Skull onto a shield?

wildfowler.250

Whats the best way to attach skulls to a shield? I've tried using some kind of resin in the past? I was thinking about using a screw through the board and into the base of the skull?

These are for full skulls with the teeth. Appreciate any advice!

baguio

I sanded a block of wood until it just fitted in to the brain cavity. I then used car filler putty around the block to fix it in place. Screw through shield in to block of wood. Easy!

Ben1987

I screwed straight through the board into the skull. It was my first ever mount and I wanted it done. I did it by hand rather than with an electric whizzer so I didn't shatter the skull by over tightening.

jubnut

If it's full skull then what you suggest would work. Use a heavy screw and screw from the back of the shield into the thick bone on the bottom of the skull between the eyes. Just make sure you drill a pilot hole that is only a mm smaller in diameter than your screw in the bone and that is clearance in the shield. You can pull the skull so tight it will pull the teeth into the shield if you like, no need to be glueing wood in.

If it's a cut skull. In that case I would glue wood into the brain cavity and screw through from the back. I have used Epoxy, araldite and even Pvc glue and they all held. Pvc being dramatically cheaper.

sundog

I've used toggle bolts on a full skull and they make for a very secure fixing. Drill holes through the shield and the skull after getting it sitting the way you want it and carefully marking the position. Screw the bolt in and then using long nose pliers through the hole at the back of the skull to hold the toggle tighten it up. Job done:)

AN DU RU FOX

roe skulls one pack of five toggle bolts from bxq about £3x50p as above,i cant comment on other skulls or products to use on them,time will tell,;)

wildfowler.250

Thanks for the info! I've tried using a clamp like the one from jagersport before but didn't really have any success with it. how do you go about fixing it,(idiots guide)?

ChrisWill184

My dad just used a screw from the back into the base of the skull. Nothing fancy but can't see it.. Been on the wall for over 20 years now.

Tom_Ov

I could never make the clamps from the likes of Bushwear work terribly well.

Resin and a block of wood does work but takes a wee bit of time.

Plasterboard spring toggles - cheap, quick and an excellent job!!

stalker58

Thanks for the info! I've tried using a clamp like the one from jagersport before but didn't really have any success with it. how do you go about fixing it,(idiots guide)?
The teeth go against the shield...Just make sure the hole for the screw is where you want it!...put screw through shield so that it is just started in the clamp..teeth against shield..place clamp inside skull and tighten gently until you are happy its secure....Simples

Border

same here. Bloody thing wouldn't fit in the skull.
ended up drilling two countersunk angled holes and fixing with a tie wrap, full skull btw.