Sightron v Vortex

Cadex

I'm in the market for a new scope.

It shall be used for stalking and a bit of long range work on top of a Tikka T3 Varmint .308.

I was right on the verge of placing an order on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 but my attention has been drawn to the Sightron S-Tac 4-20×50

I tend to buy on the basis of simplicity and quality over fancy features.

Any comments pros or cons on either would be appreciated.

Last edited:

nun_hunter

I've got two Vortex Vipers, one with target turrets and a MOA hashed reticle and the other capped turrets with the BBC reticle but still easy to dial if needed. Never had a Sightron so can't compare the two directly. Personally I'd get the Vortex with capped turrets and BDC reticle as it's more streamlined, can't knock the turrets while stalking yet if you want to sit out and range shots and dial then you can do this easily and it has the same amount of adjustment as the tactical turret version, which is a lot , around 60moa or so. The BDC reticle is a lot "cleaner" so better for stalking and with a drop chart it is easy to work out what distances equate to what lines so great for quick shots at longer ranges. Eyebox is a bit fussy but a good cheek weld eliminates this.

Erik Hamburger

I have several Sightron S11 6x42 fixed scopes in use, they do the job just fine. Sadly now not in production anymore as the current fashion is for variable scopes, ballistic turrets and tactical reticles... But Sightron products are excellent value.

Chasey

I have never used a Sightron but I have two Vortex and they are extremely good. So much so I am thinking of selling my Swarovski Z6is and replaceing them with Vortex Vipers

Cadex

Appreciate you're input, I had a go of a pair of Vortex binoculars tonight (10x56) whilst out looking for a buck and I was amazed at the quality.
I think the big three optic providers should be very nervous.

Cyres

My son has a Vortex viper on his .22lr and uses it to dial in very capable scope. I had a look through a sightron and found the FOV was quite narrow. The S tac however is the scope to have for NV add ons.

If I was you have a look at a Delta titanium which for the money is a fantastic bit of kit.

On the Vortex the illum reticule fully lites whichI don't like, on the Delta its a tiny central dot, similar to the Zeiss and gives a very precise aim point. I cant remember the Sightron ? illum dot or central cross.

Voterx lifetime warranty, delta is 10yrs unsure of warranty on sightron.

Best look through them all and see for yourself.

Pity your not down south as we could have let you look through all three.

D

dully1963

I have both and would not like to pick between them ,both carry the same lifetime guarantee so it would be down to who has the best deal on at the time hope this helps

Edinburgh Rifles

I have three sightrons personally
the turrets and tracking for range work are exceptional.
the vortex is similar in many ways but I prefer the feel of the sightron. It just feels a better quality item

looked through a delta just the other day however and it was very clear
not the same build quality though.

liongeorge

I have two Sightron S Tacs both 2.5-17 x 56 s one is the standard MOA one (I would say great for this but not ideal for stalking) on a .17 hornet the other is an awesome stalking scope that is not advertised anywhere in uk don't know why as it is available. It has a 4a ret and low profile turrets so much better for deer. Got mine from Northern Optics. See here: S-TAC2.5-17.5X56IR4A Sightron USA Both dial in perfectly. And the illumination is really good, can dim down nicely.

Haven't seen a Vortex but think it might be a bit too tactical for stalking

Cadex

I have three sightrons personally
the turrets and tracking for range work are exceptional.
the vortex is similar in many ways but I prefer the feel of the sightron. It just feels a better quality item

looked through a delta just the other day however and it was very clear
not the same build quality though.

Very helpful Ed, cheers. Can't beat personal recommendations.
I think Sightron it shall be, as I've yet to come across a negative review.

Cadex

I have two Sightron S Tacs both 2.5-17 x 56 s one is the standard MOA one (I would say great for this but not ideal for stalking) on a .17 hornet the other is an awesome stalking scope that is not advertised anywhere in uk don't know why as it is available. It has a 4a ret and low profile turrets so much better for deer. Got mine from Northern Optics. See here: S-TAC2.5-17.5X56IR4A Sightron USA Both dial in perfectly. And the illumination is really good, can dim down nicely.

Haven't seen a Vortex but think it might be a bit too tactical for stalking
Excellent information thanks

Doric

I have two Sightrons an Stack and an S111, both are very good opticaly, marginaly beter than the Vortex. You are right to concider the Delta scopes as these are exceptional value for money I have a Stryker and it is a cut above though very heavy and best suited to a target varment type rifle.