So, how many calibres do you load for?

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I got curious as to how many different calibres you currently load for. I know people that own. use and reload for only one rifle and have used the same load for years never changing anything. I also have a friend, and American, who has so many guns he does not know what he has got, but it is dozens.

Me, I load for four calibres, 22 Hornet, .222, .243 and 6.5X55.

What do you do?

John

Well I load all my own, starting with 243, 25.06 (the round :lol: ) 270, 303, 375H&H. Plus I have a 357 handgun, but I do not load for this, its not worth the cost for the few rounds I use.

I mostly use Hodgons powder, and Speer bullets. Apart from the 375H&H and in this I use mostly Federal heads.

reloading

i load

.223 with norma bullets and N140 (last time)
.243 win hornady bullets and OLD nobel powders (will go to re19 when it is gone)
7mm08 with speer bullets and re19
.30-06 sprg with speer bullets and re19

The .243 will be goinig on loan to my cousin soon. when it comes back i expect i will load it with 70 or 80 grain bullets for foxing. with the 7mm and the '06 i find it very dificult to see when i will next use the 243 for deer.

swampy

i reload 222 50 grain nosler heads on vit powder
22 250 with 60 grain heads also on vit powder
243 with eley powder 100 grain hornady btsp heads will be using 4831 or reloader 22 as like mines ran out as yours has
25 06 100 grain heads hornady spire pionts vit powder
270 130 grain hornady spire points vit powder
308 150 grain hornady spire points vit powder
i always use hornady heads as i get the results i expect from them i like the interlock heads as these dont break up and i usualy get an exit hole this makes finding them easier if they run off after the strike blood trails are usualy quite good I use vihtavuori as this comes in kilo pots and i load 200 at a time and in my lyman 1200 auto scale this makes life easier for me

22-250
Always use Hogdon powder and federal primers
Bullets are Hornady, Sierra and Winchester but have been known to use the odd Speer.

i used to load
17 centre fire for a friend
300win mag ( rifle now sold)
but now load
243 reloader 22 +100 grain hornaday btsp
30-06 varget 180 nosler solid base sp
375 HH varget speer 235 +285 heads and hornaday 300 grain solids
just starting to look into shotgun reloading

i feel very inferior and less masculine to all that posted with their multitude of big calibers and rifles, i only reload for my one little girly .243.

i use 75gr Vmax for fox and vermin and 85-90gr bonded bullets for the deer all powered by Varget powder .........neil

"Beware the man that only shoots one gun"

Don't feel inferior the rest of us just can't settle on one :D :D

John

thanks morena i dont feel so bad now :lol:

JAYB a question for yourself and others who have a multitude of rifles ,is this so when you get ready for the days shooting your rifle will accessorize with what you are wearing.
ie for instance this time of year you will be wearing your drad brown waterproof clothing so you need your CZ .270 with the walnut stock stock and brown leather sling to match to make the complete out

or in high summer you use lightweight realtree clothing so need to accessorize with a 6.5x55 sako 85 with matching synthic stock and mod cover even camo flip up scope covers.

perhaps if going stalking with others will you like my wife when she goes out in a group. they ring each other up to see what everbody is wearing so you dont clash.then go out and buy somthing new just in case

example
MIKE -"hi dave fancy a day on the sika stags tomorrow"
DAVE-"who's going mike "
MIKE-"me you and tom
DAVE-"oh im not sure mike i've got nothing to shoot with, i cant use the same rifle i used last time i was out with tom , i cant use the same rifle twice also it clashed with tom's gun
MIKE-"you will be ok dave no one will notice"
DAVE-"its ok for you mike you have a gunsafe full of custom bla bla bla rifles so you wont clash with anybody. i will ring you back in a couple of hours after i've been down the gun shop to see if they have anything new in.

THERE IS NOW A MAD 4 HRS OF GOING THROUGH THE GUN CABINETS , SHOUTING AT WIFE ABOUT NOTHING TO SHOOT WITH THEN DASH TO SHOPS TO BUY SOMETHING NEW.ITS THEN A FASHION PARADE IN THE HOUSE ASKING DOES THE NEW RIFLE MAKE ME LOOK FAT HOLDING IT AT FUNNY JAUNTY ANGLES.

to stop all this problem i have found a fantastic site www.claires.co.uk now this will save you a fortune with buying new all the time you just accessorize you clothing and your rifle to match that what i do.

for example i have a few strips of cammo scrim netting i tie a few pieces to the rifle then add a few acents of the same cloth to my belt pehaps around your arm or even a shawl --hey presto i am fully accessorized.

i am looking forward to the replies ........neil

thanks morena i dont feel so bad now :lol:

JAYB a question for yourself and others who have a multitude of rifles ,is this so when you get ready for the days shooting your rifle will accessorize with what you are wearing.
ie for instance this time of year you will be wearing your drad brown waterproof clothing so you need your CZ .270 with the walnut stock stock and brown leather sling to match to make the complete out

or in high summer you use lightweight realtree clothing so need to accessorize with a 6.5x55 sako 85 with matching synthic stock and mod cover even camo flip up scope covers.

perhaps if going stalking with others will you like my wife when she goes out in a group. they ring each other up to see what everbody is wearing so you dont clash.then go out and buy somthing new just in case

example
MIKE -"hi dave fancy a day on the sika stags tomorrow"
DAVE-"who's going mike "
MIKE-"me you and tom
DAVE-"oh im not sure mike i've got nothing to shoot with, i cant use the same rifle i used last time i was out with tom , i cant use the same rifle twice also it clashed with tom's gun
MIKE-"you will be ok dave no one will notice"
DAVE-"its ok for you mike you have a gunsafe full of custom bla bla bla rifles so you wont clash with anybody. i will ring you back in a couple of hours after i've been down the gun shop to see if they have anything new in.

THERE IS NOW A MAD 4 HRS OF GOING THROUGH THE GUN CABINETS , SHOUTING AT WIFE ABOUT NOTHING TO SHOOT WITH THEN DASH TO SHOPS TO BUY SOMETHING NEW.ITS THEN A FASHION PARADE IN THE HOUSE ASKING DOES THE NEW RIFLE MAKE ME LOOK FAT HOLDING IT AT FUNNY JAUNTY ANGLES.

to stop all this problem i have found a fantastic site www.claires.co.uk now this will save you a fortune with buying new all the time you just accessorize you clothing and your rifle to match that what i do.

for example i have a few strips of cammo scrim netting i tie a few pieces to the rifle then add a few acents of the same cloth to my belt pehaps around your arm or even a shawl --hey presto i am fully accessorized.

i am looking forward to the replies ........neil

Neil, I have never given this a thought before, it's just been take a rifle and go, never a thought for any one else. You have made me feel real bad about myself.

After a bit of thought, I think I shall stick to the "little black dress" mentality. So I have decided to stick with a brown wooden stock, this way it is quite acceptable, always fashionable and never clashes with any other rifle. As far as optics are concerned I have a fixed power, 6X42, which I shall use when in the company of others The S&B markings are quite unobtrusive and will cause no offence. I must admit to having variables on the other of my rifles but I shall be judicious in where I take them, and maybe I might borrow your accessorising idea to disguise them and make them unobtrusive.

With regard to clothing well, I try to ring the changes between cammo and tweed, both acceptable and not really meant to spur the competitive design syndrome in anybody. Footwear will be brown leather boot of varying length again completely non confrontational. As to whether or not I look fat or odd in any of my outfits with whatever weapon, here I have the upper hand. God, in his infinite wisdom has seen fit to endow me with the kind of physique that was designed to make everybody else look and feel good at all times :D .

Therefore in future I shall at all times endeavour to remain unobtrusive, yet fashionably acceptable in a completely non confrontational manner. I shall abandon the use of garish and challenging kit and remain as "blended in" as possible However I should add that under no circumstances during the "season" will I surrender my Midgey net!

I am however considering a pink handbag and white scarf as advertised on Claire's website to adorn the neck and antlers of Raymond, for when Mr B comes to harvest him later this year. I am as of yet, undecided about the flower rhinestone earrings. :eek:

John

silly

this is getting really silly. a clash of rifles never bothers me, i always phone first and accessorise with a sling and buttler creeks, that way you can dress any rifle up or down to most occasions. One worth while point is that nickel plated brass with moly coated ballistic silvertips does not go with a wooden stock. this ammunition should only ever be used for vampires in your matrix like synthetic rifles

Guys

The mind boggles .

I just hope i have something to go with my tee-shirt for the CLA fair any thoughts, lol

I Don't want to clash

Joe

Only one possible comment.

There is a small island, many leagues from the Scottish coast, which is renowned as the Island of Kinnell.

No one ever cares about the toning or clashing of one's accessories.

It has a twin island, much closer to the coast.

The inner island is known as Near Kinnell and the distant island as Far K.......

Hi Guys

I load for

7x64
375 H+H
458 Lott

I dont waste a lot of time on lead development as long as the group is about MOA and use RL 7,10x,15 and 19.

Mark

Viht powder, cci primers, sierra/hornady bullets

l try and keep it as simple as poss if they go where l wont them to and do what l wont them to it works for me.

Back