Siezed optilock bases

palmer_mike

Problem with my optilock mounts!
noticed while out this evening that the screws attaching the rings to bases are loose. Stopped stalking and went home to tighten the offending screws.

i can't get the fecking bases off the action as the screws securing these have seized!!!!!!
as a consequence I've buggered up the torx keys trying to undo the screws and now don't know what to do. Any hints gratefully received although I suspect it's a case of getting a gunsmith to get the bases of somehow.

shakey jake

Soak the threads as sugested. You may be able to find an allen key in .5mm larger than the torx now youve rounded the hole. good luck
Jake

Ferryman

If you want to apply heat to the screws use a soldering iron as the heat is very localised
I have used one on screws that had been loctited in.

pinkfoot1

If you want to apply heat to the screws use a soldering iron as the heat is very localised
I have used one on screws that had been loctited in.
Agreed, also, rather than immediately trying to unscrew the fixings try giving them a clockwise turn, this will usually break the bond and as another member suggested, try a slightly bigger hex key, even tapping it into the damaged socket with a light hammer, the impact from which will also help to break the bond.

adrian0100

Try a squirt of plus gas I have found anything that will beat it yet also you could try alittle heat if you think they have a thread lock agent on them

all the best adrian

ejg

I'd neatly drill out the screw heads, remove the optilocks and use them as fishing weights or straight in the bin.
edi

Ranger22

Some heat and a slightly bigger torx key, last time I used the wifes hair drier as a heat source.

palmer_mike

Thanks for all the tips. All sorted now!
I took the rifle into my local gunshop as they've God a proper set of torx screwdrivers and gun vice etc.
eventually needed up tapping the base backwards off the dovetail (surprisingly it slid off ok) with a toffee hammer and block! Just ordered myself a replacement set of bolts and should be good to go!

paul o'

all good I used fat wrench and shocked mine off tight then in-tight but damaged the heads as they are soft , now message to self get the correct drivers and a fat wrench :tiphat:lol.

bobjs

pm,

just for the future ref, get some criol it's a great oil for the gunroom, since i got some i have never been without it fandabbydozzy stuff.

bob