Silage clear up

Cyres

Well its first cut silage time again, gets earlier every year. ground is rock hard and strong East wind is doing a lot of daamge. Mowing started on Tuesday and is on going, first night we had 4, next 2, last night 1. I am expecting a productive field to be cut today so will be out again tonight. We have accounted for 14 foxs in the last 10 days, cannot fathom out where they are all coming from. We know on one place we have at least 3 but cannot get on it as the grass is so long and wont be cut until July.

All shot with .204 or .17 Fireball and XQ 38 is proving to absolutely indispensible.

D

Paddy_SP

Well done, David - that's excellent work! We don't have much long grass up here in the hills, but last night we were on lower ground near Exeter which has loads. Paul shot a fox there - it went straight down, but even though we knew roughly where it was, we just couldn't see it despite both of us having thermal imagers and endless criss-crossing of the area. Cue our secret weapon - Rufus (my Korthals Griffon); I walked back to the truck and drove over, then gave him the magic command 'Find the fox' - it took him about two seconds!

Rowey

Well done, David - that's excellent work! We don't have much long grass up here in the hills, but last night we were on lower ground near Exeter which has loads. Paul shot a fox there - it went straight down, but even though we knew roughly where it was, we just couldn't see it despite both of us having thermal imagers and endless criss-crossing of the area. Cue our secret weapon - Rufus (my Korthals Griffon); I walked back to the truck and drove over, then gave him the magic command 'Find the fox' - it took him about two seconds!
Rufus the Korthals Griffon. Sounds like a Harry Potter character!

Cyres

Its big smelly and certainly rough haired having had to share a back seat with him!!!!!

yes we had similar problems, in most cases one of us spots with the thermal and other shoots so we have a good idea, and to assist locate reference point on horizon to use as a visual aid. Sometimes its so easy to loose them especially if the swath is really thick I have on occassions had to walk at 90 degrees to rows and look up each row. Also handy to change thermal settings to black and contrast is better. Must say thermal working spectacularly well in this cold E wind.

When solo walking out I use my quad sticks so assuming its a instant kill shot then easy to locate exact direction and effectively walk down the line of sight.

D

D

philip

Silage down here ain't nowhere near cutting, still finding a few though, new cut fields really draws em out of the wood, it really pays to keep up watching on new opportunities, I've taken one or two this past week on marshland/ boggy areas, probably nesting birds, frogs etc drawing em in, areas they don't normally visit, small holding up the road has lost a few chickens, it could be the stash area :D sounds like you've a good time, well done

Cyres

Got another brace on Friday eve, v strong wind, dog weighed in at 17 lb. Saw 2 and shot both so well pleased with the weeks activities.

I expect most of it will be ploughed and down to maize by the end of the week.

D

D

Paddy_SP

We just checked out some freshly cut silage - in fact, exactly where you joined us last time! I found a large vixen looking for voles, etc. She took a bullet at about 165 paces. There were also three badgers nosing around at the top of a hill further along the valley. Before we got to the silage, Paul shot a dog fox in the meadow opposite the farmyard - that means we're on one a day for the month so far!

Cyres

Likewise, cannot fathom out where they are all coming from, not as if we not been out and so far only 2 missed all year (not by me) I have got one of the these, the other is mighty educated and runs over some no go ground.

D