Sika shot on my ground

Von

My mate shot this stag of my ground two years ago and has just got it mounted by Colin Scott (Border Taxidermy) Nice job!!

IMG_0567.jpgIMG_0569.jpg

Von,

I'm curious where 'is' your ground..I've been trying to place it in relation to where I stalk based on your posts but just can't figure it out! if you don't want to share, nearest town perhaps?

atb

P

Interesting Allan, it has palmation to the left antler, like several I have shot over the years on ground between Stobo and Hearthstanes. Colin does an outstanding job on Sika as has worked with them a lot. Dropped one off a couple of months ago to get done in the same pose as the Sika stag on the front page of his website, just looking slightly to the right.

The mature sika stags here in the Forest of Bowland often are 'almost palmated' - certainly more so than those I have seen in Dorset of the north of Scotland.

A lovely head and a cracking bit of taxidermy.

Interesting Allan, it has palmation to the left antler, like several I have shot over the years on ground between Stobo and Hearthstanes. Colin does an outstanding job on Sika as has worked with them a lot. Dropped one off a couple of months ago to get done in the same pose as the Sika stag on the front page of his website, just looking slightly to the right.
I've had another two more stags with palmation, and it's always on the left also Brian. Yes Colin is good at his job. I was in the other week sorting out this head and their was another cracker of a Sika in getting done. Defo a medal.

I've had another two more stags with palmation, and it's always on the left also Brian. Yes Colin is good at his job. I was in the other week sorting out this head and their was another cracker of a Sika in getting done. Defo a medal.

​Did he say where the other one was from?

My guess would be gold. If not it's defo silver.

He will not go medal class! I have already scored him and he was just short of a Bronze. The scoring with Sika is all down to "uniformity" on both sides and length of tines etc. You can see for instance the brow tines have no length in them at all. He has good overall length and the extra tine but that's about it. Actually the palmation does not help when scoring Sika.

Still a beautiful and different head though, very unique due to the palmation on the left hand antler top & bottom. I'm glad he got it mounted.

Here is a Silver medal I shot a couple of year ago that scored 245 points. I had already scored this head myself prior to CIC judging and scored it 243points. So not too far out. You can see it has good uniformity and tine length.

IMG_0204 (480x640).jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting Von

I was using this beast as a guide which was well into Gold and shot on Hearthstanes. I thought it looked very similar to the one in the photo but wrong call on my part:

Very interesting Von

I was using this beast as a guide which was well into Gold and shot on Hearthstanes. I thought it looked very similar to the one in the photo but wrong call on my part:

Yes Jon you can see with your head how it's medal class, nice and symmetrical and really good length on all fronts. Lovely head.

Excellent head Allan thanks for posting photo's. Hope your keeping well give my regards to Tam and Stevie.

Jimbo

Yes Jon you can see with your head how it's medal class, nice and symmetrical and really good length on all fronts. Lovely head.

Yes can see that now Von looking at the photograph in more detail. I'd assumed the right brow time (as you look at him in the photo) to be same length as the left but looking closely I think I am correct in thinking it is non existent. If the right brow time was same length I am sure it would have scored eh?

It's still a super representation of course and congratulations to the stalker concerned.

Last edited:
Back