Simple way to mount a truck bed winch

Home Loader

Evening sir
your best bet is to have a look in the back of an FC truck take a picture and take the truck to a steel fabricator, it's not a particularly difficult job. The higher up you can mount the winch the better. When you choose winch don't pick a big one because their is tendancy to try and pull the truck out if you get stuck and the difference in frame and mount point strength required for pull a deer up and debogging a truck is huge just ask the lads round here who have had to go to the boss in the morning.

Tim.243

While looking at ways to install a rear winch I came across these 2 links.

http://www.toyloader.com/

Mounting Electric Winch In/On Pick Up Bed

Definitely worth considering IMHO
What do you need to drag up on to the buck?

Having converted several artic trailers for transporting xl size mobile homes which all had 2 large 24v winches' front and back to pull the on and off. Most of them were fitted on 1" thick plate using 10.9 nm bolts.

However you do it don't use cheap soft bolts, 8.8nm at the very least.

Tim.243

Tim.243

Ferryman

Hi Tim

Yes using the right grade of bolt is often overlooked.

Hi Martin.

Not looking to use the rear winch for anything tough, that will be reserved for the front winch.

2130martin

Hi Tim

Hi Martin.

Not looking to use the rear winch for anything tough, that will be reserved for the front winch.
If you have a front winch,consider putting rollers or similair over bonnet and roof to load with?

Tim.243

Hi Tim

Hi Martin.

Then I would copy the profile of the ribs on the buck and sandwich 2 plates. find a bit of round bar and set it so it matches the ribs top and bottom.

Drill and tap the top plate with the holes centres of the winch, bolt them through the buck and bolt the winch to the top plate. Bigger the plates the better you spread the load.

Tim.243

Orion

I have a Superwinch "Winch-in-a-Bag" which is semi-pernamently mounted in the rear of my truck for loading carcases.

View attachment 72250
http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/winches/superwinch/superwinch-portable-winches.html

The reason I went for the Superwinch was that I can also mount it to the towball or even remotely to a tree etc. for recovery from difficult but accessible places.

View attachment 72249

I've got cargo tracking fitted around the loadbed and on top of the drawers, and it provides an adequate mounting point for pulling the up to 200kg weight up the ramp and into the back. I've now upgraded from the plaster's bath and el cheapo motorcycle loading ramp to a specific deer/game sledge (Frankonia 60 euros) and a more sustantial and stable (if pricey!) MultiRamp from Roadranger that clears the lowered tailgate.

View attachment 72251

View attachment 72252
http://www.frankonia.de/Wildwanne+Schlittenform/Ansicht.html?Artikelnummer=188030&navCategoryId=62166

View attachment 72253

Last edited: