Skintags

Rasputin

Spaniels had a small growth on this leg for a few months. Took him to the vets because I was worried it would get caught and rip off but due to covid they weren’t doing routine ops. However this last 24 hours it’s doubled in size and now has what look like potato tubers coming out of it.

Is that normal for a skin tag? Just trying to get him an appointment at the vets 🤬

Attachments

• ABBFAB02-C4C6-468A-87DC-2D70C22347F5.jpeg
    ABBFAB02-C4C6-468A-87DC-2D70C22347F5.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 119
  • EFC1EDAA-4D18-419E-883F-09505C13A257.jpeg
    EFC1EDAA-4D18-419E-883F-09505C13A257.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 119

Buchan

It looks like a warty thing (techical term). Not uncommon and benign, probably viral (papilloma virus). But an odd shape and odd that it has grown so quickly. As it's on the point of the hock any healing will be a pain, so removing when small would be wise.
If it was my dog, I'd monitor it but it's easy for me to say that (cobblers kids and all that!)

Rasputin

Don’t know who’s in more pain me or the dog!!! What a rip.

Attachments

• 22E1DCB0-72A1-4266-8929-F6AE2B509128.jpeg
    22E1DCB0-72A1-4266-8929-F6AE2B509128.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 154

Foxyboy43

Don’t know who’s in more pain me or the dog!!! What a rip.
It is only money. Hopefully you will have him/her for years to come and the bill will fade, especially after the next great retrieve!
Just think about the replacement cost right now!
🦊🦊

Rasputin

It is only money. Hopefully you will have him/her for years to come and the bill will fade, especially after the next great retrieve!
Just think about the replacement cost right now!
🦊🦊

What are these great retrieves you speak of 😂.

But you’re right it’s a drop in the ocean but bugger me I’m glad he’s insured.

Foxyboy43

Soooo true. I’ve been at the malt so memory slightly peat-tinted! Hope the dawg has a full recovery.
🦊🦊

Womphorn

Did you not get a report as to what it actually was or were they wanting another arm or a leg for a pathology report?

Rasputin

Did you not get a report as to what it actually was or were they wanting another arm or a leg for a pathology report?

They wanted another fortune for it. The vet said it looked fine so wouldn’t bother if I was you and it’s cleaned up nicely since then.

Womphorn

They wanted another fortune for it. The vet said it looked fine so wouldn’t bother if I was you and it’s cleaned up nicely since then.
These things look so bloody nasty but the majority of times times turn out to be fairly harmless. Glad the dog is OK.

Smelly Yeti

Obviously glad that the dog is ok Rasputin. Sadly though seems to be yet another example of elevated prices (£18+ for 0.6ml of Metacam!!) now being commonplace thanks to bloody pet insurance!! Won’t name the practice but when I questioned what I considered t be a ridiculous bill for a minor procedure on my own dog it was actually reduced when they found out that my dogs aren’t insured. Now don’t get me wrong…. I’m obviously not complaining about the saving but surely questions have to be asked about the ethics of the initial bill?? My folks have also had serious issues with their vet practice claiming money from their insurers for repeat meds that their elderly dog never even had! Only came to light when the insurers carried out a random audit & sent through a summary for my folks to confirm. Funnily enough when they complained to the practice…… ‘very sorry it must have been an admin error’!! Ever wondered why pet policies are now so expensive??

Rasputin

Obviously glad that the dog is ok Rasputin. Sadly though seems to be yet another example of elevated prices (£18+ for 0.6ml of Metacam!!) now being commonplace thanks to bloody pet insurance!! Won’t name the practice but when I questioned what I considered t be a ridiculous bill for a minor procedure on my own dog it was actually reduced when they found out that my dogs aren’t insured. Now don’t get me wrong…. I’m obviously not complaining about the saving but surely questions have to be asked about the ethics of the initial bill?? My folks have also had serious issues with their vet practice claiming money from their insurers for repeat meds that their elderly dog never even had! Only came to light when the insurers carried out a random audit & sent through a summary for my folks to confirm. Funnily enough when they complained to the practice…… ‘very sorry it must have been an admin error’!! Ever wondered why pet policies are now so expensive??

Yep they are shysters I explicitly told them he wasn’t insured prior to treatment. Suspect this is now a moot point for these vets they only seem to care about the money. The amount of folk roundhere with prescriptions for dogs with allergies is ridiculous each time they test send it off to a dermatologist then dietician etc it’s like a magic money fountain. Bloody egregious **** take if you ask me.

Foxyboy43

Yep they are shysters I explicitly told them he wasn’t insured prior to treatment. Suspect this is now a moot point for these vets they only seem to care about the money. The amount of folk roundhere with prescriptions for dogs with allergies is ridiculous each time they test send it off to a dermatologist then dietician etc it’s like a magic money fountain. Bloody egregious **** take if you ask me.
Hmm. Is this not just taking a leaf out of the car repair industry, dentists et al…..
🦊🦊

starr shot

Years gone by would of done that op myself but the law is the law 🤓
On a slight tangent I had a small skin tag and my partner said I know how to get rid of it.She tied a piece of cotton around it to make it drop off 4or5 days later it was the size of a small grape and not showing any sign of dropping off.

starr shot

My partner took one of our terriers to the vet with a “growth”told them no we don’t have insurance vet gave it a quick look and Removed the growth free of charge.Turned out to be a teasel .

Foxyboy43

Hmmm. The old advice was to tie a hair/piece of thread round it, presumably to cut off the blood supply whereupon it would wither, die and drop off. I know of no-one who has had any success with this but I do know a couple who had real problems as a result. The GP (remember them?) and a hot wire is the way to go. In the unlikely event of you ever getting an appointment of course......
🐺🐺