Slippery Bob wtf? YUK! You Poms started it ha ha.

John Gryphon

[h=2]19th-century Aussie fare[/h]
  • Slippery Bob: Take kangaroo brains and mix with flour and water and make into batter; season with salt and pepper then pour a tablespoonful at a time into an iron pot containing emu fat. Take them out when well done. — "Bush fare requiring a good appetite and excellent digestion."
  • Pan jam: Roast kangaroo tails in the ashes with the skin on; when nearly done, scrape them well and divide at the joints. Put them in a pan with a few slices of fat bacon, to which add a few mushrooms, pepper, etc. Fry gently and serve. — "First-rate tack."
  • Roast wombat: This animal feeds on grass and roots and its flesh is eaten roasted; some persons like its flavour, others again decry it. It is also cooked in steaks. Native porcupines are cooked in a like way.

What did Sydneys early settlers eat? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

bluesako

i,d sooner eat that matey, than some of the ***** they sell over here in supermarkets, john my mouths watering dave.

tarponhead

I saw an Emu in a field alongside the M25 driving to work last week. if only I'd known...

There are a few escaped wallabies in the South east, so I'll know what to do if i see one.

Must have been hungry settlers, John, although is Kangaroo tail anything like oxtail? Reckon that would be good for all sorts of pies.

John Gryphon

I saw an Emu in a field alongside the M25 driving to work last week. if only I'd known...

There are a few escaped wallabies in the South east, so I'll know what to do if i see one.

Must have been hungry settlers, John, although is Kangaroo tail anything like oxtail? Reckon that would be good for all sorts of pies.

Had braised roo tail served up as a kid,it was bloody good as oxtail too.

enfieldspares

I've eaten brains for fifty years John. At one time sheep and pigs brains. Sheep have been very much off the menu since the scrapie concerns and you'll not ever see them. So pig brains only now. Here you have to ask but in France the very large supermarkets sell them ready packed two to a packet. I flour and fry them.

If you want testicles it's, for me, a couple of stops up Metro 13 to St. Denis on a Sunday to the market there. Which despite yesterday's laughable and much of it like something from a Fox News script article in my friend's Daily Mail is, whilst dilapidated like most areas that lost their industries are, perfectly safe to be.

Last edited:

Finch

I've heard many country folk say that back here in the UK when they were kids in the pre-myxy days just after the war, when rabbit was about the only meat a lot of people could afford, rabbit brains were considered a delicacy and at Sunday lunchtime the kids would fight to get the head. A pretty small morsel but it makes sense to give it to the kids. The brains and the red offal are the most nutritious parts of a rabbit.
Unfortunately my rabbits rarely have any brains left..

I've eaten roo steaks many times but I find it rather rich. Can't eat much of it. Emu was good but could be very dry. I liked crocodile.

Last edited:

John Gryphon

Richard I eat lamb brains when I can get them,love them! But roo`s for me after gutting so many in my time and finding so many infested with worms sort of puts me off eating their brains..its all in the mind I`m sure.
Floured or crumbed ,yum!
I ate a sambar calf liver yesterday,flour dredged and fried in O/oil on a thick buttered sanga or two,bloody delish!

SamHuntVic

If you have the chance at a wallaby then go for it.
Treat it the same as venison, the backstraps and tenderloins are great.
Grant.

John Gryphon

If you have the chance at a wallaby then go for it.
Treat it the same as venison, the backstraps and tenderloins are great.
Grant.
You ate a different Wallaby to me then, mine (black swamp wallaby) was crossed with a fkn polecat

The Tassy rats are pretty good though,they even serve them up in patties in some of the Tassy pubs.

kamyonsofor

Jeez Jon I am just doing roast pork loins in honey an' mustard with cauli and brussels just told my wife what you've been eating and in her best English "aint they got Mc Donalds near 'im " how quaint us Brits are .One thing after all your tucker is the air filled with flatulence like "Blazing Saddles"atb Mel.

John Gryphon

Jeez Jon I am just doing roast pork loins in honey an' mustard with cauli and brussels just told my wife what you've been eating and in her best English "aint they got Mc Donalds near 'im " how quaint us Brits are .One thing after all your tucker is the air filled with flatulence like "Blazing Saddles"atb Mel.

I confess that I licked my lips at the thought of the pork as described above.

kamyonsofor

Well John you could of had some mrs did not feel to good and did not eat hers so I cut it up and fed it to my garden hedgehogs with a side plate of peanuts ,they must of like it as all gone this morning and I reckon a lot of farting in the hedge last night.Mel

willowbank

Well John you could of had some mrs did not feel to good and did not eat hers so I cut it up and fed it to my garden hedgehogs with a side plate of peanuts ,they must of like it as all gone this morning and I reckon a lot of farting in the hedge last night.Mel

Your mad, the lot of you..... makes for some entertaining reading though lol and took my mind off the phantom limb pain for a few minutes for which I’m grateful.

ATB Willowbank