Smart meters MMMM not that bright

tozzybum

Well the official report on the news is out,dont work in some houses .Only save an average £11 a year and go dumb in some areas so dont "talk " to the energy companies computers.And the project is over budget unusual for the goverment run projects NOT.
Dated tech which is obsolete so the smart meter company spokesman is nearly in tears trying to refute the claims and insisting we all fit 1 now.
Modern AA rated tech means theyre pointless alledgedly and dont do all that is claimed by HMG ,who spluttered a bit and said not true ,so believe who you will but they look a waste of space if you turn things off and dont use standbye buttons .

supersport

we are all paying for smart meters and then they have the cheek to tell you it's free liars dont want one wont have one.SS

Yorric

My current supplier (SSE) offered to fit a "smart" meter for me. I asked if the "smart" function would be able to migrate properly if I change suppliers. The answer was "probably not" as the meters have suppliers' own software in them.
Future meters may be universal was the comment that followed. I replied contact me when "universally smart meters are available.
I declined the offer to have one of their meters fitted & remain with my existing meter.
I think my own "smart" brain can tell me when to switch a light off anyway, so I'll be bu**ered if I am going to let SSE screw about with my wires just to improve their profitability.

Ian

mealiejimmy

Smart meters were not designed to help you reduce your energy consumption. Their primary purpose is to reduce the power companies costs by not having to pay for someone to come round and read your gas and electricity meters.

Cheers

Bruce

oowee

Smart meters were not designed to help you reduce your energy consumption. Their primary purpose is to reduce the power companies costs by not having to pay for someone to come round and read your gas and electricity meters.

Cheers

Bruce
Primary purpose is to assist smart grid role out trials. Particularly smart tariff.

Red Dragon 2

My Meter has not been read by a man in a van for over three years, always do it myself when the estimate comes in, estimate is always a lot higher than the amount actually used.
A smart meter won't work as we are too far from the receiver !!!

What ever their purpose - they are not there to help us

Until the meter automatically tracks the cheapest tariff, then recommends and enables a change they can stick it where the sun don't shine

tozzybum

Well said gents and Yorric nail n head biggest complaint smart energy provider use only no transfers or moving .RD2 2nd biggest complaint carp WIFI no broadband as much use as a chocolate fireguard yet another great idea brought to you by your every loving goverment u know the ones with the only bar in Britain where u can smoke and eat a very subsidised steak n chips

deeangeo

My current supplier (SSE) offered to fit a "smart" meter for me. I asked if the "smart" function would be able to migrate properly if I change suppliers. The answer was "probably not" as the meters have suppliers' own software in them.
Future meters may be universal was the comment that followed. I replied contact me when "universally smart meters are available.
I declined the offer to have one of their meters fitted & remain with my existing meter.
I think my own "smart" brain can tell me when to switch a light off anyway, so I'll be bu**ered if I am going to let SSE screw about with my wires just to improve their profitability.Ian

Yup, exactly my views.

Highlandsjohn

I think my own "smart" brain can tell me when to switch a light off anyway, so I'll be bu**ered if I am going to let SSE screw about with my wires just to improve their profitability.

Ian

Ha ha, nice one Ian.

Old-YOP

Smart meters were not designed to help you reduce your energy consumption. Their primary purpose is to reduce the power companies costs by not having to pay for someone to come round and read your gas and electricity meters

And ... if you're struggling to find the rent and having to survive on bags of chips ... those nice power company people can use your smart meter to remotely switch you off if you are a day or two late paying for 'Leccy' .