Sinclair lug recess tool

terrier

In the current Shooting Times Q&A section Bruce Potts mentions a Sinclair tool for cleaning crud out of bolt lug recesses. Suddenly I want one...
Does anyone know of a UK supplier, or a similar alternative. Alternative alternative is how do other people treat this problem?

jcampbellsmith

fizzbangwhallop

I bought one from fleabay a couple of years ago that uses dental rolls... just had a look but can't find any the moment.

Basically just a rod with an 'ole through the end... My one is a non-commercial shed job in steel with a knurled ally handle, 26cm long, 6mm shaft, 10mm head with an 8mm hole across to take the 8mm rolls.

I'm thinking the commercial offering I've seen is plastic off the top of my head.... but its by one of the usual makers... Sinclair, Pro-Shot, Stoney Creek etc etc.

The dental rolls are cheap n cheerful bought in bulk packs from medical suppliers... got enough to last a lifetime.

cheers

Fizz

bewsher500

make one!

bit of dowel with a 8mm hole drilled in the end and a box of dental swabs of eBay!

Actually now I use a pair of extra long surgical forceps and the same dental swaps

Muir

make one!

bit of dowel with a 8mm hole drilled in the end and a box of dental swabs of eBay!

Actually now I use a pair of extra long surgical forceps and the same dental swaps
..... Or the working end of a childs tooth brush fit to a short rod. A friend of mine used two of these back to back epoxied to an old pistol cleaning rod. Insert along the bolt rails, give a couple of twists, and out it comes. A patch set between the opposing heads and wrapped loosely around the unit removes what he has broken loose. Works very well and cost next to nothing.~Muir

enfieldspares

That's inspired Muir. No need to spend money on an expensive gizmo. 'Tho if you like you could put a Dymo label "Synclear" on it or somesuch.

But in truth I've never cleaned the lug recesses on any rifle I've owned. Although all have eithet been rear locking Enfields or front locking sporting Mauser 98 actions.

Am I missing something?

Bandit Country

That's inspired Muir. No need to spend money on an expensive gizmo. ....

Am I missing something?
Yes it is. So why didn't you post that 5 years ago before I forked out for a Tipton cleaning set? :D

Missing something? Yep - a load of crud. The first time I cleaned my lug recesses I was amazed at the amount of gunge that was gummed up in there.

Muir

Sorry. I have a similar set up for cleaning threads of actions I'm rebarreling. I've had the locking lug brush made up for decades and never thought of it until I noticed the mention of a Sinclair tool and thought, "That can't be cheap...." ~Muir