to shoot over some one,s Else,s land THEN is it not common curtsy to pocket your cartridges and use fiber wads , bloody hell it just me ? :confused:

Last edited:

AN DU RU FOX

i voted no but not out of any particular reason as i see it manufacturers could just make enviro shells now if they wanted,but at a very different( high)price plus the fibre wads now that are being used have plastic cases and thousands if not millions get left or thrown all over place clay grounds or shoots ,and from whatever enviro gain you make by banning plastic wads is then out weighed by the empty shells, or one volcano erupting for a day,:D

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Fibre wads aren't really suitable for steel shot. You can get some with fibre cups but only for very light steel loads (because the fibre cup is bulkier than a plastic wad). And any non toxic shot apart from steel is mentally expensive.

So I vote no.

It would definitely be nice to see research going into finding a cheap biodegradable plastic alternative though... The trouble is you want them to disappear quick but at the same time you don't want them melting in your pocket in the rain!

Last edited:

PointBlank

Fibre wads aren't really suitable for steel shot. You can get some with fibre cups but only for very light steel loads (because the fibre cup is bulkier than a plastic wad). And any non toxic shot apart from steel is mentally expensive.

So I vote no.

It would definitely be nice to see research going into finding a cheap biodegradable plastic alternative though... The trouble is you want them to disappear quick but at the same time you don't want them melting in your pocket in the rain!
I was speaking to someone who is definitely in the know a while ago who stated there are biodegradable options for all steel loads with as good or better performance than plastic just the cost will be higher until they become more widespread so with that I will say yes. Hate seeing plastic wads laying about.

teyhan1

fibre wads aren't really suitable for steel shot. You can get some with fibre cups but only for very light steel loads (because the fibre cup is bulkier than a plastic wad). And any non toxic shot apart from steel is mentally expensive.

So i vote no.

look at my link

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
When they are available for the same price as normal plastic wads I'll change my vote to yes.

shotguntom

i voted no but not out of any particular reason as i see it manufacturers could just make enviro shells now if they wanted,but at a very different( high)price plus the fibre wads now that are being used have plastic cases and thousands if not millions get left or thrown all over place clay grounds or shoots ,and from whatever enviro gain you make by banning plastic wads is then out weighed by the empty shells, or one volcano erupting for a day,:D
I see your point but a picking up all your plastic wads isnt possible, to stop being a lazy git and picking up your spent cartridges is possible. (Not aimed at you directly).

49ERIC

So I vote no.

mmm steel shot Maybe for wetlands or maybe not ? but vermin clays and rest ,,in the real world steel shot just not happening is it ?

Last edited:

Alistair

Personally I don't use plastic as all the shooting I do (clays, 1 or 2 small game days, pigeon and the occasional rabbit) allows me to use suitable lead cartridges with plastic wads for +/- 7% the cost of the equivalent plastics. (sad though it may seem I actually had to calculate this to justify purchasing fibre for university subsidised competitions). Also, my home clay ground and the little syndicate where I do beaters day both require you to use fibre. However, if I ever had the opportunity to go wildfowling, I would use plastic with steel shot and wouldn't feel guilty about it as it is the only even remotely economical load to use. Therefore, it would appear that they have their uses and therefore shouldn't be banned. It would be interesting to see, if the ban on lead shot comes in, whether more people will use plastic or if the cartridge companies will bring in reasonably priced fibre alternatives for use with steel. As for leaving cases lying around, well just don't.

jubnut

I voted no.

For similar reasons to CSL, even the more expensive non toxic shots require a plastic wad, shot cup.

The plastic wads are for the most part photo degradable anyway. I know they last longer than fibre, wool, oakum or paper but they do degrade. They don't just hang around forever.

Yorric

Plastic should not be banned (yet), but pressure towards making available, affordable, biodegradable options is needed to provide less environmental long term polution.
When there are good "environmental" alternatives around, I & most folks I know will use them.
The manufacturers should be pressured to do the necessary development in this direction, & distributors / shops orientated the right way too.
I reload wildfowling cartridges & there are a few biodegradable wads & cups available, I use these options when I can get proven charge weight data etc, but good data is not very easily found to match all the permutations of case types, primers, powders, wads, crimp type, shot type, size & load etc & the availability of components is a perpetual problem with very few good suppliers in the UK.

Ian

dan71

No plastic wads they lay all over the place. People who leave spent cases about are just lazy. It may cost a bit more for fibre but it is better in the long run. We always went round the pegs the day after a shoot to collect all used cases. Any that left them behind were told about it

Chasey

mmm steel shot Maybe for wetlands or maybe not ? but vermin clays and rest ,,in the real world steel shot just not happening is it ?

Its ileagle to shoot duck with lead so we use steel on all our duck ponds.

We all value our firearms certs and being caught shooting duck with lead is a good way to loose it.

We shoot Phesent in the same fields with lead shot but thats leagle :(

ATB

Chasey

Last edited: