Smart meters

willowbank

Talking about smart meters heres one for you....
Had an email from EDF advising me that they are now ready to fit my smart meter, that I had not asked for, and should I not proceed they would be ending my fixed price contract (until 2022) and placing me on a standard (more expensive) tariff.
What is the collective view on this??

Willowbank

Sampo

Talking about smart meters heres one for you....
Had an email from EDF advising me that they are now ready to fit my smart meter, that I had not asked for, and should I not proceed they would be ending my fixed price contract (until 2022) and placing me on a standard (more expensive) tariff.
What is the collective view on this??

Willowbank
Most energy providers add 'fitting a smart meter' to the fine print but the current law says that one could refuse to get one installed. There is no legal basis as far as I know of to push/ threaten one to have one fitted. If they call you to threaten that they would put you on a standard tariff, tell them that you will simply switch to a different provider. Utility companies hate to lose a customer, so there's a chance they would just stop bothering you and let you keep the current tariff.

Also one thing I recently found out was it was cheaper to switch to separate providers, one for electricty and one for gas as opposed to dual fuel.

Pedro

I got one. The only difference I've noticed is that you don't have to have your meter read any more. It does it "elecriconally". You can sit and watch it when you put the kettle on and so on if you want, but the novelty of that soon wears off.

Wapinschaw

What is the point of a smart meter? I passed O level Physics more than 50 years ago, but I don't think the laws of physics have changed much since then. To boil a kettle, roast a chicken in my electric oven or use my electric shower uses electrical energy, which must be paid for by me. No problem there. So why do I need a supplementary device which I must pay for and which may not work in my corner of Aberdeenshire, to tell me I have used electricity?

Sampo

What is the point of a smart meter? I passed O level Physics more than 50 years ago, but I don't think the laws of physics have changed much since then. To boil a kettle, roast a chicken in my electric oven or use my electric shower uses electrical energy, which must be paid for by me. No problem there. So why do I need a supplementary device which I must pay for and which may not work in my corner of Aberdeenshire, to tell me I have used electricity?
So that government can turn off high energy consuming devices when the load on the national grid is high, thereby reducing the cost of electricity bought from countries like France at a premium when consumption is high. It is future proofing for whatever new policy they come up with as opposed to benefiting the consumer. At least thats what I have learnt.

tozzybum

Been telling Sse no for 3 years now.No wish to be tied to them as their meter isn't "suitable " for any other companies usage "????

Fadcode

Tell them you will rent them the space to house it in your home, if they wont pay, put it in the garden.
If the use the installation as a condition to supply you, get on to the Ombudsman.

aris

So that government can turn off high energy consuming devices when the load on the national grid is high, thereby reducing the cost of electricity bought from countries like France at a premium when consumption is high. It is future proofing for whatever new policy they come up with as opposed to benefiting the consumer. At least thats what I have learnt.
Not sure if a smart meter can do this unless it is a smart consumer unit too.

The Singing Stalker

I always ask them how it will benefit me. Specifically how will having one improve my electricity consumption? As said, if I want a cup of tea I need to boil the kettle unless I decide I want to make tea from cold water…..
they can’t tell me. Mind you I have done a meter reading here every month since we moved in and I monitor the results and it makes sod all difference. But if I use the electric chainsaw my consumption goes up, who knew!!

Sampo

Not sure if a smart meter can do this unless it is a smart consumer unit too.
Believe they can remotely throttle the amount of wattage used and say if its set to 3kw, it may prevent large room heaters, smart car chargers, electric showers etc from operating whenever there's a peak consumption on the grid. Will claim it under some 'go green' initiative.

cjm1066

Got a cheaper deal having one fitted. It lives in the utility cupboard so is never seen.
Saves having to read the meter.
Are they value for money for the UK, I suspect not.

TomT3

In my opinion the point is being missed by most, the main reason is to eradicate unscrupulous types bypassing the meter. The meters are anti tamper so if somebody opens theirs up a signal will be sent to the supplier. It is a monitored system so once electricity stops being used suspicion is raised. It also stops people:
A Not letting the meter reader in,
B Giving duff meter readings.

Just because you can see that your kettle costs more money than your LED light bulb doesn’t stop you from making tea, that’s the marketing angle. One of the real reasons is above.

Last edited: