Slow cookers

private fraser

I've not had one for years but am again thinking it's a good idea...if I can claim space in the family kitchen.
Just wondering if many people use one and with what degree of success?.

This one looks a good deal, should be enough for a whole haunch of roe or a whole chicken etc...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tricity-55l-slow-cooker/272-7303.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=272-7303

The downside of course is that it would need a damn big cupboard to store it in.

mereside

we use ours all the time whole pigeon casseroles,legs of venison, hare you name we do it i would not be without ours,atb wayne

weeman

Awesome kitchen appliances are slow cookers, how ever I prefer the older versions like croc pot as I find some of today's versions seem too cook a little to fast.

private fraser

I've got that one, it's brilliant.

Looks like I will be stopping off at Tesco's on the way home.

David, I was at the sausage making demo you did for the bds..brilliant.
Would you mind giving a few tips re the cooker pse?
Best cut of venison to use and maybe recipe / cooking times.
Thanks.

weeman

Looks like I will be stopping off at Tesco's on the way home.

David, I was at the sausage making demo you did for the bds..brilliant.
Would you mind giving a few tips re the cooker pse?
Best cut of venison to use and maybe recipe / cooking times.
Thanks.
On the low settings, I prefer to use shoulder or the braising/brisket cut into diced cover with stock, salt, pepper oxo cube, glass of red wine or stout depending what you prefer. Lovely to do during the winter mornings then when I arrive home all cooked and smells gorgeous, goulash cooked and side servings of pickled cabbage etc.. Followed by a bloomer loaf

david1976

Like weeman, I prefer to use the low setting and put the venison on for about 8 or 9 hours.
I use diced shoulder, diced haunch, shin (the silvery gray coating dissolves away) and also whole shanks on the bone.
I have tried using curry sauces, casserole mixes and home made efforts and they have all been nice.
Make sure and briefly brown the meat and warm through any veg before putting it in and if you want a thicker sauce, put the meat into a plastic bag of flour, give it a good shake and then knock of excess flour and brown.

kennyc

slow cook the neck for 8 hours, take out the bones, let it cool,scrape off the fat etc where it rises to the top, then put it in a pie mmmmmmm

geordieh

I love mine too I have the same one and I have a double pot one
4 duck breasts, I tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 onions chopped up, 1 jar of hoisin plum sauce, garlic optional or replace duck with venison
Brown off the breasts and chuck everything in slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low

perdix

Another vote in favour.
Great tool for loading up before going for a days beating/stalking etc to come back to and have a warm meal.
Made proper corned beef in mine after watching it made on the goggle box and that was cracking but anything like sausage casserole or stew is worth doing.

sauer

Very versatile and can make a cook out of anyone.

i brown the meat & throw in to slow cooker with onions veg & tatties , stock, splash o wine
go to work or beating etc all day.

come home plate up and relax

brilliant sausage casseroles in em !!

​paul

private fraser

First time out with the Tesco slow cooker.
Whole shoulder of roe, 6 whole carrots, 4 onions halved and a bit of stock.
Eight hours later, meat is falling off the bone and is nice and moist and veg is perfect, not mushy.
A great meal for four or two twice.
£19.50 well spent.

ps... it's had to go back in the box and into the garage as it's a monster and no kitchen cupboard would take it. Nothing's perfect.

david1976

They are great little things (or big in this case), well worth investing in. I'll be doing venison shanks this week in mine, i'm hoping the marrow will add a good bit of flavour to it.

dodgyrog

I have just (within the last hour) put on a Muntjac chilli. Everything fresh except the canned tomatoes. The slow cooker is an ideal tool for cooking stuff when you can't be around to keep checking or stirring stuff.
The chilli will be left to cool tomorrow and then put in the fridge to 'mature' for 3 days. Lovely grub.

Pedro

I think they're brilliant. Most meat benefits, especially venison, beef and lamb. You can follow recipes, but it's also ideal to scour the bottom of the 'fridge for lurking carrots, other root veg, onions, garlic and anything else not used last Sunday. It's also a good idea to have a ferret in the spice cupboard (read that again, I didn't mean a long, low animal, unless there's a warren in there), so long as you know roughly what each spice does. I use mine often. It always turns out good, sometimes great, which is when I wish I'd remembered what went in to it.

smorland

Great for making stock as well, couple of chicken carcasses (or bones), stock veg, top off with water, low for as long as you can wait.

Bottle it up and freeze it.

Don't try doing it over night as you'll dream of food all night and wake up starving.

griffshrek

Wife uses the slow cooker I prefere the croc pot in the oven I think it give a better flovour , we use ours for all the traditional recipies for game , but try doing curries in them .....outstanding

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Brilliant things... I'm crap at cooking and if I can use one then anyone can!

WP_000462.jpg Sika Venison Stew 001 (Large).JPG

UK Outfitters