Smartwatch

Woodsmoke

Anyone use one? I've been offered one through my phone provider at what appear to be decent terms, and I'm wondering if I should take them up on it (it's a galaxy 3, or something) What do they actually do for you? :-|

Lots of guys at work have them, seem to tell your pulse rate, and means you can answer a call and talk to your wrist rather than taking your phone out of your pocket.
they also seem to see they have received a message, then take there phone out of there pocket and look at the message.
I don't see any advantage, and there for don't have one.

I use an iWatch.

I use it to pay contactless (no need to get card out.)
Warm up or cool down car in advance of getting in.
Monitor/record activity
Unlock/approve security requests from work
Do an ECG if I get palpitations (not needed that yet, though my Dad did)
Answer calls
Get security alerts from the cameras at home, complete with snapshot of the "perp"
Answer/acknowledge texts
Check weather
Navigate (haptics/audio/visual and compass, What 3 words, Google maps/Apple maps)
Record memos
Check diary/calendar
Access and control home hub
Access Siri
Store and listen to music
Control music I'm listening to on other devices

And... it links to Strelok Pro to show drop and drift for multiple targets and gives a reticle view to show holdover and hold-off

They tell a lot more to the various providers (social media/ watch manufacturer/ websites etc) than what they tell you. I tend to stay away from anything that starts with smart---- phone/ watch/ car/ meter/ home where possible although I don't have an option with the phone which has been heavily configured to disable all tracking features.

I use an iWatch.

I use it to pay contactless (no need to get card out.)
Warm up or cool down car in advance of getting in.
Monitor/record activity
Unlock/approve security requests from work
Do an ECG if I get palpitations (not needed that yet, though my Dad did)
Answer calls
Get security alerts from the cameras at home, complete with snapshot of the "perp"
Answer/acknowledge texts
Check weather
Navigate (haptics/audio/visual and compass, What 3 words, Google maps/Apple maps)
Record memos
Check diary/calendar
Access and control home hub
Access Siri
Store and listen to music
Control music I'm listening to on other devices

And... it links to Strelok Pro to show drop and drift for multiple targets and gives a reticle view to show holdover and hold-off

What model do you recommend?

I think they are a great idea…been thinking about getting one as they are more convenient than pulling a phone out of a pocket every time you need something….it’s also like star trek speaking to your wrist! 🤩

Of course…they also tell the time!

what’s not to like?

regards,
Gixer

What model do you recommend?
My only experience has been with various Apple watches. Currently use a 44mm aluminium case 5.

The earlier watches didn't have GPS and weren't waterproof. Once those boxes were ticked, other improvements were rather marginal.

The 5 has an "always on" display, which I prefer to the movement activated earlier models.

It doesn't have pulse oximetry and some other features of the newer model.

I'm happy with basic rubber straps, too. I have some others (gift/hand-me-downs) but haven't tried them yet.

Biggest downside of smart watches is the need to charge. I just put mine on it's wireless stand each night and it becomes my bedside clock. This might not work for everyone, especially those who don't take their watch off. Battery life is about 2 days, depending on use (older models, a bit less.)

I would agree with pretty much all of the above. By no means are they a necessity and indeed are pretty pricy. But if you want to gauge how much exercise you are doing and set goals, that your heart isn't going to explode, want to use it to receive/send messages, answer the phone with it (but not the same quality as your phone), press it to make your phone bleep if you can't remember where you have put it down (by far the most useful thing), or much more (some a bit gimmicky, but depends what you want) then it could be for you. Oh, they tell the time too.

Another gadget that is marketed to make us think we need it.
Made for people to rely on technology and keep them buying, making companies richer.
So how many charge cycles can the battery take before it gives up the ghost and you “need” to buy a new one.
Weather - I check the forecast the day before and look at the sky in the morning, enough info there.
I’ve got sausage fingers so unless the buttons are big I struggle (even on an iPhone)
Time, I use my dad’s old analogue watch which my mum gave him on their wedding day 64yrs ago but which he passed on to me before his passing!
Drive a Disco so no options there.

We have become a country fixated with gadgets - good or bad!

Another gadget that is marketed to make us think we need it.
Made for people to rely on technology and keep them buying, making companies richer.
So how many charge cycles can the battery take before it gives up the ghost and you “need” to buy a new one.
Weather - I check the forecast the day before and look at the sky in the morning, enough info there.
I’ve got sausage fingers so unless the buttons are big I struggle (even on an iPhone)
Time, I use my dad’s old analogue watch which my mum gave him on their wedding day 64yrs ago but which he passed on to me before his passing!
Drive a Disco so no options there.

We have become a country fixated with gadgets - good or bad!
Just about everything you mention above was a step forward at one time, How long before your Disco gives up the ghost or your watch, What do you watch the weather on, I take it it's a TV or Radio.
Times move on good or bad, I'm no spring chicken anymore and the younger generation will rely on this step forward it's just technology moving on.
I have an apple watch 5 and it's great, I set myself exercise goals so gives me a bit of kick in the arse to get motivated, I set competitions up with the wife and kids, I'm not really bothered who is tracking me as I'm not doing anything wrong so there's no issue there.

Current crop are ok but not really that useful above how, making calls and seeing messages However the wearable tech space is booming and some of the new stuff that will be coming out over the next 12 months will be amazing. Personally I wouldn’t bother right now and would get one in a few months. For my money only Apple really make one that’s useful in every facet of life. Garmin et al make good watches but they lack the connectivity of Apple.

Bought one for my mum and she loves it the missus has one and it sits in a draw. I think you either like them or loathe them.

I use a garmin instinct tactical which you can't talk into though not sure why you would want to but cab answer calls and messages etc alongside the fitness tracking/sleep tracking and also waypoint setting for going out and about.

Loads of features some are useful for me some aren't. My main point for getting this one was that it's military grade so I'm not to worried about knocking it vs some of the others

Lots of different opinions on them then?

I think on balance I'll go ahead and get one then. We use an app' to log our horse riding activities and monitor our training. My wife uses her watch to record hers, and mine is logged on my phone. Her results are consistently more accurate than mine, plus she doesn't need to find a pocket for her phone every time. Be worth it just for that alone, I reckon :thumb:

Back