Smidge.

finnbear270

Been out in the torrential stuff today,without firearms, very muggy, loads of the flying teeth about, specially in the crop margins & wooded areas, No fresh applications of Smidge, Mrs Finnbear, Nil bites, Mr Finnbear Nil bites, seems Smidge may also have a half life (even after a good shower) ... I am very impressed so far, when a cloud of midgies (Farm ones) will not approach closer than two inches & without head net too.

foxinmad

I was out stalking last night for a few hours, remembered everything I thought! sticks, bins, rifle, ammo, knife, etc left the Smidge at home :doh:
No wind at all and muggy, did I suffer yes big time with midges and cleggs. Note to self leave the Smidge in the truck.

vitalspark

Been out in the torrential stuff today,without firearms, very muggy, loads of the flying teeth about, specially in the crop margins & wooded areas, No fresh applications of Smidge, Mrs Finnbear, Nil bites, Mr Finnbear Nil bites, seems Smidge may also have a half life (even after a good shower) ... I am very impressed so far, when a cloud of midgies (Farm ones) will not approach closer than two inches & without head net too.
Pretty sure it was good for eight hours and waterproof, up to a point. I'm on the Isle of Lewis and can't remember when I last had a midge bite.

vitalspark

Does it work on horse flys? Got bit to f**k last night
Maybe up to to a point as it masks you scent. Unfortunately they also go for movement and body heat. Wearing dark colours ain't a good idea either. At this time of year we cover our horses in zebra fly rugs as this apparently makes it harder for the flies to find them. Time to get some zebra camo?

dartmoordog

If you find yourself out without your choice of repellent, just crush up some Doc leaves and use the liquid. You will need to shower when you get home though!

An old trick given to my Water Bailiff predecessor.

caorach

Pretty sure it was good for eight hours and waterproof, up to a point. I'm on the Isle of Lewis and can't remember when I last had a midge bite.
Yip, plus it doesn't melt your car, rifle, fly rod, or wife!

One thing that I discovered on this forum is that the same active ingredient is available in large bottles for horses. I've not given this a good test yet as I've not had any bad midgie conditions but it has certainly worked in the very moderate conditions I've experienced this year. Smidge claims to be waterproof so that might give it an advantage, but the horse stuff has no added smelly things and I find it doesn't sting my eyes etc. when I sweat whereas Smidge does:

Just be sure to shake the horse stuff before using it as the active bits sink to the bottom.

finnbear270

Yip, plus it doesn't melt your car, rifle, fly rod, or wife!

One thing that I discovered on this forum is that the same active ingredient is available in large bottles for horses. I've not given this a good test yet as I've not had any bad midgie conditions but it has certainly worked in the very moderate conditions I've experienced this year. Smidge claims to be waterproof so that might give it an advantage, but the horse stuff has no added smelly things and I find it doesn't sting my eyes etc. when I sweat whereas Smidge does:

Just be sure to shake the horse stuff before using it as the active bits sink to the bottom.
Hedgewitch (Icaridin) is about the same I find, great stuff, the car door pockets look like a chemists shop at the mo', Think Smidge is Pi Caridin?

caorach

Hedgewitch (Icaridin) is about the same I find, great stuff, the car door pockets look like a chemists shop at the mo', Think Smidge is Pi Caridin?
They are all the same stuff! It has about 10 names, I think it was invented by Bayer and was initially called Bayrepel or something, also known as Saltidin and it probably has a chemical name as well :)

For a laugh I just looked up wikipedia, now it isn't necessarily a reliable source as I know someone who writes stuff on it and who may be the most stupid person on earth, he is so thick that he doesn't realize he is thick which is always a dangerous place to be, However Wikipedia lists the following chemical names:

• 1-(1-Methylpropoxycarbonyl)-2-(2-hydroxyethyl)piperidine
  • 2-(2-Hydroxyethyl)-1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 1-methylpropyl ester
  • KBR 3023
  • Hydroxyethyl isobutyl piperidine carboxylate
  • sec-Butyl 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)piperidine-1-carboxylate
Who was it said "that's what I like about standards: there's so many to choose from."

Mach IV

Caroach is correct the chemical has various names.
KBR3023 was the number name it was given in the development stage.
Saltadin is the brand name used by Bayer.
Picaridin and icaridin are the generic names.
Europe tends to refer to it as icaridin and the Yanks tend to call it picaridin.
It is the same stuff.