Single abscessed lymph node?

Scapegoat

Lovely buck, seven points, acting perfectly normally. Not over-burdened with ticks, and in pretty good condition.
Liver clean, lungs fine, kidneys ok. Decent layer of caul fat, tongue, cheeks everything else clean. No signs of diarrhoea, balls in order.

However, there was one obviously swollen lymph node in the small intestines. About the size of an acorn, and full of cheesy pus. We immediately checked all the others and nothing else was out of the ordinary.

It’s going for home consumption as things stand, as otherwise it looked perfectly healthy. ......... unless someone screams that a single pus filled lymph node is anything other than a lymph node doing its job???

Buchan

Yes. Ish, sort of. I had one recently exactly as you described, made the same descision - situation normal. Had I been in TB central, I might have thought differently.

But it got me thinking and I still need to follow up, what makes a single LN become an abscess, especially in an older animal?

But don't cut in to them. The infective dose for TB is between one and five bacteria (inhaled).

Scapegoat

No, Scottish island, no TB fears, and lungs ere perfect. If anything he was in remarkable nick for a mature buck here.

RTreble

Had something similar last year. I sent photos away to BDS and got the thumbs up for being safe to enter the food chain.