sig ssg its arrived

Jason308250

its here been waiting 4 months now its arrived,looking foreward to getting it warm now and seeing what it can do,im interested to see the accuracy potential as the range card is showing .3moa using 168 grain norma factory loads,i know that this means nothing but it looks impressive.also want to see how good the sl5 ase utra moderator is had a mixed response when i posted a month back on the effectiveness of this mod on a .308.have 70 home loads of 168grain a-max with 44 grains of varget to shoot off,this load was shooting .5 moa in my remmy pss so im intereted to see what it can do WIN_20150110_141622.JPG :D

Muir

its here been waiting 4 months now its arrived,looking foreward to getting it warm now and seeing what it can do,im interested to see the accuracy potential as the range card is showing .3moa using 168 grain norma factory loads,i know that this means nothing but it looks impressive.also want to see how good the sl5 ase utra moderator is had a mixed response when i posted a month back on the effectiveness of this mod on a .308.have 70 home loads of 168grain a-max with 44 grains of varget to shoot off,this load was shooting .5 moa in my remmy pss so im intereted to see what it can do View attachment 51322 :D
Holy Cow! You waited 4 months for the weather to warm up??? It was +23F today and I thought it perfect for range work. Balmy, even.
Nice looking rig, Amigo.~Muir

Southern

Now, don't be saying you disbelieve the .3 inch groups on the test target. If you are not shooting those groups, we will call operator error, at the range or loading bench.

I have a SIG SHR 970, and it is very accurate. Prepare to be pleased.

And Muir, it was +14F this morning in the Sunny South, high of 29. But beautiful sky and no wind. I think tomorrow the 7x64s and T3 7mm-08 might work out.

Last edited:

Muir

Now, don't be saying you disbelieve the .3 inch groups on the test target. If you are shooting those groups, we will call operator error, at the range or loading bench.

I have a SIG SHR 970, and it is very accurate. Prepare to be pleased.

And Muir, it was +14F this morning in the Sunny South, high of 29. But beautiful sky and no wind. I think tomorrow the 7x64s and T3 7mm-08 might work out.
We had -24F yesterday. (with a 15 mph wind) Thank God for block heaters. Shoot while the weather's good.~Muir

Jason308250

muir you have missunderstood what i meant in my post,i have waited 4 months for the rifle to arrive and to getting the rifle warm while shooting it not about the weather,your right its a nice rig i cant wait to see what it can do.southern i did not disbelieve the the .3inch group on the test card with factory loads but you can normaly improve with homeloads.i am glad that your sig 970 is a good shooting rifle i hope that mine is as good and i can replicate the test card with my loads.my operator error is very good ha ha ha,thanks guys for the input from one very happy sig ssg owner

Southern

I own two SHR 970s, .308 and .280, with an extra .270 barrel. A two friends own .30-06s. They all shoot, out of the box, groups will all bullets touching, with just hunting loads. The handguns and the military riffles my friends and I have are the same solid, precision construction. If you have not gone on to YouTube and watched the SSG 3000s in rapid fire matches in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, do so.

Jason308250

Southern I'm having a problem finding anything on you tube on the ssg can you please send me a link if you can.i have only found a few reviews on the ssg .thanks

TIFFY264

That 18"barrel looks a tad long Jason,is that why you put a coke can on the end and put your best mod on the shelf behind.[next to the cupboard full of varget?]

p.s. check out rover's post 25 06 for charlie

Last edited:

Jason308250

thanks southern will check out the link in a bit.thanks nick you know i cant get any varget mate its a good job you gave me the 1kg tub of n-150 to try,its your fault with the mod you made me get it,i think charlie is still going the 243 at the moment i think he is finding more about the 25-06 before he makes his decision.nick 308 my family got me the smellies for christmas i think there trying to tell me something:D.

That 18"barrel looks a tad long Jason,is that why you put a coke can on the end and put your best mod on the shelf behind.[next to the cupboard full of varget?]

p.s. check out rover's post 25 06 for charlie
Ive seen Rovers thread Nick and it is worth the read mate still undecided but open minded

Jason308250

southern you are right about the accuracy of the sig,shot this group yesterday after barrel break in procedure i was impressed with this group,apart from the slight operator error.

WIN_20150118_145737.JPG

Southern

No surprise there. And every SIG SHR, STR, 3000, K-31, and military battle rifles I have ever seen were not picky about the loads. Just dump any good ammo in them and they shoot it.

I took a friend hunting, and all his rifles were in California, so we went to the range to shoot a few and let hm choose one. He shot my SIG .308 five shots and said, "This makes me sick. It shoots as well as my M40 ( he was a Marine sniper in Iraq), and weighs about half as much."

Some of the NATO armies use the SHR 970 in a tactical stock as their long range rifles, just basically a hunting rifle.

Jason308250

i am won over i thought there would be a difference,this group was the result of the rounds that was developed for the remmy pss.45 grains of varget with 168 grain a-max well chuffed.i am also impressed with the ase utra sl5 it moderated better than i thought happy days all round