Slash & burn agriculture vs sustainable trophy hunting

CarlW

This is what happens to a few hundred acres when we fail to visit one of the more inaccessible parts of our area for a few weeks: from pristine wilderness to desert in less time than it takes to give a hippie a whipping. Imagine what the many millions of acres currently cared for by hunters in Mozambique alone would look like if we hunting outfitters decide to pack up and go home. You wouldn't find a dung beetle, never mind an elephant.

We need to stop being coy, ashamed and apologetic about who we are and what we do: we are hunters and we are the true conservationists on this planet.

Kind regards,

Carl

Slash_and_burn.jpg

Yorric

I agree Carl! It's the same in many parts of the globe unfortunately. Basic problems are excessive human population growth and greed.

Ian

Ray7756

To see this annoys me,, it must really pi** you guys of Big Time, how long will that lot take to recover, at least the ground cover ,,,trees are gone big time
Ray

CarlW

To see this annoys me,, it must really pi** you guys of Big Time, how long will that lot take to recover, at least the ground cover ,,,trees are gone big time
Ray
It's upsetting, isn't it? We've thrown the people out so they didn't have time to plant maize. The ground cover should come back over the next year or two. The smaller trees will recover in 20-30 years. The pod-mahoganys will take a few hundred years.