slight resistance on bolt

jimsim

After a bit of advice please guys I havent been reloading long but the rounds I have made have beenreally accurate now I have made a batch but when chambered the bolt has a little resistance on some of the rounds iv trimmed them all to 2035 for 243 just wondered if this is normal or not ?

bk

It could be your shoulders need bumping back slightly more or check your oal

see it shoot it

After a bit of advice please guys I havent been reloading long but the rounds I have made have beenreally accurate now I have made a batch but when chambered the bolt has a little resistance on some of the rounds iv trimmed them all to 2035 for 243 just wondered if this is normal or not ?
if full sizing you need to set your die up correctly,you can but head space gauges to measure the exact amount of shoulder movement.or you can do it the hard way and keep slightly adjusting your die until the case chambers in your rifle nicely.but beware you don't want to undersize the brass so little adjustments at a time.
if your neck sizing you will need to by a body die redding and fosters make these but again you will have to measure the amount your moving the brass
another thin g is to make sure your press is up to bumping the shoulder back a some presses don't cam over enough.

toad

hi jimsim are you using hornady dies .i have had the very same problem a couple of days ago

jimsim

Thankyou mate I screw the f/l sizer die in untill it touches the shell holder then ease the die out half a turn prehaps its not quite sizing them correctly thanks for the advice
Regards jim

Jagged77

talking about sholders needing bumping back is that your missis on your screen
Shay Laren ;) (I only know because the same question was asked on snipers hide many times....!)

Jimsim, take your current die setting and then screw in 1/4 turn then try and chamber the brass, repeat until brass chambers. It is normal to have some cam over on most presses. Make sure brass is lubricated properly too. If you end up up having to use a lot of force and the brass still won't chamber stop immediately, something else is up.

jcampbellsmith

... take your current die setting and then screw in 1/4 turn then try and chamber the brass, repeat until brass chambers..
I think you are being a bit cavalier here. A 1/4 turn moves the die about 18 thou. A whole turn moves the die about 72 thou. Given the idea is only to bump the shoulder of the fired case back 2-3 thou, you need to turn the die in much smaller increments. I sometimes paint a mark on the die/lock ring and then loosen the lock ring and move the die fractionally in until the desired effect is achieved.

Regards JCS

PeterH

Yes, it probably is something to do with the die setup, however, also bear in mind that if your primers are not seated below the level of the headstamp, this could also cause your symptoms

bewsher500

stupid question but does the bolt have any resistance without a round chambered? (just checking)

how long are you rounds? are the bullets marked (by the lands)when you remove them?

​where in the bolt stroke is the resistance? at the beginning or near the end?

jimsim

stupid question but does the bolt have any resistance without a round chambered? (just checking)

how long are you rounds? are the bullets marked (by the lands)when you remove them?

​where in the bolt stroke is the resistance? at the beginning or near the end?
Hi mate overall length is 2680 for nosler 90 g .243 , theres not marks on the bullet tips either , the bolt just has a bit or resestance when pushing it down it s fine when there s no round chambered
Regards jim

jimsim

Thankyou for everyone whos tried to help me out im sorted now the die setup was the problem just loaded some more round s and there all chambering well no tighness or sticky bolt thanks again

jcampbellsmith

Thankyou for everyone whos tried to help me out im sorted now the die setup was the problem just loaded some more round s and there all chambering well no tighness or sticky bolt thanks again
That's good to hear. Once you've fired this fresh loading, check that the primers aren't backing out of the primer pockets. Regards JCS